Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: This Makes No Sense To Me...  (Read 7812 times)

golden-road

This Makes No Sense To Me...
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2011, 10:08:07 PM »
If you haven't seen the Robb Weller pilot for the Split Second revival, be grateful... that bonus game, also based on luck, had NONE of the excitement of the Kennedy or later Hall version.
How was the bonus played on the pilot?

Three monitors were presented. A trip graphic was shuffled amongst the three, and the champ had to pick the right number.

bandit_bobby

« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2011, 10:34:34 PM »
The car game that was played on the '80s version of "Crosswits" whenever the Crossfire Round was won.

BillCullen1

« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2011, 10:39:10 PM »
A couple more:

Rayburn's Break the Bank - what a fiasco!!
Povich's 21 - six true or false questions - they didn't have anything better?

Jeremy Nelson

« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2011, 12:42:34 AM »
As for "Split Second" and "Big Showdown", I forgive those two as their bonus rounds were more of a light reward for the hard work and strategizing the contestant just went through. Both were mentally taxing, but brilliant shows.
I get your argument- I'm not opposed to what you're selling here, but in the case of Split Second, I might have rather preferred to see the game end after the Countdown Round, with the winner getting some sort of cash bonus and returning the next day; I've been thinking of a logical bonus round for a while for Split Second, and the only thing I could think of that fit the show was the Countdown Round. Maybe making the round a timed solo game would work, but it's fine the way it is.
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.

BrandonFG

« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2011, 12:48:09 AM »
As for "Split Second" and "Big Showdown", I forgive those two as their bonus rounds were more of a light reward for the hard work and strategizing the contestant just went through. Both were mentally taxing, but brilliant shows.
I get your argument- I'm not opposed to what you're selling here, but in the case of Split Second, I might have rather preferred to see the game end after the Countdown Round, with the winner getting some sort of cash bonus and returning the next day; I've been thinking of a logical bonus round for a while for Split Second, and the only thing I could think of that fit the show was the Countdown Round. Maybe making the round a timed solo game would work, but it's fine the way it is.
A few years ago, I came up with something similar, a timed (:30 or :45) solo Countdown Round, with 10 points...maybe less one point for each day you come back.
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

pyrfan

« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2011, 01:55:40 AM »
I'd add two games to this list that both later added "Celebrity" to their titles: "Hot Potato" and "Double Talk."

Brendan

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2011, 02:41:53 AM »
Povich's 21 - six true or false questions - they didn't have anything better?

Six questions, twenty-one possible points, and weren't there true-false questions in the main game as well?
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2011, 03:22:53 AM »
I'd add two games to this list that both later added "Celebrity" to their titles: "Hot Potato" and "Double Talk."

Brendan

You'd also add something that doesn't fit the criteria of what the OP is asking for.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

Craig Karlberg

« Reply #23 on: June 16, 2011, 04:25:59 AM »
I too will go with the Big Money Game from $otC as well as the Big Money Winners Board,  All you're really doing is matching prizes Concentration-style.  There was one good upside to all of that.  Once you cleared the board, you have one more chance to risk everything you won on the board for a shot at a $50K grand prize jackpot.  Winning the last game gets your prizes back + the cash jackpot.  Losing that game meant forefieting your bonus prizes(but NOT your Instant Bargains, Fame Game & Instan Cash prizes along the way).

Also, the NBC version of HS had a bonus round that was strictly luck-based at one point.  It's where each celebrity had an envelope with the description of a prize on it.  I'd rather have Peter Marshall ask one more question for the chance to win that prize instead of haphazardly finding the prize instantly like that.

CeleTheRef

« Reply #24 on: June 16, 2011, 08:28:36 AM »
the bonus round for Italy's Tic Tac Dought was...   Pyramid's Winners Circle

and when Mike Bongiorno revived the format the bonus became... the Golden Medley

whewfan

« Reply #25 on: June 16, 2011, 08:46:10 AM »
Double Talk's bonus game could've been closer to the main game if the clue giver had to give the "double talk" for a phrase, instead of description... for example "no relinquishing of the boat" could be double talk for "don't give up the ship". The phrase to be guessed could still have the first letters of each word.
On the show, the same phrase could have as a clue "if you're a sailor in a battle you..."

DrBear

« Reply #26 on: June 16, 2011, 09:56:39 AM »
Back in the ATGS days, I thought of a bonus round for Split Second:

Winner gets three three-part questions. $500 for each correct answer; get all nine and you get $10,000.
This isn't a plug, but you can ask me about my book.

TheInquisitiveOne

« Reply #27 on: June 16, 2011, 12:51:03 PM »
By no means did this bonus round cut costs. If anything, it added more. If you won all Winner's Big Money Games, you'd take $95,000 right off the bat. Then you add a car, all 7 the "prizes of the day." THEN you have instant bargains, instant cash and fame games to add in there.

I don't disagree one bit with anything you said. It did add more, but my theory always was that NBC wanted to make the game harder while adding the prospect of a large cash prize. Here are my reasons:

• In order to play game eight for a chance at $50,000, you had to win the car in game 7, otherwise you retire.
  • The game itself: while you had a chance to miss twice before an automatic game over, the time was so tight that passing or missing one, outside of a miracle, was failure.

I just thought there were more hurdles to jump for the big money. The Winner's Board era took less effort, despite the option to put the Board on the line for $50,000 in optional game 11. The Shopping Round was simply dependent on how much money the champion accumulated in the course of a day.

I completely understand the need to make the game harder in order to make the contestant earn his or her keep; I laud it. I just thought the WBMG was a good concept trapped in the wrong game.

The Inquisitive One
This is the Way.

pyrfan

« Reply #28 on: June 17, 2011, 02:06:17 AM »

Brendan

You'd also add something that doesn't fit the criteria of what the OP is asking for.

HOT POTATO FRONT GAME: Name an item on a list in a given category or challenge one of your opponents to do so.
HOT POTATO BONUS GAME: Here's a question and two possible answers. Which of them is the correct answer?

DOUBLE TALK FRONT GAME: Correctly identify a phrase or title that is "double-talked."
DOUBLE TALK BONUS GAME: Play the front game of "Pyramid," only instead of single words, you'll describe multi-word titles and phrases.

Neither one of those bonus games is directly related to the front game. Isn't that what the OP asked about?

Brendan

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #29 on: June 17, 2011, 02:36:03 AM »
Neither one of those bonus games is directly related to the front game. Isn't that what the OP asked about?
Sure sounds like it to me.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe