Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Card Sharks Money Cards  (Read 7491 times)

wdm1219inpenna

Card Sharks Money Cards
« on: June 21, 2011, 11:16:08 AM »
Though produced by the same company (Goodson), it seems the Eubanks version differed in that on the bottom row, 4 cards were dealt out, covering up the $200 sign on the bottom level, whereas on Perry's version that was not the case.  Did CBS require the cards to be dealt differently, did Lacey & Susana "mess up" the first time and they just kept it that way, or did the show make an effort to just change the rule that way?  It seems it made more sense the way they did it on Eubanks' version.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Card Sharks Money Cards
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2011, 12:27:43 PM »
Did CBS require the cards to be dealt differently,
At the minimum, I don't have the first clue how this would even be considered as a remotely possible explanation.

If I were going to speculate in a totally wild-assed fashion (and any attempt to answer this question would be just that, wild-assed speculation), I would say that they probably did it this way because of Eubanks, and here's my totally-out-of-left-field logic for that:

Remembering what I do of him on that show, he was always very polite to his dealers, generally thanking them whenever they handed him something or did something for him or whatever. It would not surprise me if they did it the Perry way in run-throughs (remember those? Run-throughs?), and Eubanks broke up his rattle to thank the dealer when they handed him the first card, and it was decided it flowed better if they just dealt the card from the outset so he could issue the player their $200 and flow seamlessly into the game.

Of course, the Money Cards I found through a quick YouTube search totally contradicts this when the dude changes the card, but I'm gonna link it anyhow simply because it's such a freakin' good one:

Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Ian Wallis

Card Sharks Money Cards
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2011, 12:28:36 PM »
Though produced by the same company (Goodson), it seems the Eubanks version differed in that on the bottom row, 4 cards were dealt out, covering up the $200 sign on the bottom level, whereas on Perry's version that was not the case.  Did CBS require the cards to be dealt differently, did Lacey & Susana "mess up" the first time and they just kept it that way, or did the show make an effort to just change the rule that way?  It seems it made more sense the way they did it on Eubanks' version.

My guess it's just something the producers of the show decided to do for the new version.  One thing I liked was the maximum payout was an even $32,000, rather than the kind of awkward $28,800.
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

Joe Mello

• has hit the time release button
Card Sharks Money Cards
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2011, 12:43:20 PM »
The Money Cards proper look to be the first 7 cards off the top of the deck, and the sideboard is the next 3.

Could it just be simply for consistency's sake?
This signature is currently under construction.

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
Card Sharks Money Cards
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2011, 12:56:08 PM »
The Money Cards proper look to be the first 7 cards off the top of the deck, and the sideboard is the next 3.

Could it just be simply for consistency's sake?

The Money Cards board, as dealt in that fashion, uses 8 cards.

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

Johnissoevil

Card Sharks Money Cards
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2011, 04:12:06 PM »
I always thought that minor change was just a random thing they did, and nothing more.
In loving memory of my father, Curtis Fenner 4/29/44-8/13/15

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
Card Sharks Money Cards
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2011, 04:25:25 PM »
I always thought that minor change was just a random thing they did, and nothing more.

I thought that too, until I remembered all the minor things the Goodson camp would (at that time) fight for and debate. There was an anecdote describing how they argued what time's up bell Classic Concentration would use. While it's possible that it was random in the grand scheme of things, something tells me the way they dealt the cards was at least talked about at one point within the offices.

-Jason
« Last Edit: June 21, 2011, 04:25:50 PM by JasonA1 »
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

GrandGame1440

Card Sharks Money Cards
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2011, 04:57:26 PM »
There was an anecdote describing how they argued what time's up bell Classic Concentration would use.

Is that online somewhere?  I wouldn't mind reading about it.

joker316

Card Sharks Money Cards
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2011, 07:30:57 PM »
Since the CBS version had only the 3 cards on the sideboard, as opposed to the top of deck when changing the card, it would only be consistant to have the base card loaded first.
Survival of the fittest...And besides...it's FUN!!!!  ...Daffy Duck

clemon79

Card Sharks Money Cards
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2011, 07:47:09 PM »
Since the CBS version had only the 3 cards on the sideboard, as opposed to the top of deck when changing the card, it would only be consistant to have the base card loaded first.
I know I'm going to regret asking this, but why's that any more consistent then dealing out the cards and then handing Bob the first base card? Why does it matter?

MSTieScott

• Executive Producer
Card Sharks Money Cards
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2011, 10:26:43 PM »
Maybe that's why the change was made -- when dealing the cards the Eubanks way, the first card the player sees is the first card off the top of their deck. When dealing the cards the Perry way, the first card the player sees is the eighth card from their cut, which, when you think about it, doesn't make a lot of sense.

Of course, I doubt that any of the viewers at home put that kind of thought into it. But I can imagine a Goodson-Todman staffer bringing up that point.

clemon79

Card Sharks Money Cards
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2011, 10:57:57 PM »
Maybe that's why the change was made -- when dealing the cards the Eubanks way, the first card the player sees is the first card off the top of their deck. When dealing the cards the Perry way, the first card the player sees is the eighth card from their cut, which, when you think about it, doesn't make a lot of sense.
The cards are thoroughly shuffled and then cut. Whether the first card they see was on top of the deck or eighth from the top doesn't make a single damned lick of difference.

CJBojangles

Card Sharks Money Cards
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2011, 11:08:36 PM »
Watching that Eubanks clip, did anyone else miss the sort of "flourish" with which the Money Cards were dealt by the models on the Perry version? Just seemed more entertaining to me than the method Eubanks' models used, just sort of sitting them down carefully.

joker316

Card Sharks Money Cards
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2011, 12:28:37 PM »
I know I'm going to regret asking this, but why's that any more consistent then dealing out the cards and then handing Bob the first base card? Why does it matter?
I only offer it as a suggestion. I'm with you in that it really doesn't matter.
Survival of the fittest...And besides...it's FUN!!!!  ...Daffy Duck

clemon79

Card Sharks Money Cards
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2011, 01:25:33 PM »
I only offer it as a suggestion. I'm with you in that it really doesn't matter.
You still didn't answer my question about why one method is more "consistent" than the other, especially when you are now saying you agree that it doesn't ultimately matter.