Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Wheel and Jeopardy!  (Read 1770 times)

Jeremy Nelson

Wheel and Jeopardy!
« on: May 28, 2011, 12:43:44 AM »
Just late night thinking, so if it's silly, just say so.

Not saying that it would ever happen again, but considering that daytime television is slowly changing programming-wise, could Wheel and Jeopardy ever work as daytime network television shows again? Other than potential cannibalization, I don't see why not- although I'm sure that could  be a big problem somewhere along the line.

Considering that Pat, Vanna, and Alex won't be around forever, it could also act as a "farm system" of sorts to prepare the new host(s) for the syndie version, rather totally entrusting them with the keys to the kingdom from day one.

Thoughts?
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Wheel and Jeopardy!
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2011, 03:00:02 AM »
Not saying that it would ever happen again, but considering that daytime television is slowly changing programming-wise, could Wheel and Jeopardy ever work as daytime network television shows again?
Seems like it's slowly changing even FURTHER away from game-shows, not towards, so I don't know where you get this notion.

Other than potential cannibalization, I don't see why not-
Budgetarily, I think the ship has sailed.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Jimmy Owen

Wheel and Jeopardy!
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2011, 07:16:12 AM »
Not gonna happen. Network daytime service will soon be limited to news or info shows.  As far as new hosts on the syndies, they'll go with established names.  My predictions: Jeff Probst will take over J! and Ryan Seacrest and choose any former female AI contestant to handle the Wheel.  That won't be for a while, though. Pat will probably stick around just long enough to eclipse Bob Barker's one-show longevity record.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2011, 07:50:49 AM by Jimmy Owen »
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

NickS

Wheel and Jeopardy!
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2011, 12:20:35 PM »
Other than potential cannibalization, I don't see why not-
Budgetarily, I think the ship has sailed.

I don't necessarily think that's correct; hell, news budgets are shrinking just as much.

Do I think that we're going to go back to '78 in the amount of game shows on TV today?  No.  Do I hold out hope that there might be another game or two on in the next few years?  Yes.  If LMaD's getting renewed with around the same ratings that it had vs. its predecessor (and with a smaller budget), it's not out of the realm if one of ABC's new talkers takes a steaming dump.

/Yes, I'm looking at you, "The Chew."

jukeboxhero

Wheel and Jeopardy!
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2011, 04:29:38 PM »
I actually had the same thing cross my mind a few weeks ago when I read about the new ratings calculations. If Wheel were syndicated in the morning, and it's regular slot,  wouldn't this be considered as a double run, like Feud? Doing this, I would imagine they would set themselves far apart from the rest of the pack.
I also thought about the possibility of finding new hosts this way and getting the public "comfortable" with them, instead of just dropping in a new host in the coming years.

Jeremy Nelson

Wheel and Jeopardy!
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2011, 07:52:34 PM »
Not saying that it would ever happen again, but considering that daytime television is slowly changing programming-wise, could Wheel and Jeopardy ever work as daytime network television shows again?
Seems like it's slowly changing even FURTHER away from game-shows, not towards, so I don't know where you get this notion.

I mean as far as networks getting rid of soaps- high cost for small gain programming, and inserting low cost for comparatively decent gains programming. That's how LMAD got its shot, and how these new talk shows are going to get theirs. I'm not saying that game shows are the number one choice for networks, but they look a lot better financially than soaps do right now.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2011, 07:52:56 PM by Jeremy Nelson »
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.