Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Game Shows...Like Wine?  (Read 4121 times)

TimK2003

Game Shows...Like Wine?
« on: April 29, 2011, 11:41:07 AM »
I believe a while ago, there was a thread that asked what shows you loved, or were mesmerized by in first run, then later on in life you asked, "Why did I ever watch that show??".

Moving on to the flip side, were there any shows you didn't think much of or avoided when they first came out, but you took a great liking to after seeing them in reruns after a while, or in tape trades, or on YouTube?

I would have to say that any incarnation of Password prior to P+ was just a drag, but after seeing it in later years via GSN & tape trades, I had a bigger respect & liking for the simple show.

Others?

Ian Wallis

Game Shows...Like Wine?
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2011, 12:59:15 PM »
Several, but two that come to mind are:  the '75 You Don't Say.  Wasn't really interested in it back then.  Only a couple of episodes are around but I enjoy them and would like to see more.  Another is Classic Concentration.  I always loved Concentration, but wasn't too interested in the '87 redo when it was in first-run.  I've acquired several episodes in tape trades over the years and quite like it now.
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

Jimmy Owen

Game Shows...Like Wine?
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2011, 01:49:27 PM »
Mine are more about time slot choices.  "Gambit" was a show that usually was my second choice to whatever NBC was showing.  In the summer of '76, I really started looking forward to "Gambit" being on every day to the point of rearranging my activites to make sure I could see it.  Of course, it was gone that fall. I think it may have to do with occasionally being opposite "Wheel of Fortune."  For some reason I have never had great affection for "WOF," either on NBC or in syndication.  It pretty much wiped out the variety of game shows in prime access, so no other game shows are attempted in that slot.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

Clay Zambo

Game Shows...Like Wine?
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2011, 04:22:38 PM »
I have far greater respect for MATCH GAME '7x than I did at the time.  The writing, the panel arrangement--it was a pretty slick deal.
czambo@mac.com

William_S.

Game Shows...Like Wine?
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2011, 04:34:19 PM »
Super Password. To me back at the age of 6-8 I thought it was BOORRRRRRRRRRING! What is it? Just Two people on each team just spouting 1 word at a time so they can say what the password is, then say what the secret word is behind the card.. wow... and it seemed most of the time they were wrong!  This was how I felt about 24-22 years ago. Now I enjoy this game. Just the other night I almost watched a full episode of it! and I was just browsing on FB!!
« Last Edit: March 08, 2012, 10:03:53 PM by William_S. »

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
Game Shows...Like Wine?
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2011, 04:41:07 PM »
For me, WHEW!  Like Jimmy, it was more a matter of time slot than anything else but at the time I found it very hard to follow.  Seeing clips on YouTube and other outlets, I regret that now.
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

Kevin Prather

Game Shows...Like Wine?
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2011, 04:48:49 PM »
Initially I had a disdain for Win Ben Stein's Money, just because in 1998, I watched it pig all the game show Emmys that year, and I was bummed that my beloved Price is Right and Wheel of Fortune had been beaten by this game show I had never heard of. Once I started actually watching it, I thoroughly enjoyed it.

The Pyramids

Game Shows...Like Wine?
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2011, 06:29:06 PM »
I enjoyed 'Russian Roulette' more during its return trip to prime time in 2008.

Twentington

• I just got to win / Spin the Wheel again
Game Shows...Like Wine?
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2011, 09:30:26 AM »
I hated Whammy! at first but grew to like it, even if I still found it inferior to PYL.

Ditto Russian Roulette. Thought the hole thing was a tad gimmicky at first, but then I remembered the "torture shows" like The Chair and The Chamber. Falling through a pit barely more than your own height is nothing compared to getting frostbitten, impaled and vivisected all at the same time just for a shot at the big money.
Bobby Peacock

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
Game Shows...Like Wine?
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2011, 11:07:42 PM »
impaled and vivisected all at the same time just for a shot at the big money.
Funny, I don't remember anyone being jabbed with sharp objects or surgery being performed on The Chair.

/54 minutes 'til the post above me gets deleted
//Over or under?
« Last Edit: May 15, 2011, 11:43:08 PM by Modor »
--Mark
Phil 4:13

Jimmy Owen

Game Shows...Like Wine?
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2011, 05:34:47 AM »
impaled and vivisected all at the same time just for a shot at the big money.
Funny, I don't remember anyone being jabbed with sharp objects or surgery being performed on The Chair.

/54 minutes 'til the post above me gets deleted
//Over or under?
I don't either.  Maybe they were unaired episodes?
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

SamJ93

Game Shows...Like Wine?
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2011, 11:31:48 AM »
[quote name='Jimmy Owen' timestamp='1305538487' post='2
I don't either.  Maybe they were unaired episodes?
[/quote]

Maybe he was mistakenly remembering what it felt like to sit through an episode of "The Chamber"...
It's a well-known fact that Lincoln loved mayonnaise!

Twentington

• I just got to win / Spin the Wheel again
Game Shows...Like Wine?
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2011, 04:54:59 PM »
Maybe he was mistakenly remembering what it felt like to sit through an episode of "The Chamber"...

I was going to say "it's called hyperbole", but that explanation works better. :D
Bobby Peacock

davemackey

Game Shows...Like Wine?
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2011, 10:38:06 AM »
Time slot wars! Those were the days. Unfortunately some shows got lost in the shuffle, until their time slots changed or other circumstances warranted. The earliest days of "Pyramid" on CBS were overshadowed by the gloss of "Baffle", for instance, and we really never started watching the show until its move to ABC. We probably shared a lot of the burden of "Spin-Off"'s cancellation because more often than not we were watching "Celebrity Sweepstakes".

BrandonFG

Game Shows...Like Wine?
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2011, 10:53:09 AM »
I originally wrote "1 vs 100" off as just another dumb Endemol/Endamnol/Endumbol/Endemaul product, but it grew to be one of my favorites from the last 5 or 6 years, which says a lot.

I immediately dismissed "Greed" as a "Millionaire" ripoff, but came to enjoy that one as well.
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!