Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: TPiR screen displays  (Read 3810 times)

LA the DJ

TPiR screen displays
« on: April 09, 2011, 04:02:29 AM »
In watching the show today, I noticed that the Plinko display (along with some others) washes out a little when viewed from a different angle. This lead me to wonder if anyone on here knows what type of displays they use on the show. LCD, LED or plasma? Or are they different types in different games?
Help control the moron population, if you know a moron, kick him in a strategic location.

JamesVipond

TPiR screen displays
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2011, 08:02:27 AM »
Learn all about them here:
Fonts from The Price Is Right
"He has big eyes ... and they're BLUE!"

-- a boy describing Bill Cullen on Child's Play

TheLastResort

TPiR screen displays
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2011, 08:46:09 AM »
Learn all about them here:
Fonts from The Price Is Right

Not even close to what the OP was talking about.

tpirfan28

TPiR screen displays
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2011, 09:26:55 AM »
In watching the show today, I noticed that the Plinko display (along with some others) washes out a little when viewed from a different angle. This lead me to wonder if anyone on here knows what type of displays they use on the show. LCD, LED or plasma? Or are they different types in different games?
I've read plasma in a few places.
When you're at the grocery game and you hear the beep, think of all the fun you could have at "Crazy Rachel's Checkout Counter!"

Chief-O

• .....and it goes like this!!!
TPiR screen displays
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2011, 09:32:06 AM »
Something tells me they might be LCDs. They do "wash out" at an angle, plus, I bet it would be cheaper to have custom made sizes made [as opposed to plasma].
There are three things I've learned never to discuss with people: Religion, politics, and the proper wrapping of microphone cables.

Mr. Brown

TPiR screen displays
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2011, 11:22:59 AM »
Something tells me they might be LCDs. They do "wash out" at an angle, plus, I bet it would be cheaper to have custom made sizes made [as opposed to plasma].

I second that guess. LCDs have a much lower viewing angle than plasma displays, which is probably why they're looking washed out in certain shots.

I would note that in the "behind the scenes" video of the creation of the new Any Number, Bente mentions "plasma screens" being used, at least for that particular game.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2011, 11:33:13 AM by Mr. Brown »
Cheers,
Mr. Brown, Esq.
‎"I am on a drug. It's called Charlie Sheen. It's not available because if you try it, you will die. Your face will melt off and your children will weep over your exploded body." -Charlie Sheen

jmangin

TPiR screen displays
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2011, 11:50:06 AM »
...plus, I bet it would be cheaper to have custom made sizes made...
I agree about LCD. I think the displays are the standard widescreen dimensions, though. The showcase displays appear to be one single screen for each podium with a cover hiding the middle part of the display, and the Plinko scoreboard could just as easily be hiding the bottom half of the display.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
TPiR screen displays
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2011, 02:11:51 PM »
Plasma screens also have a way higher refresh rate, thereby making them a whole lot easier to sync to be shot with TV cameras.

And yes, what Mangin said. Rest assured there are no "custom"-sized screens being made there. Every single prop I have seen on that show is using a standard widescreen monitor in some way.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

bradhig

TPiR screen displays
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2011, 12:47:36 PM »
Those HD screens they use for trips now just don't have the same effect as the old trip cards that filled up the big doors.  A model standing in front of one of those big displays had a bigger impact then one standing by an HD display.  Also the trip highlights used to be on crawl board years ago before video footage replace them.  I miss the old crawl boards they were used for several things on the show.

TonicBH

TPiR screen displays
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2011, 12:56:52 PM »
Those HD screens they use for trips now just don't have the same effect as the old trip cards that filled up the big doors.  A model standing in front of one of those big displays had a bigger impact then one standing by an HD display.  Also the trip highlights used to be on crawl board years ago before video footage replace them.  I miss the old crawl boards they were used for several things on the show.

Unfortunately it's not 1990 anymore. I liked them too, but I can understand why they use video footage and big displays: Because it's cheaper.

/better than the green screen idea they did about a few years back... hoo boy that was a terrible idea.
You Found a Secret Area: The place where I write about dumb game show and video game stuff occasionally.

Steve Gavazzi

TPiR screen displays
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2011, 09:09:15 PM »
Unfortunately it's not 1990 anymore. I liked them too, but I can understand why they use video footage and big displays: Because it's cheaper.

/better than the green screen idea they did about a few years back... hoo boy that was a terrible idea.
Actually, the skins were ditched because Drew decided they were ugly.  The green screens were Bart's solution, and then the video screens were his solution for the green screens.  I can't imagine they were cheaper than just keeping the skins.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2011, 09:09:34 PM by Steve Gavazzi »