Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Greed question  (Read 4601 times)

Kevin Prather

Greed question
« on: May 11, 2011, 08:04:13 PM »
Watching the clip of Dan Avila's team's $1m question, this scenario never happened on the show, but perhaps someone has seen a rules sheet and might know the answer.

On the $1m question (question 7), how is the money distributed if some of the players, but not all, take the opt-out?
For example:
Player A is playing for $400,000
Player B is playing for $400,000
Player C is playing for $200,000.

Say player C takes the car that is offered as an opt-out. The other two go for the million and win. Do they each get $500,000? Common sense would say they do. And if so, wouldn't it be in, say, Player A's best interest to instill doubt among the other players in the hopes that they take the car?

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
Greed question
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2011, 08:10:13 PM »
Everyone who opts out wins the bribe at that level, as in the Super Greed episode where the remaining two players each grab the car + $75,000 and haul ass.
Travis L. Eberle

Kevin Prather

Greed question
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2011, 08:15:36 PM »
Everyone who opts out wins the bribe at that level, as in the Super Greed episode where the remaining two players each grab the car + $75,000 and haul ass.
And then the remaining players divide up the cash prize if they win, right? Getting back to the point about faking out the teammates.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2011, 08:15:57 PM by Kevin Prather »

davidhammett

Greed question
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2011, 08:26:19 PM »
Watching the clip of Dan Avila's team's $1m question, this scenario never happened on the show, but perhaps someone has seen a rules sheet and might know the answer.

On the $1m question (question 7), how is the money distributed if some of the players, but not all, take the opt-out?
For example:
Player A is playing for $400,000
Player B is playing for $400,000
Player C is playing for $200,000.

Say player C takes the car that is offered as an opt-out. The other two go for the million and win. Do they each get $500,000? Common sense would say they do. And if so, wouldn't it be in, say, Player A's best interest to instill doubt among the other players in the hopes that they take the car?
If C takes the car and A and B win, they each get $500,000.  If A or B takes the car, and the other two win, then A or B (whomever is left) gets $666,667, and C gets $333,333.

Joe Mello

• has hit the time release button
Greed question
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2011, 11:20:06 PM »
If A or B takes the car, and the other two win, then A or B (whomever is left) gets $666,667, and C gets $333,333.
Wouldn't the 2/5 share that the departing player had be split up evenly amongst the two remaining players, making it 60/40?
This signature is currently under construction.

davidhammett

Greed question
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2011, 09:46:34 AM »
If A or B takes the car, and the other two win, then A or B (whomever is left) gets $666,667, and C gets $333,333.
Wouldn't the 2/5 share that the departing player had be split up evenly amongst the two remaining players, making it 60/40?
No... it's split proportionately between the two remaining players.  If A leaves, then since B is playing for twice as much as C, then B gets 2/3 of A's total (thus $400,000 plus $266,667) and C gets 1/3 of A's total (thus $200,000 plus $133,333).

The only time we ever split the monies equally among the players when they were playing for unequal amounts were in the early buyouts (e.g., pass up your chance at $200,000 and take $20,000; if there were 4 players playing for $80K, $40K, $40K, $40K, they would each get $5K in the buyout).  And of course, as mentioned earlier, when the buyout involved the car, each player who opted out got the car (and the cash that went with it).

Kevin Prather

Greed question
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2011, 09:10:10 PM »
David, here are a couple more hypotheticals that you'll undoubtedly know the answer to.

1) If more than one player reached the final question, did it play out as a normal question, or did they face the 30-second timer?

2) If Dan Avila had won his final question, would he have won $2.2 million, or $1.4 million (2.2m minus the 800k Melissa and Curtis won)?

Jeremy Nelson

Greed question
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2011, 10:22:58 PM »
David, here are a couple more hypotheticals that you'll undoubtedly know the answer to.

1) If more than one player reached the final question, did it play out as a normal question, or did they face the 30-second timer?

2) If Dan Avila had won his final question, would he have won $2.2 million, or $1.4 million (2.2m minus the 800k Melissa and Curtis won)?
I do know the answer to 2: He would have won the full jackpot; right before revealing the final answer, Chuck said "For 2.2 million dollars..."
« Last Edit: May 12, 2011, 10:24:42 PM by Jeremy Nelson »
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.

Kevin Prather

Greed question
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2011, 10:28:10 PM »

I do know the answer to 2: He would have won the full jackpot; right before revealing the final answer, Chuck said "For 2.2 million dollars..."
Chuck did say that, but why would the show pay out more than the top prize in that situation? That'd be $3 million to pay out.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2011, 10:28:28 PM by Kevin Prather »

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Greed question
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2011, 10:32:05 PM »
Chuck did say that, but why would the show pay out more than the top prize in that situation? That'd be $3 million to pay out.
I'm pretty sure their prize budget was not based on teams reaching that situation very often.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Neumms

Greed question
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2011, 09:35:50 AM »
I'm pretty sure their prize budget was not based on teams reaching that situation very often.

Or anyone actually divining a correct answer if they did.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2011, 09:36:02 AM by Neumms »

davidhammett

Greed question
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2011, 12:50:29 AM »

Jeremy is right... the show would have ended up paying out $3 million.

As for #1, whoever was left would face the 30-second timer.  They would be allowed to confer, then have 10 seconds to give their response.  In Dan's case, he just conferred with himself.

Kevin Prather

Greed question
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2011, 01:05:30 AM »

As for #1, whoever was left would face the 30-second timer.  They would be allowed to confer, then have 10 seconds to give their response.  In Dan's case, he just conferred with himself.
Very interesting. With respect to the others in this thread, I like to hear that from someone who actually worked with the show. Much appreciated. :)

davidhammett

Greed question
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2011, 01:35:55 AM »

Very interesting. With respect to the others in this thread, I like to hear that from someone who actually worked with the show. Much appreciated. :)
My pleasure.  It was my first significant involvement with a nationally-televised show, and the only regular show that I worked with from development to cancellation.  It's hard for me to believe it's been over 10 years ago!

Kevin Prather

Greed question
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2011, 01:50:17 AM »
My pleasure.  It was my first significant involvement with a nationally-televised show, and the only regular show that I worked with from development to cancellation.  It's hard for me to believe it's been over 10 years ago!
No kidding! Were there ever discussions to revive or syndicate the show?