Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Lingo tonight  (Read 14625 times)

Kevin Prather

Lingo tonight
« Reply #45 on: June 10, 2011, 02:46:18 AM »
Aren't those becoming more and more common?
As honest-to-Gawd game-show hosts become rarer and rarer? Yeah, probably.
Touche.

MTCesquire

Lingo tonight
« Reply #46 on: June 10, 2011, 04:35:27 AM »
I've noticed the past couple of nights that I can tolerate the less-than-stellar clues more when there are good contestants playing with them.

Which I guess was the point I was trying to make.  The first episode I saw of the new season was on Wednesday night with the two female teams competing.  Both teams actually played well and made decent guesses at the board trying to solve the word.  I'm more than willing to accept "lewd" innuendo if it means having contestants that at least look like they know how to play the game since that was the half the reason I stopped watching Chuck's Lingo after season four (the other half being that airhead, talk-just-for-the-sake-of-talking Shandi.  But that's another story...and no, I didn't mind her flat chest at all for those wondering).  However, the other side of the argument seems to be if it ain't broke don't fix it, and I agree with that.  It's not like the new set, new rules, and new grand prize really add anything to the show, but this might be one rare case where a format overhaul doesn't exactly ruin the show, either.

Johnissoevil

Lingo tonight
« Reply #47 on: June 11, 2011, 02:22:03 AM »
I do like the updates to the show, but Engvall looks and acts like he drinks about a case and smokes about 5 joints before taping.  Is it too late to bring Chuck back?
« Last Edit: June 11, 2011, 02:30:07 AM by Johnissoevil »
In loving memory of my father, Curtis Fenner 4/29/44-8/13/15

Jimmy Owen

Lingo tonight
« Reply #48 on: June 11, 2011, 07:03:03 AM »
I do like the updates to the show, but Engvall looks and acts like he drinks about a case and smokes about 5 joints before taping.  Is it too late to bring Chuck back?
I think that's the look they're going for.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Lingo tonight
« Reply #49 on: June 11, 2011, 12:48:43 PM »
Then they should have gotten Ron White. Engvall was supposed to be the Halfway-Cerebral Redneck.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Kevin Prather

Lingo tonight
« Reply #50 on: June 11, 2011, 02:02:53 PM »
Then they should have gotten Ron White. Engvall was supposed to be the Halfway-Cerebral Redneck.
Hell, he's supposed to be the damn intellectual in the group.

Johnissoevil

Lingo tonight
« Reply #51 on: June 11, 2011, 11:10:02 PM »

Then perhaps I should apply for a job with GSN.  Anyone of us could fake that so easily!
In loving memory of my father, Curtis Fenner 4/29/44-8/13/15

JMFabiano

Lingo tonight
« Reply #52 on: June 12, 2011, 02:57:30 AM »
The difference between the Match Game/Scrabble examples and this is, back then (I'm in my 30s and already doing "back in my day" spiels!) there was still some subtlety involved.  Most of that is now extinct today, and everyone goes right for the throat as far as shock TV goes.  Look at MG7x vs. MG98, for goodness' sake!
I'm a pacifist, and even I would like to see a little more action.

Jeremy Nelson

Lingo tonight
« Reply #53 on: June 13, 2011, 01:54:07 AM »
I JUST saw an episode of the new Lingo, thanks to them uploading the first couple to the GSN website, and I really don't know what to say to these new changes. Because Lingo was popular even in reruns when they cancelled it, most of what is NOT the old Lingo feels like change for the sake of change.

The bonus round pays out way too much for getting four words right, let alone 5. I remember my strategy for the previous bonus round was to build up a stock of words in my head that would minimize overlapping letters, and not start to make guesses based on the clues from the board until clue 3 or 4. I think with this new bonus round, it would work even better.

The clues seem to deter the contestants more than help them. They are going to be so focused on that clue that they don't pay attention to the word itself- if it were me, I'd ignore the clue altogether unless I got down to my last guess. Contestants on the last version did quite well without the clues, and I see no reason why the same thing couldn't be said for this version.

All in all, I'm torn. It's still Lingo at its core, but it's mangled in some places nonetheless. I hope this gets another season-not just to work out the kinks, but also so GSN doesn't write off Lingo as another one off show, thus guaranteeing that we won't see it re-revived anytime soon.

BTW, Apple Autocorrect is pretentious, intrusive and just overall sucks. I would much rather see them implement the suggestion bar from the Windows Phone 7.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2011, 01:54:31 AM by Jeremy Nelson »
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
Lingo tonight
« Reply #54 on: June 13, 2011, 02:13:36 AM »
The bonus round pays out way too much for getting four words right, let alone 5.
For a network that had $5,000 as the bonus round award or top prize for just about every show in the mid 2000s, to the point of laughable tedium, I was surprised that the bonus round money is being waved about so freely.

1 vs. 100 was mangled by taking away the decent writing and swapping it for lame straight-forward question with pop culture joke appended. Lingo went from a decent game of strategy and wordsmithing, and it became a comedy showcase. Catch 21 had a terrific and easy format, and they twisted it into what we have now. Way to go, Group.
Travis L. Eberle

catnap1972

Lingo tonight
« Reply #55 on: June 14, 2011, 08:48:11 PM »
Quick note for anyone that didn't see tonight's episode:

[color="#FFFFFF"]I hope they're not trying to create suspense and running down the team's clock at the same time.  Almost five seconds were wasted in the reveal of the fourth word in bonus Lingo (might've been enough time for a second guess at the $100,000 word)[/color]
« Last Edit: June 14, 2011, 08:56:21 PM by catnap1972 »

BillCullen1

Lingo tonight
« Reply #56 on: June 15, 2011, 10:47:03 PM »
It's in its second week and GSN is apparently already showing reruns. This I don't understand. I also think $100K is too much - I agree they should've done this for 1 vs. 100. I also thought there was no way anyone would get five words in 90 seconds - but I've been proven wrong. The win was exciting, though. Plus Bill Engvall seems pretty smooth as a host. He hasn't hosted anything else, has he?

bandit_bobby

Lingo tonight
« Reply #57 on: June 16, 2011, 01:49:46 PM »
IMO, those promo people for the show need to be really careful not to spoil too much.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Lingo tonight
« Reply #58 on: June 16, 2011, 03:31:05 PM »
IMO, those promo people for the show need to be really careful not to spoil too much.
Are you going to watch tonight?
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
Lingo tonight
« Reply #59 on: June 16, 2011, 03:51:27 PM »
Are you going to watch tonight?
It has a $100,000 top prize. Does a bear evacuate his bowels in the forest?
Travis L. Eberle