Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Jeopardy! wagering and gender...  (Read 3886 times)

Bill Neuweiler

Jeopardy! wagering and gender...
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2011, 03:47:55 PM »
I was watching the other night and while I can't remember the exact circumstances, the wagering on the DD and in the Final left me scratching my head.  I got to thinking that maybe some contestants are influenced by the fact that they are wagering dollars and not points. From the sofa its easy to say "she shoulda bet six grand", but in reality I've never bet six grand on anything.  And I'm not trying to make an excuse for a contestant's poor wagering, that was just something that popped into my head.
<p>I share a birthday with Jack Barry.

Kevin Prather

« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2011, 03:51:58 PM »
I was watching the other night and while I can't remember the exact circumstances, the wagering on the DD and in the Final left me scratching my head.  I got to thinking that maybe some contestants are influenced by the fact that they are wagering dollars and not points. From the sofa its easy to say "she shoulda bet six grand", but in reality I've never bet six grand on anything.  And I'm not trying to make an excuse for a contestant's poor wagering, that was just something that popped into my head.
IIRC, this is exactly why they made the change to only pay 1st place back in '84. $6,000 or no, You Play To Win The Game.

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2011, 04:24:03 PM »
The post two above this one reminded me of one particular game from a few seasons ago where the champ was done in by her own wagering faults. Don Howard and I were quite critical of the wagering especially considering entering Final she had exactly half of the leader's total.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2011, 10:13:49 PM »
I got to thinking that maybe some contestants are influenced by the fact that they are wagering dollars and not points.
They shouldn't be. Winner Gets Paid has been the norm for only 27 years now. That's plenty of time to get a feel for what should be done.
Travis L. Eberle

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2011, 06:57:43 AM »
--Mark
Phil 4:13