Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Early 60s (Cullen) "Price Is Right" episodes ...  (Read 5625 times)

geno57

Early 60s (Cullen) "Price Is Right" episodes ...
« on: June 12, 2011, 02:04:04 AM »
An old friend -- a former TV director -- recently died.  Included within his collection of videotapes is a box that is hand-labeled The Price is Right - 12/22/61 - 1/1/62, 1/8/62.

Not sure if the tapes contain three episodes, or more. In other words, I suppose there might there be several shows that aired between Friday 12/22 and Monday 1/1, plus the ep dated 1/8.

It would be rather expensive to have them dubbed over to a digital format ... but I'm thinking it can be done, if I can get ahold of the tapes ... and I think I might be able to do so.  Here's what I need to find out, though:

Does anybody know whether shows with these dates are already on the trading circuit?  Or would they be "fresh meat" to a collector?

GrandGame1440

« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2011, 05:27:41 AM »
Sounds like an amazing find.  I have about seventy episodes from GSN of Cullen's version (complete cycle?) and none of those dates match the dates on the shows.  I would love to be able to trade for them, or at least see them if/when you convert them.

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2011, 07:22:54 AM »
An old friend -- a former TV director -- recently died.  Included within his collection of videotapes is a box that is hand-labeled The Price is Right - 12/22/61 - 1/1/62, 1/8/62.

Not sure if the tapes contain three episodes, or more. In other words, I suppose there might there be several shows that aired between Friday 12/22 and Monday 1/1, plus the ep dated 1/8.

It would be rather expensive to have them dubbed over to a digital format ... but I'm thinking it can be done, if I can get ahold of the tapes ... and I think I might be able to do so.  Here's what I need to find out, though:

Does anybody know whether shows with these dates are already on the trading circuit?  Or would they be "fresh meat" to a collector?
If they're 2 inch quad tapes, one reel could handle a half-hour.  They might just be clips. I'd contact Kevin Segura.  If they're color tapes, that would be worth the restoration, even if they're in "the circuit."
« Last Edit: June 12, 2011, 07:23:46 AM by Jimmy Owen »
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

Robair

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2011, 08:34:54 AM »
Since NBC ran "Price" on Mondays in prime time in the 1961-1962 season, the most interesting item would be the 12/22 episode, which is obviously a daytime episode. The 1/1 and 1/8/62 episodes, if they're nighttime shows, have most likely both been aired by GSN. But if they're all daytime, then go for it.
--Robair

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2011, 09:55:33 AM »
Certainly a potentially fascinating find.  I have lots of thoughts and a few questions.  In no particular order:

Best as I can tell, that period has been completely passed over by GSN, so even if they're nighttime episodes, they likely are ones that haven't aired (maybe cigarette issues?).  If they're daytime episodes, especially if there's more than a week's worth of them, then that's a solid find.  And yeah, if they happen to be in color, then in our little world, the find is nothing short of historic.

Before anybody asks, there WAS a daytime TPIR on 1/1/62.  Not one on Christmas, though.  If the handwritten label is literally accurate, there would be seven shows in the box.

So, how big is the box? Have you looked inside?  Seven 2" quad tapes would be a pretty big, heavy box.  The dream would be that these really were recorded on color tape, but have been transferred at least once to something more practical.  If by chance they made their way to U-Matic tapes, then your cost for transferring just went down to zero.  Uncle Matt can take care of everything.  

If they're filmed kinescopes, like other preserved TPIR shows of the day, the cost for transferring them wouldn't be prohibitive, especially if several of us went in on it together with you.  If they really are 2" tapes, then you're talking about hundreds of dollars for each transfer, and then you have to wonder whether it's worth doing more than one.  It would totally be worth doing one, though!

Keep us posted, and certainly contact me directly if you want to talk about any of this privately.  I would love to offer my support in making this happen.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

geno57

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2011, 01:34:18 PM »
I haven't personally seen the tapes yet ... hoping to get ahold of them in the next couple of weeks.  Will keep y'all posted!

Adam Nedeff

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2011, 02:57:51 PM »
Does anybody know whether shows with these dates are already on the trading circuit?
WHO CARES?! THEY'RE FROM THE ORIGINAL BROADCASTS!

Excited about this find. Hope everything works out. If you need anything, you're clearly among friends.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2011, 03:16:39 PM »
Does anybody know whether shows with these dates are already on the trading circuit?
WHO CARES?!
Uh, Geno does, or else he wouldn't have asked, I'd wager.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

parliboy

• Which of my enemies told you I was paranoid?
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2011, 05:12:19 PM »
Point to a Paypal account if you need to pass around the hat. I'd kick in.
"You're never ready, just less unprepared."

geno57

« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2011, 03:35:50 AM »
Might not need to take up a collection yet.  I've got friends with machinery.  This might work out for us all.  Will let you know, as I find out more.  Thanks for all the info.

Bill Neuweiler

« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2011, 08:35:39 AM »
Point to a Paypal account if you need to pass around the hat. I'd kick in.

I'll second that.
<p>I share a birthday with Jack Barry.

geno57

« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2011, 01:54:03 PM »
Okay, here's the deal!  First ... No passing-the-hat necessary.

These are three NBC prime time shows -- from the last week of '61, and the first two Mondays of '62.  For whatever reason, the one-inch monochrome tapes in the box were dubbed from decent-quality kinescopes.

I now have all three on DVD.  They contain all of the original network commercials, including some presented by Bill Cullen himself.  And they may not have aired on GSN, at least not in their original form, because they were sponsored by Newport Filter Cigarettes.

Now ... since I'm pretty slow ... How do I convert these to a format that will allow me to post them to my YouTube account?  The videos I have there already, were done for me by somebody else ... who is now deceased.  Any help will be appreciated.  If all goes well, I can have them posted there by the end of this week.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2011, 01:56:15 PM by geno57 »

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2011, 02:07:06 PM »
Now ... since I'm pretty slow ... How do I convert these to a format that will allow me to post them to my YouTube account?
http://www.labnol.org/software/upload-dvd-to-youtube/18227/

See if any of that pushes you in the right direction.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

vtown7

« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2011, 02:33:06 PM »
I have been using Fair Use Wizard for quite awhile and it's very simple to use if the above doesn't work for any reason!  Look forward to seeing them.  Thanks!

R.

Tim L

« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2011, 03:24:01 PM »
Quick question:Would the "last week" of 1961 episode be Christmas themed , assuming the date is 12/22/61?,,I have a particular fondness for holiday theme shows, not just game shows, but any genre..