Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Cedric the Game Show Host  (Read 8128 times)

tvrandywest

Cedric the Game Show Host
« on: June 09, 2011, 01:23:41 PM »
Merv Griffin's company is rushing a new primetime game show into production for NBC. Cedric the Entertainer will host "What's it Worth".

Randy
tvrandywest.com
The story behind the voice you know and love... the voice of a generation of game shows: Johnny Olson!

Celebrate the centennial of the America's favorite announcer with "Johnny Olson: A Voice in Time."

Preview the book free: click "Johnny O Tribute" http://www.tvrandywest.com

Steve Gavazzi

« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2011, 01:34:27 PM »
From the title alone, it sounds more like a parody than a new show.

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2011, 01:34:46 PM »
Reminds me of Cullen TPIR.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2011, 01:42:49 PM »
From the title alone, it sounds more like a parody than a new show.

Coming soon, Mad Magazine presents "Retch Game '76" and "Wheel of CLODS."

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

Neumms

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2011, 05:50:03 PM »
I've often thought something closer to the old Price Is Right could work again. Then again, not sure putting it on NBC is a fair test.

Isn't executive producer Lara Spencer Pat O'Brien's blonde one-time co-host on "The Insider"? And when will Pat wind up on GSN, anyway?
« Last Edit: June 10, 2011, 05:50:43 PM by Neumms »

TimK2003

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2011, 04:42:50 PM »
FWIW (no pun intended), here is some more information on Cedric's new show, now titled "It's Worth What??" or pronounced as "It's Worth WHAAAAAaaaat???"

[media]http://www.nbc.com/its-worth-what/video/its-worth-what-extended-trailer/1340018[/media]

And here is an NPR article on the show as well (Audio avail after 7PM ET on the 12th):  NPR Link.

And if you care to watch The Talk, or see it on cbs.com., Cedric hosts a mini game with the Talk-ers on the Tuesday 7/12 show.

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2011, 05:52:39 PM »
This might be kinda fun.  Production values look good.  I know it's his trademark, but it's impolite to wear a hat indoors.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

Jeremy Nelson

« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2011, 08:48:43 PM »
I've often thought something closer to the old Price Is Right could work again.

I would love to see that. CBS probably wouldn't go retro on us, but I'd like to see something along the lines of Antiques Roadshow meets The Price Was Right meets Price is Right Classic. Use the Cullen format with moderately priced old stuff, and the winner keeps the cash value of the prizes they've "captured".
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.

Neumms

« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2011, 02:32:30 PM »
I'd like to see something along the lines of Antiques Roadshow meets The Price Was Right meets Price is Right Classic.

Reading the NPR.com piece, that's exactly what "It's Worth What?" is. If we're going down the Antiques Roadshow road, I'd be tempted to make it more like Let's Make a Deal. "Do you want $1000 or thus dusty old canvas? Turns out, that dusty old canvas is a $400,000 work of art from revolutionary France!" Or, "one of these paintings is a Jackson Pollack, the other was done by Chuck Woolery's 6-year-old."

Mr. Armadillo

« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2011, 08:50:19 AM »
I know it's his trademark, but it's impolite to wear a hat indoors.
I think this rule is starting to fall into disuse, just because a lot of people don't know it anymore.  I wear a fedora indoors fairly often, and I almost never get called out on it.

alfonzos

« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2011, 05:49:06 PM »
I haven't seen the show yet, but if anyone is enamored of the game that you want to make a do-it-yourself version one could use Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous by Pressman Toys.
A Cliff Saber Production
email address: alfonzos@aol.com
Boardgame Geek user name: alfonzos

Joe Mello

• has hit the time release button
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2011, 12:15:52 AM »
Watched the show; it's pretty okay.  It's not particularly original, but it's a refreshing change of pace from standard prime time fare, and a fairly smart way to make self-contained episodes.  My only concern would that the novelty could wear out rather fast.
This signature is currently under construction.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2011, 12:27:33 AM »
I was nearly able to link each of the rounds with a pricing game without all that much effort. Round two was To Tell The Truth, and round seven was about matching which celebrity owned which item. I'd dig it if the show moved at double speed and the rounds weren't equivalent to coin tossing.
If you didn’t create it, it isn’t your content.

tpirfan28

« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2011, 07:33:26 AM »
and round seven was about matching which celebrity owned which item.
Who's Who, from WML?, down to handing the celebrities a sign.

I thought the dress-up round was "make an outfit that was more than the other", not "make the most expensive outfit".

Pacing was a touch slow, but was just the same as Price is Right without the qualification rounds.
When you're at the grocery game and you hear the beep, think of all the fun you could have at "Crazy Rachel's Checkout Counter!"

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2011, 10:40:40 AM »
I thought the dress-up round was "make an outfit that was more than the other", not "make the most expensive outfit".
I had it down as Give or Keep originally, but when it was "pick the most expensive accessory," it became Trader Cedric.

So, yay. We're now playing games that were retired thirty years ago.
If you didn’t create it, it isn’t your content.