Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Advice on Los Angeles/TPIR?  (Read 6237 times)

J-Matt

Advice on Los Angeles/TPIR?
« on: June 26, 2011, 07:02:45 PM »
[size="3"][font="Palatino Linotype"]Okay, I really would like some friendly advice from you guys/gals, the experts.
I have been a lover of game shows throughout my entire 28 years of life. Granted, living in middle-of-nowhere, Virginia, I honestly haven't had many or any opportunities to go see one. But, and I may be foolish for doing so, I have decided to cash in a small bit of my 401K, bite the bullet, grab a friend, and making my ultimate pilgrimage to LA for a week. My top goal, as it has always been: The Price is Right.
I wouldn't call myself a casual game show fan, but I certainly wouldn't bestow myself the honor of saying that I am a pro. I'm really nervous. Partly because I know this may be my one shot to get into Contestant's Row (3 tapings), and also because I fear I may not even get into the studio. And I'm hoping that's where you guys can help.
Now, I have made my peace that there's a decent chance I may not be called, but I'd like to optimize my opportunities. I'm sure within this vast wealth of knowledge on this site, there is someone far more experienced than I.  What is the interview process like? I would also like some tips as to how early to get there, what to bring during the long wait, etc. I know that during the Barker years, you needed to be there EXTREMELY early, but has that relaxed a little with Drew as host, or the opposite? (most of the information I can locate is circa 2007 and earlier) Any information you could provide would be great, and I eagerly look forward to any assistance you can provide.[/font][/size]

Jeremy Nelson

« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2011, 07:35:20 PM »
When you're interviewed in line, be energetic. Show a love for the show and be excited. I'm not exactly sure what else you could do that can differentiate you from the rest of the other excitable prospects, but I'm sure someone else may have more info. Remember, most groups get one of their people's names called, so if you're going alone, you really gotta make your short time count.

Before you leave, make sure to know the "unwritten rules" for pricing games, like the Ten Chances zero rule. Also, if designer clothes are up for bids, never bid less than $2000- contestants still vastly underbid on that stuff. Not totally what you're asking about, but it's good to keep in mind just in case you do get selected,

Haven't seen the show live in the Drew era, but from what I hear, you are right- the lines aren't as crazy, but again, another poster should have more info.

Over at Golden Road in the Season 40 thread, one of the posters apparently went to premiere week, and the coordinators pulled some pretty people with tickets in the 200s and gave them front row seats. This is just one person's account, but if there's any validity to it, that sucks big time.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2011, 07:36:42 PM by Jeremy Nelson »
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.

CJBojangles

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2011, 07:55:04 PM »
Per that member's account, the "Order of Arrival" passes that used to be given out at the wee hours of the morning were done away with. These used to allow people who had been waiting in line for hours (presumably to get a good seat) to leave and get something to eat, move their cars, etc. and then return, able to keep their place in line. According to his account, people are now told if they leave, they lose their spots. Order of arrival under this method becomes completely irrelevant, meaning people who got there 15 minutes before processing could end up with a better seat just at the whim of the producers.

I've got tickets for the show next week myself, so I'll be able to tell you if they're still using this practice.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2011, 07:56:17 PM by CJBojangles »

thewhammy_2000

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2011, 12:21:59 AM »
In nutshells, I'll tell you how it was.

At first, it would be best to reserve a room near the studio so you can walk. The rooms around there used to average around $65 a day. I used to arrive in line around midnight and would wait for at least six hours until we got our OoAPs. During that time, people literally camped out in chairs, blankets, and sleeping bags all night. It will get cold, so more than a jacket could help. Most of the people there would keep your spot in line in case you would want to go to the gas station across Fairfax (for restroom and/or snacks) or to an open restaurant such as Canter's down Fairfax. During that time, some people walk to different sections of the line, socializing about the show and/or themselves. It would be very unlikely that some of the people in line would be antagionistic--they may support you.

If you want to wait, I would suggest bringing something warm and comfortable and something to stretch the time, like cards, games, or portable gadgetry.

Depening on how much all that has and will change this year, you would still have to wait about a couple of hours for the tags, pictures, and IDing until you get interviewed for about 10-70 seconds, depending on the person. Then a couple more hours for all that, a security check, and a couple of episode watching. I would suggest a cushion because THERE WILL BE A LOT OF SITTING.

I did have a multi-page report on my first time. If I can find it, I can send you a copy.

TimK2003

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2011, 10:38:17 AM »
When my wife and I went on our honeymoon, we wore our "Just Married" t-shirts -- which were tastefully done by an airbrush artist and not by Ronco's "Make Your Own T-Shirt Kit", which was a big help since she was ultimately called.  

Definitely personality and excitement is an unwritten requirement ("Smiles everyone, Smiles").  When we planned to see Price months earlier, I kept telling my wife that she WILL be picked, since she had that personality and enthusiasm.  When we got to the interview portion, I remember Mr. Wayne asking my wife two follow up questions after she did the quick "who she was and where she was from" spiel, which everyone does.  I want to say one question had to do with the shirts -- "How many days have you been married?", but I really don't remember that part.  

I will say that those dozen or so people who were interviewed with us in that group were also saying after the interviews that they thought my wife was going to be called as well.  Whether it was the verbal or non-verbal cues Mr. Wayne and his crew made during the interview portion, or just they way my wife presented herself, it seemed to be a consensus that my wife as going to hear her name that day (Thanks, Randy!!!).

Also kind of hope for a few large groups of people.  It kind of helps the odds to be more in your favor, since if one person gets called down from that group of 20 or 30, then the other 19 or 29 have a snowball's chance in hell of getting called as well. Multiply that by 4, and the odds of landing one of those other 5 positions is looking real good.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2011, 10:45:10 AM by TimK2003 »

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2011, 01:29:17 PM »
tastefully done by an airbrush artist
Frankly, a phrase you don't see used very often.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

tvrandywest

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2011, 01:38:51 PM »
... Whether it was the verbal or non-verbal cues Mr. Wayne and his crew made during the interview portion, or just they way my wife presented herself, it seemed to be a consensus that my wife as going to hear her name that day (Thanks, Randy!!!)...
You're welcome!!!!   ;-)

Randy
tvrandywest.com
The story behind the voice you know and love... the voice of a generation of game shows: Johnny Olson!

Celebrate the centennial of the America's favorite announcer with "Johnny Olson: A Voice in Time."

Preview the book free: click "Johnny O Tribute" http://www.tvrandywest.com

J-Matt

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2011, 03:01:16 PM »
When you're interviewed in line, be energetic. Show a love for the show and be excited. I'm not exactly sure what else you could do that can differentiate you from the rest of the other excitable prospects, but I'm sure someone else may have more info. Remember, most groups get one of their people's names called, so if you're going alone, you really gotta make your short time count.

I wish I could get a group to go, but coast-to-coast travel isn't cheap, and getting friends to go from around here is a little difficult :(

I did have a multi-page report on my first time. If I can find it, I can send you a copy.
That would be great!

When my wife and I went on our honeymoon, we wore our "Just Married" t-shirts -- which were tastefully done by an airbrush artist and not by Ronco's "Make Your Own T-Shirt Kit", which was a big help since she was ultimately called.  

Definitely personality and excitement is an unwritten requirement ("Smiles everyone, Smiles").  When we planned to see Price months earlier, I kept telling my wife that she WILL be picked, since she had that personality and enthusiasm.  When we got to the interview portion, I remember Mr. Wayne asking my wife two follow up questions after she did the quick "who she was and where she was from" spiel, which everyone does.  I want to say one question had to do with the shirts -- "How many days have you been married?", but I really don't remember that part.  

My partner and I are currently working on our shirts, and we are having so much fun and getting excited!!!

Brian44

« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2011, 05:01:30 PM »
While I couldn't agree more about keeping your level of enthusiasm high, since Michael Richards took the helm as producer, the show no longer caters to the "Loyal Friends and True," the faithful who watch the show every day and know all of TPIR's intricacies. You will get a lot of advice here, on golden-road.net and other sources about the unwritten Ten Chances rule, the Cover-Up and Now...or Then strategies, non-repeating digits in Golden Road, etc.  Take in as many words of wisdom as you can from these sources. View recent episodes and analyze them to death. Memorize prices in your head if you wish. But once you step onto CBS TV City property, I would highly suggest that you not tell a soul anything you know about how the show works. Not the interviewer. Not the pages. Not the people waiting with you in line. Your every move is being watched at all times, more than it ever has been.

FWIW, I was on the show in 1996, and when I tried out again in 2008 once Barker left, I wore a T-shirt that said "Loyal Friend & Drew." Today, if you were to wear a shirt like this, you might as well just go home. (BTW, I didn't get picked that next time.)

Smile and laugh at everything everybody says or does, no matter how absolutely idiotic or cheesy they may seem.

You will be lined up with 10 people at a time for your interview and once it's your turn you will have less than 15 seconds to sell yourself. Be enthusiastic but be geniune. Do not lie about the slightest thing. They will pick up on it instantly. As Tim mentioned, they asked his wife a few follow-up questions and she was picked. In the group of 10 from my show in 1996, Phil Wayne asked everyone two questions, but he asked only me a third question: "Brian, you look very familiar. Where have I seen you before?" I told him with a smile that I had tried out for the TPIR on Memorial Day of the previous year. That was the God-honest truth. He then jokingly said to his assistant, "Oh yeah, I do remember that day, don't you?" and she said, "Oh, of course!" The whole group got a chuckle out of that! I was the first one in line that day and the first to be called to "Come on Down!"

I hope this helps. Keep us posted and GOOD LUCK!!!

Brian
« Last Edit: June 27, 2011, 05:19:34 PM by Brian44 »

Twentington

• I just got to win / Spin the Wheel again
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2011, 09:17:01 PM »
the show no longer caters to the "Loyal Friends and True," the faithful who watch the show every day and know all of TPIR's intricacies.

Except the little things, like knowing any of the rules to the pricing games. I swear someday, we're going to see someone fark up Double Prices.
Bobby Peacock

Steve Gavazzi

« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2011, 12:05:26 AM »
Except the little things, like knowing any of the rules to the pricing games. I swear someday, we're going to see someone fark up Double Prices.
Hell, we've already seen Drew do that.

Mr. Armadillo

« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2011, 09:01:41 AM »
FWIW, I was on the show in 1996, and when I tried out again in 2008 once Barker left, I wore a T-shirt that said "Loyal Friend & Drew." Today, if you were to wear a shirt like this, you might as well just go home. (BTW, I didn't get picked that next time.)
I've asked it before and I'll ask it again, since I can't seem to get a straight answer...does anyone have any actual proof that they'll immediately dis-consider anyone with a shirt like that (or with an attitude of "I know what the heck I'm doing here"), or is it just paranoia on the part of a few tin-foil-ists around here?

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2011, 10:13:46 AM »
I've asked it before and I'll ask it again, since I can't seem to get a straight answer...does anyone have any actual proof that they'll immediately dis-consider anyone with a shirt like that (or with an attitude of "I know what the heck I'm doing here"), or is it just paranoia on the part of a few tin-foil-ists around here?
I'm normally not all that interested in the continued bitching and moaning of the LFAT crowd, but I don't think it's necessary to drop "paranoia" and "tin-foil-ists" into the conversation.  My very uninformed opinion (which I was about to post before this comment) is that Brian's observations, though tinged with that anti-modern-era frustration, were probably spot-on.  I think Exhibit A for the defense is the way the show handled the perfect Showcase bid a while back.  They aren't looking for "good" game players, they're looking for "fun" game players.  There are also enough stories about recognized "ringers" either being disinvited or stuck in the back that I think it's reasonable to suggest to someone specifically asking for advice that he not come across as some kind of pricing game savant.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

Mr. Armadillo

« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2011, 03:47:32 PM »
Thanks.  Just trying to keep my facts straight.  As a moderator over at g-r, it's all too easy to forget just what's real and what isn't at times.

Brian44

« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2011, 05:20:42 PM »

This is just my hunch. I wore the "Loyal Friend and Drew" T-shirt during Season 36, which many folks here and over at g-r.net consider still part of the Barker Era with a different MC and different colored doors and turntable walls. The Dob was still in solid control, we still had a pricing game named after Bob, and Drew seemed more cognizant of whose big shoes he was filling. I agree with Matt's statement about today's leniency toward fun players and not so much good players. You certainly can be both, but the less you demonstrate the latter, the better. The T-shirt may have gotten me somewhere then, but today, no way!

When I played Bonus Game, as Rod was describing the first SP, I told Bob that I had seen it on a recent show and that it was $60. He restated all of this on-air and when he revealed the $60 price he grinned and said, "He's been watching our show!" Today, Drew would not give two damns if I knew the price. Moreover, there'd be a 100X greater likelihood that I had not even seen the SP on a previous show.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2011, 05:22:40 PM by Brian44 »