Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Will court break Wipeout's Big Balls?  (Read 2246 times)

DrBear

Will court break Wipeout's Big Balls?
« on: May 31, 2011, 04:27:27 PM »
On the grounds that there has never been a TV show that copied the format of another TV show, Tokyo Broadcasting is suing ABCover "Wipeout" and its similarities to a whole bunch of Japanese game shows.

Sorry, I couldn't resist the headline. You know MXC would have used it.
This isn't a plug, but you can ask me about my book.

DoItRockapella

« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2011, 04:42:11 PM »
Old news. As the linked article states, this lawsuit was filed years ago.

Now, is Wipeout an obvious clone of every Japanese game show with an obstacle course? Yes - but this article also states that TBS considers Takeshi's Castle and MXC two seperate shows. Right...

While we're on the topic, weren't the American WWTBAM producers supposed to pay millions to Celedor?

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2011, 05:09:27 PM »
"Treasure Isle" was first.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

weaklink75

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2011, 05:33:42 PM »
On the grounds that there has never been a TV show that copied the format of another TV show, Tokyo Broadcasting is suing ABCover "Wipeout" and its similarities to a whole bunch of Japanese game shows.

Sorry, I couldn't resist the headline. You know MXC would have used it.

Indeed....

(Though I wonder what took them so long to sue- 3 years is a long time)

Mr. Armadillo

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2011, 08:40:33 AM »
They actually did sue three years ago.  It's taken the Reporter this long to notice.

Yes - but this article also states that TBS considers Takeshi's Castle and MXC two seperate shows. Right...
Even worse...Sasuke and Ninja Warrior. The latter is more or less a straight dub of the former, no?  Been awhile since I saw NW.

NickS

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2011, 12:22:11 PM »
They actually did sue three years ago.  It's taken the Reporter this long to notice.

Yes - but this article also states that TBS considers Takeshi's Castle and MXC two seperate shows. Right...
Even worse...Sasuke and Ninja Warrior. The latter is more or less a straight dub of the former, no?  Been awhile since I saw NW.

Correct.  There's also Kunoichi for Women of Ninja Warrior, and then Kinniku Banzuke is Unbeatable Banzuke here.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2011, 12:32:28 PM »
Okay, first off, my comments are being made not having RTFA.

But there seems to be a difference here. First off, did TBS grant (and by "grant" I mean "sell") approval to MXC or Ninja Warrior? 'Cuz if they did I can see them turning a blind eye.

It also seems to me that those two shows are more "derivative works" of their Japanese counterparts than anything, whereas Wipeout is theft-of-concept, if indeed the concept of "making snarky-and-only-marginally-funny comments while people run an impossible obstacle course" is copyrightable.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

NickS

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2011, 01:25:02 PM »
But there seems to be a difference here. First off, did TBS grant (and by "grant" I mean "sell") approval to MXC or Ninja Warrior? 'Cuz if they did I can see them turning a blind eye.

As far as I know, yes to both.  Remember reading somewhere there might have been an issue with MXC but Ninja Warrior's a yes for sure.

/Guy likes
//I would RFTA, if only for the entertainment law debate; much better than a Yahoo! comments Rogue's Gallery