Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Report: Viera leaving Today  (Read 3046 times)

DrBear

Report: Viera leaving Today
« on: April 06, 2011, 09:52:08 AM »
The Hollywood Reporter is saying Meredith Viera may leave the Today Show to spend more time with family, especially her husband, who has MS.

Nothing in there about her leaving Millionaire, however. It's in large part speculation about who gets the NBC gig.
This isn't a plug, but you can ask me about my book.

GrandGame1440

« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2011, 01:09:31 PM »
I hear Katie Couric will be out of a day job as well. Hmmm...

gameshowcrazy

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2011, 04:23:52 PM »
She isn’t leaving Millionaire, just the Today show.  She doesn’t want to deal with the early morning grind anymore, part of it to take care of her husband who has MS.

bandit_bobby

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2011, 02:48:36 PM »
If Meredith does leave Millionaire, Cat Deeley should take over in Season 10.

gameshowcrazy

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2011, 07:57:02 PM »
If Meredith does leave Millionaire, Cat Deeley should take over in Season 10.

I hope not, nice to look at, but not good on this show.

Of all the guest hosts, I thought Sherri Shepherd was among the best.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2011, 01:44:05 AM »
Of all the guest hosts, I thought Sherri Shepherd was among the best.
what did you like? Her stilted delivery, her unemotional dismissal of players and calling for wrong answers? Her complete butchery of the time capsule question?

She was bad. Dave Price bad. And if we're going to pick people who already have a gig, my pick is Tom Bergeron.
Travis L. Eberle

DoorNumberFour

• ChristianCarrion.com
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2011, 09:30:54 AM »
And if we're going to pick people who already have a gig, my pick is Tom Bergeron.
I agree completely, but would he do another game show? I remember him saying at some point (maybe in his book, but I don't remember) that he didn't think he was particularly well-suited for another pure game show.
Digital Media Producer, National Archives of Game Show History
"Tell Us About Yourself: Conversations with Game Show Contestants" available on all streaming services
christian@christiancarrion.com

ChrisLambert!

• Overthrow, Sister Havana
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2011, 09:19:47 PM »
what did you like? Her stilted delivery, her unemotional dismissal of players and calling for wrong answers? Her complete butchery of the time capsule question?

I like the way she says "ham".
@lambertman

dmota104

« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2011, 09:11:35 PM »
But, seriously, back to the matter at hand.  Meredith's husband has been battling MS for some time.  *IF* he has taken the slightest turn for the worse, understandably, Meredith would want to free up her schedule and take care of him.  

If "Millionaire" tapes on a relatively accelerated schedule (read: if all the shows are taped over a three- or four-month period), Meredith could easily still host "Millionaire" by day and return to spousal responsibility by night.

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2011, 10:31:34 PM »
But, seriously, back to the matter at hand.  Meredith's husband has been battling MS for some time.  *IF* he has taken the slightest turn for the worse, understandably, Meredith would want to free up her schedule and take care of him.  

If "Millionaire" tapes on a relatively accelerated schedule (read: if all the shows are taped over a three- or four-month period), Meredith could easily still host "Millionaire" by day and return to spousal responsibility by night.
I think that's a pretty fair analysis.  Hosting a game show is easy money compared to the grind of a daily, two-hour, early-morning live program.  None of us know exactly what her personal situation is, but certainly one's a heck of a lot easier to do than the other.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

vtown7

« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2011, 06:36:16 AM »

I think that's a pretty fair analysis.  Hosting a game show is easy money compared to the grind of a daily, two-hour, early-morning live program.  None of us know exactly what her personal situation is, but certainly one's a heck of a lot easier to do than the other.

To add to this, just for informational sake: When I saw a taping of Millionaire in September 2009, at one point Meredith messed up a cue which led her to quip "I've been up since 2:30!".

So what others said - agreed.

R.