Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Jeopardy: An Episode and a Question  (Read 5754 times)

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
Jeopardy: An Episode and a Question
« on: April 12, 2011, 12:00:27 AM »
I'm posting this to the main forum because I have a question, but it came as result of DownsA530 posting the 2nd episode of the '78 revival to YouTube. Check out the bonus round for a funny soundbyte, as a pickup is hastily edited in to the proceedings.

In this particular episode, the categories Hodgepodge and Notorious come up - categories that found their way to the Trebek version. What other classic special categories made the jump? Were there any regular fixtures of the Art Fleming version that Trebek never did? Or at least, categories that didn't have the same frequency as they did in the old days?

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

trainman

« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2011, 12:10:11 AM »
Were there any regular fixtures of the Art Fleming version that Trebek never did?

Saying the phrase "Thank you, Don Pardo."

Or at least, categories that didn't have the same frequency as they did in the old days?

I would guess pretty much every category that was used on the Fleming version is used less often now, since the categories are more varied -- can't use "OPERA" as often if you've also got "CROSSWORD CLUES 'Q'" in rotation.
trainman is a man of trains

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2011, 12:13:37 AM »
Saying the phrase "Thank you, Don Pardo."

Har har. I guess I should have said: were there any categories with the regularity of say, Before & After nowadays, that didn't survive from the Fleming version to the 80s?

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

Twentington

• I just got to win / Spin the Wheel again
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2011, 12:44:15 AM »
Wasn't Potent Potables around in the Fleming era too?
Bobby Peacock

JepMasta

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2011, 12:54:39 PM »
One of the faves from that era was "Those Darn Etruscans" (I never got that joke) which was used a lot in the 60s adn 70s but has only been used a few times in the Trebek version

MyronMMeyer

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2011, 01:21:52 PM »
One of the faves from that era was "Those Darn Etruscans" (I never got that joke) which was used a lot in the 60s adn 70s but has only been used a few times in the Trebek version

That isn't true at all.

"t almost started as a joke, because the researchers were kidding around and made a list of things they were tired of researching. One of the things they were sick of was Etruscan formalwear. Just because they said they didn't want to research it, I decided I'm going to write a whole category about Etruscans. I called it Those Darn Etruscans. The facts in it were serious. I just thought it would get a laugh. I didn't think it would get on the air. But the head writer liked it. It got on the air, and for some reason, people really remember it."

http://www2.timesdispatch.com/entertainment/2007/jul/23/-rtd_2007_07_23_0001-ar-196419/

-M

Ian Wallis

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2011, 08:50:21 AM »
Interestingly, they hadn't created an edit of the closing theme yet where they chopped off the intro.  If you listen closely to the closing credits, a little bit of the intro before the main tune starts is present.

It was also good to hear it without applause.  The Griffin shows at the time always did that if they were running a bit late - instead of the host saying "goodbye", they'd go right into the fee plugs (from commercial) without applause and then the applause would start as soon as they were over.  Wheel of Fortune did that frequently back then as well.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2011, 08:51:26 AM by Ian Wallis »
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!