Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Close Enough...  (Read 3189 times)

TimK2003

Close Enough...
« on: May 15, 2011, 08:19:54 PM »
Doing a 180 on the recent J! thread on the Berenstain Bears ruling, what shows had the most lax rules when it came to determining correct answers?

The non-Donnymid Pyramid formats were pretty good at "dinging" answers that were close enough as well as Match Game, but I think the shows that were the most lenient were "Face The Music" and the Sandy Frank/Jim Lange version of "Name That Tune".  

Letting contestants practically recite a whole verse of a song for a correct answer, or even being one word off was OK on Sandy's shows.  Ralph Edwards' versions were much better at making sure that answers were correct, even going as far to say in the $100,000 tunes that there was to be "no leeway" when giving an answer.  

Any others?

gameshowcrazy

Close Enough...
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2011, 09:50:45 PM »
Just my opinion, don't know if others feel the same, but I feel Jeopardy has been very inconsistent in recent seasons.

Jimmy Owen

Close Enough...
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2011, 10:24:54 PM »
Isn't it ironic that on "The Price Is Right," the price is almost never right?  And when it is, there's a big controversy?
« Last Edit: May 15, 2011, 10:25:38 PM by Jimmy Owen »
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

BrandonFG

Close Enough...
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2011, 11:25:11 PM »
Pyramid's early years. I remember them allowing "Things You Iron" for "Things You Press" (or vice versa). In later years, they'd put direct synonym in parentheses. Feud seems to be pretty lenient in branching answers into one category.
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

pyrfan

Close Enough...
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2011, 12:51:40 AM »
I'd add the '60s "Password" to this list. Not for the main game, though -- I seem to recall hearing Allen Ludden saying "I'll take it" a good deal during the Lightning Round.

Brendan

Kevin Prather

Close Enough...
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2011, 01:04:08 AM »
I'd add the '60s "Password" to this list. Not for the main game, though -- I seem to recall hearing Allen Ludden saying "I'll take it" a good deal during the Lightning Round.
Hell, often in the Lightning Round, the player would get auto-credit if the giver accidentally said the word.

davidhammett

Close Enough...
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2011, 02:38:09 AM »
I've been watching Match Game '75 on GSN, and heard a response the other day that somewhat floored me.  It was the head-to-head match, and the question was ____ NIGHTS.  The contestant answered "1001," and Richard said "Arabian," but despite the fact that they always say it has to be an exact match, they called it a match and awarded the contestant the money.  (By the way, I also noticed on some recent episodes the use of a rule I don't remember... if you win with a celebrity in the head-to-head match, you're not allowed to choose them again the next time you play the head-to-head.  Anyone know how long that was around?)

Kevin Prather

Close Enough...
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2011, 03:45:31 AM »
(By the way, I also noticed on some recent episodes the use of a rule I don't remember... if you win with a celebrity in the head-to-head match, you're not allowed to choose them again the next time you play the head-to-head.  Anyone know how long that was around?)
This rule was around until they brought on the Star Wheel. Not sure when it started. Both changes were apparently to get someone other than Richard playing the head-to-head once in a while.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2011, 03:46:05 AM by Kevin Prather »

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
Close Enough...
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2011, 03:59:09 AM »
(By the way, I also noticed on some recent episodes the use of a rule I don't remember... if you win with a celebrity in the head-to-head match, you're not allowed to choose them again the next time you play the head-to-head.  Anyone know how long that was around?)
This rule was around until they brought on the Star Wheel.

Pretty sure this came up before, and pretty sure it lasted for only a brief period in '75.

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

Craig Karlberg

Close Enough...
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2011, 04:06:25 AM »
I always thought that whenever a player solved a Megaword puzzle on WoF, that player had to use that word in a sentence.  More often than not, Pat would sort of "give it to them" even though the word doesn't quite make sense in terms of how it was used in a sentence as long as the player used that word in a sentence.

whewfan

Close Enough...
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2011, 05:49:59 AM »
The head to head rule only lasted for one week. It was an early attempt to keep players from choosing Dawson all the time.

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
Close Enough...
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2011, 08:09:23 AM »
The head to head rule only lasted for one week. It was an early attempt to keep players from choosing Dawson all the time.
One week on the air is one taping day. One wonders if they implemented this rule on a Saturday, Richard made a stink, and the rule was rescinded on Sunday.

Mr. Armadillo

Close Enough...
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2011, 09:31:38 AM »
I always thought that whenever a player solved a Megaword puzzle on WoF, that player had to use that word in a sentence.  More often than not, Pat would sort of "give it to them" even though the word doesn't quite make sense in terms of how it was used in a sentence as long as the player used that word in a sentence.
Nobody ever said the sentence had to be coherent.

Marc Summers would often say 'good enough' on the Obstacle Course if someone, say, fell off the Monkey Bars one bar short.  The more obvious it became that the family was out of the running for the grand prize, the more lenient Marc was on obstacles that were causing trouble.

Neumms

Close Enough...
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2011, 04:49:41 PM »
Pyramid's early years. I remember them allowing "Things You Iron" for "Things You Press" (or vice versa). In later years, they'd put direct synonym in parentheses. Feud seems to be pretty lenient in branching answers into one category.

That's odd about Pyramid, because "press" includes things that "iron" doesn't: a button, the flesh.

On Family Feud, they have to be kind of lenient, because it affects how someone might answer down the line.

ten96lt

Close Enough...
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2011, 06:11:16 PM »
Nobody ever said the sentence had to be coherent.

Marc Summers would often say 'good enough' on the Obstacle Course if someone, say, fell off the Monkey Bars one bar short.  The more obvious it became that the family was out of the running for the grand prize, the more lenient Marc was on obstacles that were causing trouble.
It seemed sometimes during the obstacle course also if it was a close race to finish if the family hit an obstacle where the flag was delayed coming out or showed no sign of coming out (like Soda Jerk or The Blimp) when it should have (with the exception of "Pick It") Marc would just tell them to tag and keep moving since he didn't want the flag not coming out when it was supposed to to give an unfair disadvantage.