Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Facebook WWTBAM  (Read 3865 times)

Matt Ottinger

Facebook WWTBAM
« on: April 07, 2011, 10:18:38 PM »
A bunch of you have started sending me requests on what I'm assuming is a relatively new version of WWTBAM on Facebook.  "New" in that it incorporates the current, wacky format.  While I'm grateful for your trivia trust, I'm not sure I entirely understand the game.  The one time I played on my own, it seemed to be taking place in real time.  I'm usually not there when I get a request to answer a question.  Am I screwing up your chance to win by not being online at the precise moment you make your request?  If I get the question wrong, do you lose?  How exactly does it work?  I know we're not playing for real cash, but I like to be helpful, or at least believe that I'm not being unhelpful.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

chad1m

Facebook WWTBAM
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2011, 10:25:28 PM »
Am I screwing up your chance to win by not being online at the precise moment you make your request?
Nope. When a contestant jumps the question in his game, a) he gets credit for the question as if he had answered correctly (there's just no opportunity for a first-to-answer-correctly bonus) and b) he's giving it to a pre-selected friend. That friend has 48 hours to answer the question. If the friend gets it right, he and the person who sent it to him gets the credit for the value of the jumped question. If the friend answers incorrectly or doesn't get to it in two days, it just goes away and no one is harmed.

rialtus

Facebook WWTBAM
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2011, 11:12:50 PM »
...or you can be a curmudgeon like me and just block the game and not have to deal with it.

/and get off my yard!

TimK2003

Facebook WWTBAM
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2011, 06:40:08 PM »
Just noticed yesterday that now the Top 3 finishers (instead of just the #1 Finisher) in each game now get to go on to "Classic Millionaire".

The questions are starting to become all too familiar.  I'd hope they are adding more questions, but then again, this is Ludia we're talking about here

Kevin Prather

Facebook WWTBAM
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2011, 06:48:34 PM »
Just noticed yesterday that now the Top 3 finishers (instead of just the #1 Finisher) in each game now get to go on to "Classic Millionaire".

The questions are starting to become all too familiar.  I'd hope they are adding more questions, but then again, this is Ludia we're talking about here
My understanding is that every question is taken from the iPod/iPad game, and I've noticed that at least some of those are taken from previous episodes of the show.

chad1m

Facebook WWTBAM
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2011, 07:35:15 PM »
My understanding is that every question is taken from the iPod/iPad game
Some are but most of them aren't. Some have to have been written specifically for this game, as I've seen questions about events happening in recent months of 2011.

Thunder

Facebook WWTBAM
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2011, 11:27:11 PM »
I just got my first $1 Million question and it was the "First computer bug" one.

That one came after jumping over one a $500K one about Bill Clinton's two emails while president.

I've played the game 9 times now and made it to Classic Millionaire 8 of those.

Matt Ottinger

Facebook WWTBAM
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2011, 11:13:50 AM »
I still don't completely understand the scoring, or the point of the scoring (does anyone ever actually win anything?), but I have to admit this has become a bit of an addiction.  I enjoy opening it up in the morning and seeing how I can do with the lifeline questions people have sent me (5 of 7 today), and then usually getting one game in on my own.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

NickS

Facebook WWTBAM
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2011, 02:53:52 PM »
Basically - the object is to be the highest "money" scorer after 10 questions so that you can go to Classic Millionaire.  Scoring is based on how many people got the question wrong times the amount of the question.  The person that has the fastest finger also gets a bonus of the question's value (so if I was fastest finger and five other people got it wrong I'd win $6k on a $1k question ($5k plus $1k bonus)).

I don't know if - like iWin does sometimes - you can gain entries to win a prize but last time I played there wasn't.

I haven't had a chance to play in awhile but out of any of the Ludia ports, this is my favorite one.

/yes, take that with a shaker of salt
//yes, there has been bugs there, big surprise
« Last Edit: April 14, 2011, 02:56:33 PM by TeppanYaki »

mmb5

Facebook WWTBAM
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2011, 04:11:41 PM »
I still don't completely understand the scoring, or the point of the scoring (does anyone ever actually win anything?), but I have to admit this has become a bit of an addiction.  I enjoy opening it up in the morning and seeing how I can do with the lifeline questions people have sent me (5 of 7 today), and then usually getting one game in on my own.
From what I've deduced, it's this:

Number of people who got the question wrong (or 1 if nobody got it wrong) * the assigned value

And for the speed bonus, rounded to the next 100:
0-1 got it wrong: the above
2 got it wrong: 50% of above
3 got it wrong: 25% of above
4+ got it wrong: 20% of above
Portions of this post not affecting the outcome have been edited or recreated.

ten96lt

Facebook WWTBAM
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2011, 05:51:46 PM »

Number of people who got the question wrong (or 1 if nobody got it wrong) * the assigned value

Actually for the speed bonus, it just if you're the first person to answer the question correctly (without jumping the question) your multiplier for the question increases by one. So if say 5 people get a $5000 question wrong. Four of the correct responders get $25,000 (5 incorrect responders x$5000) and the first person that got it correct gets $30,000 ($5000 x 6 (5 incorrect responses + 1 for being the first to correctly answer)).

TimK2003

Facebook WWTBAM
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2011, 06:00:51 PM »

Actually for the speed bonus, it just if you're the first person to answer the question correctly (without jumping the question) your multiplier for the question increases by one. So if say 5 people get a $5000 question wrong. Four of the correct responders get $25,000 (5 incorrect responders x$5000) and the first person that got it correct gets $30,000 ($5000 x 6 (5 incorrect responses + 1 for being the first to correctly answer)).

Other things on the scoring & speed bonus I have picked up on:

1) If 2 or more players are tied money-wise in the standings, regardless of their position on the board, their ranking is based on how quickly they answered the last question.
2) Only those who do NOT skip the question are eligible for the "fastest fingers" bonus.
3) If there is only one person who correctly answered the question, they get the question value x # of wrong answers, but do not get the "fastest finger bonus".

Kevin Prather

Facebook WWTBAM
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2011, 06:39:33 PM »
Evidently the makers of the game have just added 5,000 questions to the game.

mxc0427

Facebook WWTBAM
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2011, 08:42:40 PM »
Evidently the makers of the game have just added 5,000 questions to the game.

And recently, the Top 3 players now advance to Classic Millionaire.

Thunder

Facebook WWTBAM
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2011, 09:58:58 PM »
My second $1 Million question was the First Aerosol Can one.

Has anybody got an original $1 Million question yet?