Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: UCLA Archive  (Read 3669 times)

Eric Paddon

UCLA Archive
« on: June 23, 2011, 02:51:52 PM »
In the past, we've noted the list of game shows in the UCLA Archive, many of which are in an unrestored state.    UCLA though on its list of programs that they have restored completely, takes note of three game shows in particular.

Password 9/28/73.

I've Got A Secret  4/19/61.

What's My Line?   9/7/58.

http://www.cinema.ucla.edu/restoration/television-programs-preserved-ucla-1988-2010

The WML and IGAS programs would indicate that they are in fact surviving programs on videotape as opposed to kinescope which would be firsts for both shows.   It's too bad GSN never obtained those copies for airing since seeing both shows in their original format would have been great.

Vahan_Nisanian

UCLA Archive
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2011, 03:18:44 PM »
I remember seeing a photo from an actual ABC Password episode where the password was goatee. I have no idea where it came from. Was it from a promo or something? It's a mystery.

snowpeck

UCLA Archive
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2011, 03:27:51 PM »
The actual entries in the UCLA catalog are a bit more revealing than that link. The WML? episode is apparently a restored kinescope, but the IGAS episode is a bit more interesting.  The original holding is a 2 inch tape, converted to Betacam SP at CBS Television City, then dubbed down to VHS for a viewing copy at UCLA.

Also, the Password episode mentioned, with guests Betty White and James Shigeta, is apparently in black and white.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2011, 03:33:21 PM by snowpeck »
Co-owner, The Daytime TV Schedule Archive
My website: http://www.gregbrobeck.net
My board game collection: http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/snowpeck (recently passed the 100 mark!)

mmb5

UCLA Archive
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2011, 04:32:54 PM »
Also, the Password episode mentioned, with guests Betty White and James Shigeta, is apparently in black and white.
I can confirm.  Nothing of note on the episode.

If you ever go to UCLA to see it, they had it mislabeled as being an episode with Alan Alda.  I do not know if that has been corrected.
Portions of this post not affecting the outcome have been edited or recreated.

Ian Wallis

UCLA Archive
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2011, 05:11:38 PM »
I remember seeing a photo from an actual ABC Password episode where the password was goatee. I have no idea where it came from. Was it from a promo or something? It's a mystery.

That clip was from the ABC Fall Preview 1974 special.  They had a brief one-minute piece on the game shows of the day and a short clip from Password was featured.
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

Eric Paddon

UCLA Archive
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2011, 06:00:56 PM »
Appreciate the clarifications.  The IGAS one would thus be the one of biggest interest of those three for me just to see an IGAS in tape quality for the first time.   The episode has June Allyson as guest and Jayne Meadows on the panel in place of Bess.    Obviously the ABC Password would be nice too.

The list of course also confirms how the game show stuff we know they have from 71 and 73 remains "unrestored".

mmb5

UCLA Archive
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2011, 09:33:55 PM »
Appreciate the clarifications.  The IGAS one would thus be the one of biggest interest of those three for me just to see an IGAS in tape quality for the first time.   The episode has June Allyson as guest and Jayne Meadows on the panel in place of Bess.    Obviously the ABC Password would be nice too.

The list of course also confirms how the game show stuff we know they have from 71 and 73 remains "unrestored".
At hundreds of dollars a pop, I can see why they're not exactly trying to restore them.  I donate $25 a year because they've been a valuable resource for me, but I have still well underpaid for the service I have received.  I can't complain.  July 5 will be a very nice day.
Portions of this post not affecting the outcome have been edited or recreated.

RMF

UCLA Archive
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2011, 09:51:03 PM »
At hundreds of dollars a pop, I can see why they're not exactly trying to restore them.  

It should be remembered that, even beyond the issue of funding, there is the issue of "could they do it". It appears that the 1971/1973 materials (which aren't just game shows, but daytime programming, including weekends, generally) can't be played back on current equipment.

Here is just one reference noting that fact

JayDLewis

UCLA Archive
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2011, 10:01:05 PM »
I'm curious...

If someone had beaucoup bucks and the equipment, would the UCLA-A lend out their tapes for 3rd party transferring/restoration?
QWIZX.com  -- A little bit of everything

chrisholland03

UCLA Archive
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2011, 11:20:16 AM »
I'm curious...

If someone had beaucoup bucks and the equipment, would the UCLA-A lend out their tapes for 3rd party transferring/restoration?

I actually posed that question to them 15 years ago and the answer was 'no'.  Of course that was 15 years ago. In the current general state of economics, if someone came in with multiple plexiglass briefcases full of loot, their answer might be different today.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2011, 11:20:39 AM by chrisholland03 »

Fan4Sure

UCLA Archive
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2011, 01:34:31 PM »
Any unsold pilots at the UCLA Archive?

Steve Gavazzi

UCLA Archive
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2011, 02:23:28 PM »
Why don't you ask them and see how far you get?

The Pyramids

UCLA Archive
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2011, 02:41:54 PM »

Of the top of my head the Mark Goodson pilot 'TKO', never on the trading circuit, is there. I think the excellent Game Show Pilot Light site lists several that are at UCLA.

Matt Ottinger

UCLA Archive
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2011, 03:00:30 PM »
There are dozens, and yes, mmb5 has seen many of them, probably most that are available.  His site lists a relatively small fraction of them.

Somehow, it wouldn't surprise me if Fan4Sure already knew that.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

Vahan_Nisanian

UCLA Archive
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2011, 04:44:01 PM »
I wonder if its possible to copy an episode that's on a manageable tape format (digibeta or betacam) onto VHS? In fact, which tape format are the MG '90 pilots on?