Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: board jumping on fleming jeopardy  (Read 3828 times)

toetyper

board jumping on fleming jeopardy
« on: June 17, 2011, 11:00:00 AM »
on fleming j!  did players jump around the board as much as they do today

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2011, 11:14:04 AM »
Since they hardly ever do on TJ, the answer is "more."
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

tvrandywest

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2011, 01:48:05 PM »
The best part about board jumping on Fleming's J! was watching the stagehands scurrying behind the board to pull the correct art cards. Almost as good as watching the stagehands climb behind the Pyramid board to flip the trylons    ;-)

Damn technology!

Randy
tvrandywest.com
The story behind the voice you know and love... the voice of a generation of game shows: Johnny Olson!

Celebrate the centennial of the America's favorite announcer with "Johnny Olson: A Voice in Time."

Preview the book free: click "Johnny O Tribute" http://www.tvrandywest.com

William_S.

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2011, 05:03:54 PM »
Hmm wait a minute! I thought they didn't or rather they couldn't since they had to go top to bottom in Flemming's version. I remember a clip where a contestant tried to jump down to a Higher value question but was told not to and just stuck to the next highest value in succession.

DoorNumberFour

• ChristianCarrion.com
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2011, 09:34:09 PM »
Hmm wait a minute! I thought they didn't or rather they couldn't since they had to go top to bottom in Flemming's version. I remember a clip where a contestant tried to jump down to a Higher value question but was told not to and just stuck to the next highest value in succession.
I don't know where you would have seen that...as far as I know, that hasn't been the case in any version of Jeopardy.
Digital Media Producer, National Archives of Game Show History
"Tell Us About Yourself: Conversations with Game Show Contestants" available on all streaming services
christian@christiancarrion.com

BrandonFG

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2011, 09:41:18 PM »
I don't know where you would have seen that...as far as I know, that hasn't been the case in any version of Jeopardy.
I believe it usually only happens if the category contains a continuing series of clues, instead of just five clues of the same variety. Otherwise, I've never heard of board-jumping being forbidden either.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2011, 09:41:37 PM by fostergray82 »
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2011, 10:59:46 PM »
I believe it usually only happens if the category contains a continuing series of clues, instead of just five clues of the same variety. Otherwise, I've never heard of board-jumping being forbidden either.
I think they used to have to do it when they had a video category 'cuz they had to run the clips sequentially.

But I have never heard of it being necessary on the Fleming show, and so, in the words of my esteemed colleague Mr. Eberle: Proof or Not Real.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

MikeK

• Martha!
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2011, 11:29:32 PM »
I think they used to have to do it when they had a video category 'cuz they had to run the clips sequentially.
There has been a category called "Take In Order".  The lowest 4 values were clues to the final answer.  j-archive's search results for "Take in Order".

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2011, 11:34:23 PM »
Proof and therefore real:  There was a video category in my game, and we were told during the break that for that category, and that category only, the clues had to be taken in order.  We could, of course, jump away from the category and later back to it, but still in sequence.

But no, I don't remember such a rule in the Fleming game  Such a rule would make a bit of sense, since the cards were being pulled manually.  Of course, I also don't remember an out-of-order pick on he Fleming show either.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

Robair

« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2011, 09:18:20 AM »
Not so much under Fleming, probably because the players needed that rhythm and comfort in sticking to one subject at a time. Since back then the players could ring in when the answer was revealed, there was precious little time to think.
--Robair

Bill Neuweiler

« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2011, 03:26:14 PM »
Proof and therefore real:  There was a video category in my game, and we were told during the break that for that category, and that category only, the clues had to be taken in order.  We could, of course, jump away from the category and later back to it, but still in sequence.

But no, I don't remember such a rule in the Fleming game  Such a rule would make a bit of sense, since the cards were being pulled manually.  Of course, I also don't remember an out-of-order pick on he Fleming show either.

Okay, so they decide to restrict the order of selection for this category. Is it safe to say this is still their practice with other video or "Clue Crew" categories? And, given that some contestants purposely select boxes out of order in a hunt for the Daily, do they avoid putting the Daily in this subject line?
<p>I share a birthday with Jack Barry.

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2011, 04:23:22 PM »
Okay, so they decide to restrict the order of selection for this category. Is it safe to say this is still their practice with other video or "Clue Crew" categories? And, given that some contestants purposely select boxes out of order in a hunt for the Daily, do they avoid putting the Daily in this subject line?
I couldn't tell you what their current practice is, but with the ever-increasing convenience of digital video files, it may be the case that they no longer have to limit the players in that manner.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

Ian Wallis

« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2011, 04:27:21 PM »
Of course, I also don't remember an out-of-order pick on he Fleming show either.

I remember a few occasions where they picked out of order.  It usually happened when a contestant was behind and time was running out.  This was on the '64-75 version.  Interestingly, on the handful of episodes that exist from the '78 version, it seemed like it was far more common.
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

Hastin

« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2011, 03:32:47 AM »
I couldn't tell you what their current practice is, but with the ever-increasing convenience of digital video files, it may be the case that they no longer have to limit the players in that manner.

It seems so looking at some of the J-Archive recent games. Heck, even the new Classroom Jeopardy! supports video files, and can play them when jumping around the board. ;)
-Hastin :)