Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Anne Robinson Leaves The Weakest Link  (Read 1729 times)

DoItRockapella

Anne Robinson Leaves The Weakest Link
« on: April 22, 2011, 05:44:11 PM »
From Bother's Bar, linking to this article.

Quite a surprise. I would suggest George Gray, but he has a new gig.

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2011, 06:10:42 PM »
I'm wondering whether it's a comment on Americans as media consumers, the quality of the British show, or what, but I'm surprised Link lasted that long. Perhaps it's purely personal - I can be all about a show one month, and totally cold on it the next. I understand where Wheel and Jeopardy carved their way into daily habit for many Americans; is it the same way over there with Countdown, Link and other British shows that stay(ed) a while? Or is it like the current U.S. syndicated crop - no great shakes with total viewer numbers, but profitable enough to warrant keeping around?

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

jhshifris

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2011, 07:07:34 PM »
This is surprising.  NBC started showing The Weakest Link 10 years ago and has it been that long since Anne started hosting it?

Brig Bother

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2011, 07:09:45 PM »
Basically the latter I think, they have inexpensiveness and inertia on their side. Countdown could have gone a long time ago but it costs 2p to make, it's good for the channel's image and Deal or No Deal pulls it up a bit anyway. Link is still capable of pulling in 2m on a very good day, and it's arguable that Weakest Link set the scene for making the afternoons a ratings battleground (it was pulling over 5m an afternoon at its peak, most shows don't make that in primetime these days), and why you see lots of different shows tried out in the afternoons in order to find a new sellable hit.

Greggo

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2011, 01:10:26 AM »
The Weakest Link was still on the air?

wdm1219inpenna

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2011, 01:06:17 PM »
Somebody has to say it...might as well be me...

I can imagine how the meeting went.

(BBC Executive)...Anne Robinson...you are the WEAKEST LINK.......goodbye!

Ten plus year run though is very commendable.  I rather enjoyed her version on NBC and it's a shame it got axed so fast.  They got too "cutesy" bringing on Brady Bunch actors and other assorted "special" themes instead of just using regular contestants.  That's what killed it for me.