Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: The Big Spin  (Read 2763 times)

Vahan_Nisanian

The Big Spin
« on: May 10, 2011, 01:54:27 PM »
1) What was the exact premiere date? At first, the wikipedia article says October 28, 1985, but then it says it was September 28, 1985.

2) What was the shows' broadcast history in the Los Angeles area, and what stations/time was it on in that city?

Jimmy Owen

The Big Spin
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2011, 02:53:12 PM »
My back issues of TV Guide have it on KABC Mondays at 10pm  and moving to Channel 11 on 1/25/86.  Saturday night at 7:30. (Corrected from original post quoted below)
« Last Edit: May 10, 2011, 04:27:19 PM by Jimmy Owen »
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

tvrandywest

The Big Spin
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2011, 03:47:14 PM »
1) What was the exact premiere date? At first, the wikipedia article says October 28, 1985, but then it says it was September 28, 1985.

2) What was the shows' broadcast history in the Los Angeles area, and what stations/time was it on in that city?

Can't tell you about the premiere, but know intimately about it's final years. I did announce and warm-up for the final 4 or 5 years, with hosts Pat Finn and Maiquel Alejo for Jonathan Goodson and his great staff. As I said at the top of every episode, "It's the biggest money game show on Earth," and it was when measured by the cumulative total winnings over the years. "Big Spin" aired on KCAL in Los Angeles, and our last tape date was November 16, 2008 at KCET Studios (recently purchased by the Scientology folks!)

After more than 20 years with Goodson the lottery decided they wanted a fresh look and hired another production company. The show was off the air after a brief run reportedly because of some alleged S&P issues.

Great memories of a fun cast, staff and crew!

Randy
tvrandywest.com
The story behind the voice you know and love... the voice of a generation of game shows: Johnny Olson!

Celebrate the centennial of the America's favorite announcer with "Johnny Olson: A Voice in Time."

Preview the book free: click "Johnny O Tribute" http://www.tvrandywest.com

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
The Big Spin
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2011, 04:08:49 PM »
My back issues of TV Guide have it debuting on Channel 11 on 1/25/86.  Saturday night at 7:30.
Then they are from a market that didn't pick the show up from the outset, since we know the big to-do about the woman suing because her seismic shocks from jumping up and down popped the ball loose happened on 12/30/85.

I know it was the fall of '85 because I was a freshman in high school the year the CA Lottery started up. Of the two dates the OP cited, I am more likely to believe the 9/28/85 one, since it was a Saturday, and with rare exception (I'd say no exception, but I don't know that 100% for sure) the show aired on the weekend, most often Saturday nights.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Jimmy Owen

The Big Spin
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2011, 04:21:55 PM »
My back issues of TV Guide have it debuting on Channel 11 on 1/25/86.  Saturday night at 7:30.
Then they are from a market that didn't pick the show up from the outset, since we know the big to-do about the woman suing because her seismic shocks from jumping up and down popped the ball loose happened on 12/30/85.

I know it was the fall of '85 because I was a freshman in high school the year the CA Lottery started up. Of the two dates the OP cited, I am more likely to believe the 9/28/85 one, since it was a Saturday, and with rare exception (I'd say no exception, but I don't know that 100% for sure) the show aired on the weekend, most often Saturday nights.
You're correct, Chris.  When the show moved to Channel 11, TVG treated it as if it debuted all over again.  I corrected the original post after you quoted it.  It was on Channel 7 in the fall of 85, after Monday Night Football and Hardcastle and McCormick, so the time slot was somewhat fluid, but listed at 10pm.  I purchased my back issues from ebay years after the fact, I live in Michigan, but I collect the TVG issues from Los Angeles.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2011, 04:25:37 PM by Jimmy Owen »
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

DoItRockapella

The Big Spin
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2011, 05:13:31 PM »
If we're asking questions about "The Big Spin," here's mine. I know that after the show was discontinued, there was a period of time where Big Spin scratchers were honored via nontelevised episodes. What were those like? Was Pat Finn still around?

Make Me A Millionaire had S&P issues? Haven't heard that one before.

tvrandywest

The Big Spin
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2011, 09:26:11 PM »
If we're asking questions about "The Big Spin," here's mine. I know that after the show was discontinued, there was a period of time where Big Spin scratchers were honored via nontelevised episodes. What were those like? Was Pat Finn still around?

Make Me A Millionaire had S&P issues? Haven't heard that one before.

Yes, Big Spin themed scratcher lottery tickets were around past the last airdate of the Big Spin television show. Pat was not involved in those spins of the big wheel, or whatever means were used to determine the payouts. As those events were not televised, there was no need to have a host, lighting, a TV crew or (alas) an announcer present   ;-).

Randy
tvrandywest.com
The story behind the voice you know and love... the voice of a generation of game shows: Johnny Olson!

Celebrate the centennial of the America's favorite announcer with "Johnny Olson: A Voice in Time."

Preview the book free: click "Johnny O Tribute" http://www.tvrandywest.com

DoItRockapella

The Big Spin
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2011, 09:48:10 PM »
Thanks Randy. I've never understood what people have against Pat Finn. Can you honestly imagine anyone else hosting "Shop Til You Drop"?

Don't give me JD Roberto. Just don't.

Vahan_Nisanian

The Big Spin
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2011, 10:49:56 PM »
Clemom79 and Jimmy Owen, I did a little research, and found out that the premiere date was October 28, 1985.

Article here

Woolery only hosted the first four episodes. At the start of the 11/4/85 episode, which is on YouTube, he said that so far, they had given away $2,700,000. Oh yeah, and by the end of Chuck's third episode, which is also on YT, they gave away $800,000, for a grand total of $12,260,000.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2011, 11:14:44 PM by gameshowlover87 »