Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: The $500,000 Pyramid?  (Read 2924 times)

itiparanoid13

The $500,000 Pyramid?
« on: May 15, 2011, 09:25:58 PM »
Got a weird email today.  There's a guy who occasionally sends me master copies of logos to use for posts I write.  He sent me the Million Dollar Mind Game logo, which was cool.  But he also sent me this: a logo for The $500,000 Pyramid (click to see it).

Does anyone have any information on this?  I know CBS did a pilot for $1M, but I thought the 2nd pilot in 2010 was just for $25K and there was no mention of any form of tournament or increased prize anywhere.  I can't imagine this slipping through the cracks without at least one person finding out.  I'm asking around and looking stuff up, and I'm stumped. The only thing I know is that after CBS passed on the show again, there was very heavy word that GSN was picking it up, but that fell through.  Regardless that wouldn't have been for $500K, obviously.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2011, 09:26:22 PM by itiparanoid13 »

Jimmy Owen

The $500,000 Pyramid?
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2011, 10:34:43 PM »
The problem with the internet is that any 12-year old kid can make a logo that looks just as (if not more) professional as multi-national conglomerates.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
The $500,000 Pyramid?
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2011, 10:45:06 PM »
The problem with the internet is that any 12-year old kid can make a logo that looks just as (if not more) professional as multi-national conglomerates.
Praytell, why is that a problem?
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Matt Ottinger

The $500,000 Pyramid?
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2011, 10:54:50 PM »
Relevant to THIS situation, it's also very easy for a professional graphic artist to whip up a logo featuring whatever dollar amount he was asked to make, regardless of whether a format with that particular value ever actually went to pilot.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

Jeremy Nelson

The $500,000 Pyramid?
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2011, 11:01:52 PM »
Now that is a really cool modern take on the classic logo. I don't know if the show is being shopped around this year or not due to everyone wanting a share of the Oprah-less talk show pool, but if they do, I hope they use this logo.
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.

Jimmy Owen

The $500,000 Pyramid?
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2011, 10:07:02 AM »
Now that is a really cool modern take on the classic logo. I don't know if the show is being shopped around this year or not due to everyone wanting a share of the Oprah-less talk show pool, but if they do, I hope they use this logo.
That would be cool.  Maybe one of the daytime talkers could make it part of their show a la Jimmy Fallon and "Password."  A couple minutes of conversation with Dr Phil's daughter/Katie Couric/Wendy Williams/etc. and her guests, and then, all of a sudden, "Okay, is everybody ready to play Pyramid?"
« Last Edit: May 16, 2011, 10:12:37 AM by Jimmy Owen »
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

itiparanoid13

The $500,000 Pyramid?
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2011, 10:20:21 AM »
I got word from a source that they tested some dollar amounts for the 2010 pilot, and this looks like one of the logos from it.  We just never heard about it.

Neumms

The $500,000 Pyramid?
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2011, 04:35:22 PM »
I got word from a source that they tested some dollar amounts for the 2010 pilot, and this looks like one of the logos from it.  We just never heard about it.

They tested dollar amounts? Like, "how likely are you to watch a program titled The $375,200 Pyramid? 5 means extremely likely, 1 means extremely unlikely"? Then, "how likely are you to watch a program titled The $29,999 Pyramid? Again, 5 means extremely likely, 1 means extremely unlikely." Perhaps even "which do you prefer, dollar amounts ascending in each box, or all boxes on one level with the same dollar amount, ascending only by row?"

clemon79

The $500,000 Pyramid?
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2011, 05:12:27 PM »
They tested dollar amounts? Like, "how likely are you to watch a program titled The $375,200 Pyramid? 5 means extremely likely, 1 means extremely unlikely"? Then, "how likely are you to watch a program titled The $29,999 Pyramid? Again, 5 means extremely likely, 1 means extremely unlikely." Perhaps even "which do you prefer, dollar amounts ascending in each box, or all boxes on one level with the same dollar amount, ascending only by row?"
You're taking it to pedantic extremes, but yeah, I'm guessing it's pretty likely they did exactly this. Think of the users we have around here who are more interested in seeing wads 'o' cash being given away than they are in seeing a compelling game and it makes a whole lot more sense why they might ask focus groups questions along those lines to try to find the sweet spot of how little money they can give away vs. how viewership is affected.

Tony Peters

• Here is your first subject. GO!
The $500,000 Pyramid?
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2011, 08:28:24 PM »
Think of the users we have around here who are more interested in seeing wads 'o' cash being given away than they are in seeing a compelling game and it makes a whole lot more sense why they might ask focus groups questions along those lines to try to find the sweet spot of how little money they can give away vs. how viewership is affected.
Why not a compelling game that potentially gives away wads 'o' cash? ;)
Sometimes I find myself missing the days when cats ruled the internet...

clemon79

The $500,000 Pyramid?
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2011, 08:54:08 PM »
Why not a compelling game that potentially gives away wads 'o' cash? ;)
Why not, indeed.