Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Another "Top XX Game Shows of All Time" list  (Read 3432 times)

Matt Ottinger

Another "Top XX Game Shows of All Time" list
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2011, 07:17:36 PM »
[quote name='Caryn']
What sets Jeopardy apart from other game shows is the fact that contestants have to be very smart to win very little money.
Perhaps she should define very little...if she means the $1,000/2,000 consolation money, I'd argue that at least J! offers some money. Otherwise, her argument doesn't hold a lot of water. Average champ takes home about what, $15-20K a day or so? Even the $1,000 is a thousand more than I had an hour before.[/quote]
I think in her simple-minded view, an average Jeopardy payday of $20K or so pales in comparison to the millions bandied about on some of the modern quizzes.  That sort of inane analysis permeates every listing as well.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2011, 07:25:49 PM »
I think in her simple-minded view, an average Jeopardy payday of $20K or so pales in comparison to the millions bandied about on some of the modern quizzes.  That sort of inane analysis permeates every listing as well.
Makes you wonder what she's pulling down for such brilliant insights.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

dale_grass

« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2011, 07:45:15 PM »
Makes you wonder what she's pulling down for such brilliant insights.

The same thing I pull on to achieve insights of equal brilliance.  I flew through the list the first time I 'read' it; when I took my time I was awestruck.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2011, 10:14:31 PM »
Every show on the list was in production during the last decade. This betrays the writer's youth and lack of knowledge of television's 60+ year history.
No it doesn't. She was trying to get her piece done with a minimum of time and effort. That she succeeded admirably in her quest doesn't say anything about her knowledge or age, no matter how badly you want that to be true.

Password's a great option, but if they want to use shows of the last 5 years, then how about Cash Cab?
But the list isn't the Best Game Shows of the Last Five Years, it's Of All Time.

I get why she picked the entries she did. For the audience the site is aiming for, those are twelve titles that Joe Everyman will recognize. He may not watch them, but he recognizes them. Now, if instead the editor had paid her some decent coin and said "I want you to do some research and fact-checking," maybe we get some entries that would rank higher on our own Awesome-O-Meter, but wouldn't be as recognizable to the readers. And if the topic was "The Ten Best Game Shows You've Never Heard Of," then we get to see Three On A Match, Video Village and Split Second.
Travis L. Eberle