Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Game show auditions  (Read 4180 times)

Stevek83

Game show auditions
« on: April 16, 2011, 10:23:32 AM »
Back when Family Feud and Wheel were on twice a day, did contestants get to choose which edition they wanted to audition for? I used FF and Wheel as examples, but my question goes for any GS that had two versions concurrently playing.

davidhammett

Game show auditions
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2011, 12:15:03 PM »
Back when Family Feud and Wheel were on twice a day, did contestants get to choose which edition they wanted to audition for? I used FF and Wheel as examples, but my question goes for any GS that had two versions concurrently playing.
When I was on Wheel, you auditioned for the show, not for a specific version.  They would then have you come in for whichever version they wanted.  I never tried asking about the other version, so I don't know how they would have responded.

vtown7

Game show auditions
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2011, 12:56:39 PM »
ISTR reading several years ago on the internet about someone who got on Wheel: initially they were told that they were to be on the nighttime all-cash version and accepted (turning down a spot on Scrabble) to be bumped to the daytime version.

Matt Ottinger

Game show auditions
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2011, 01:04:52 PM »
When I was on Sale of the Century, the auditioning contestant didn't have a choice.  The contestant coordinators decided which one they wanted you on.  They implied to those of us in the "syndicated" pool that we were preferential somehow, but they might very well have told the daytime bunch exactly the same thing.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

colonial

Game show auditions
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2011, 03:27:50 PM »
When WWTBAM did its 10th anniversary shows for ABC in 2009, those who auditioned at contestant searches were auditioning for both the 10th anniversary (nighttime) and syndicated (Vieira) versions.  

IIRC, Barry/Enright would have wanna-be contestants test for both TJW and TTD in the same audition.

JD

Winkfan

Game show auditions
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2011, 04:08:44 PM »
When I was on Wheel, you auditioned for the show, not for a specific version.  They would then have you come in for whichever version they wanted.  I never tried asking about the other version, so I don't know how they would have responded.

When I tried out for Card Sharks in 1986, they said we'd either end up on the Eubanks or Rafferty versions. I was partial to Eubanks at the moment (for obvious reasons), but I didn't make it past the first cut anyhoo.....

Cordially,
Tammy
In Loving Memory: Dolores "Roxanne" Rosedale (1929-2024) & Peter Marshall (1926-2024)

gameshowcrazy

Game show auditions
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2011, 05:06:57 PM »
When WWTBAM did its 10th anniversary shows for ABC in 2009, those who auditioned at contestant searches were auditioning for both the 10th anniversary (nighttime) and syndicated (Vieira) versions.  

IIRC, Barry/Enright would have wanna-be contestants test for both TJW and TTD in the same audition.

JD

re:  WWTBAM--

When auditioning for Millionaire syndicated, you were told you would be placed in the pool for both, but the actual auditions for the 10th anniversary edition shows were over the phone, and were the only auditions for those shows, and a person who passed the phone in test were not in the pool for the syndicated show.  They never did say how many spots from each pool of contestants would be used, maybe it was 5/5 with 1/1 for the alternates, or there could've been some other mix.

Just wanted to clarify.

Jeremy Nelson

Game show auditions
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2011, 06:08:24 PM »
For Millionaire even now, your testing process includes the normal shows and the Million Dollar Movie Week.
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.

GiraffeBoy

• "He can solve puzzles, that's for sure."-Pat Sajak
Game show auditions
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2011, 07:20:50 PM »
When DoND went to syndication, I tried out. The interviewers made note whether they wanted me on the network or syndicated version.

--Charlie
"B, 2 hours, 52 minutes, 59 seconds...final answer?"
WWTBAM Play It! DCA Million Point Winner #42 - Stick your neck out with pride!

ten96lt

Game show auditions
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2011, 12:37:48 AM »

JD

re:  WWTBAM--

When auditioning for Millionaire syndicated, you were told you would be placed in the pool for both, but the actual auditions for the 10th anniversary edition shows were over the phone, and were the only auditions for those shows, and a person who passed the phone in test were not in the pool for the syndicated show.  They never did say how many spots from each pool of contestants would be used, maybe it was 5/5 with 1/1 for the alternates, or there could've been some other mix.

Just wanted to clarify.
For each show during 10th anniversary, 5 contestants were picked from the contestant pool that were also eligible for the syndicated show and the other 5 were picked from those who got through the phone game and selected that certain tape date when they passed (they were not eligible for the syndicated show if not selected for the prime time show). I remembered reading it in the official rules when I auditioned around that time.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2011, 12:38:43 AM by ten96lt »

pyrfan

Game show auditions
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2011, 01:20:23 AM »
When I got my letter in the '80s telling me that I had passed the "Pyramid" auditions, it said that I could be chosen for either the $25,000 or the $100,000 version.

Brendan

ET206

Game show auditions
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2011, 01:22:27 AM »
When TPiR was doing syndicated versions, did the people waiting in line to see the taping know ahead of time which version they were about to see?

tidefan12

Game show auditions
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2011, 03:25:33 AM »
I was originally in the prime time pool for Weakest Link.  They mentioned when they called that there was a possibility the remaining episodes would be celebs, which turned out to be true.  About 2 weeks later, I got a call from the casting folks for the syndie version telling me they got my name from the prime time pool.  I ended up on a sweeps week episode of the syndie version w/ 5 other radio personalities.

TimK2003

Game show auditions
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2011, 11:43:05 AM »
When TPiR was doing syndicated versions, did the people waiting in line to see the taping know ahead of time which version they were about to see?

Logical assumption is, for all the syndicated shows not hosted by Bob Barker, the syndicated show host's name would be listed as the "star" on the tickets (i.e. James, Davidson, Kennedy...)

Jeremy Nelson

Game show auditions
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2011, 01:59:20 PM »

Logical assumption is, for all the syndicated shows not hosted by Bob Barker, the syndicated show host's name would be listed as the "star" on the tickets (i.e. James, Davidson, Kennedy...)
...and the nice thing, at least about the Davidson version, was that each audience taped 3 shows, so their chances of getting picked were the same as the daytime version. I don't know if the same held true for Kennedy or James's runs.
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.