Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Jeff Probst talker for 2012......  (Read 8832 times)

tyshaun1

Jeff Probst talker for 2012......
« on: June 27, 2011, 07:51:21 PM »
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/survivors-jeff-probst-inks-deal-205869

Rumor has it that CBS is willing to forfeit an hour of daytime programming in exchange for its affiliates picking up this talk show. Even though "The Talk" is currently the network's lowest rated show, it and Let's Make A Deal are neck and neck in the 18-49 demo.

Tyshaun

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2011, 07:54:49 PM »
It's a syndicated show, so that does not mean the end of LMAD, necessarily.  Maybe CBS will cut B&B or Y&R as a cost saving measure.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2011, 07:57:10 PM by Jimmy Owen »
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

GrandGame1440

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2011, 08:23:14 PM »
It's a syndicated show, so that does not mean the end of LMAD, necessarily.  Maybe CBS will cut B&B or Y&R as a cost saving measure.
As often as I see it being said that soaps are dying, I don't see that happening anytime soon.  Those are the number one and two daytime shows on television.  That's not to say within the next few years they might consider it.

catkins522

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2011, 08:33:11 PM »

While it's a good idea, I don't think those 2 soaps are not going anywhere any time soon.  Y&R is sponsered by Sony and is the highest viewership for the past 5-10 years.  B&B has won 3 Best Soap Opera in the past 3 years.

Maybe, they could cut LMAD to a 1/2 hour, get rid of The Talk and give back the affilites a 1/2 hour so they can compete in the noon news block.

My opinion though...

Charles Atkins
-----------

Bigger and better....in HD!!!!

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2011, 08:39:26 PM »
Why? (to JO)

Besides, isn't Dr. Phil's contract up in 2012? Would free up a spot on CTD's big board (and isn't that a part of a few O&O lineups too? I know a lot of NBC affiliates were running him but I have to figure at least one other CBS O&O is airing him). Plus I can't imagine Rachael Ray is pulling in the same numbers she once did.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2011, 08:51:32 PM »
Why? (to JO)

Besides, isn't Dr. Phil's contract up in 2012? Would free up a spot on CTD's big board (and isn't that a part of a few O&O lineups too? I know a lot of NBC affiliates were running him but I have to figure at least one other CBS O&O is airing him). Plus I can't imagine Rachael Ray is pulling in the same numbers she once did.
Dr. Phil is now the number one talk show in daytime in the two weeks since Oprah went into reruns, so he's not going anywhere.  I doubt many CBS stations will pick up the new Katie Couric show, since she flopped as their evening news anchor.  It all comes down to cost of production.  A soap requires teams of writers, actors, set designers, tech people, etc. and they can never be rerun.  Soaps are becoming an anacronism.  ABC is dumping two of them soon and they're also doing away with SoapNet.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

PYLdude

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2011, 09:09:28 PM »
I call shenanigans on Dr. Phil having the highest rated talk show. Proof or Not Real.

Considering that Y&R and B&B are still drawing ratings, unlike the other jettisoned serials, i don't see why CBS would be in a rush to drop them. Guiding Light had crappy ratings for years and As the World Turns didn't age gracefully either.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

colonial

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2011, 09:19:59 PM »
One option that no one seems to be talking about is the future of "The Early Show."  There's a new team in charge at CBS News, and it's well-known that the suits at The Eye are not happing with "Early's" putrid ratings.  IIRC, CBS gave "Early" an ultimatum not too long ago to shape up and break some news stories or else.

Currently, "Early" gets about one-third of "Today's" ratings in the 25-54 demo.  The show regularly trails Today, GMA, local Fox affiliate newscasts and "Fox and Friends."  The last time CBS wasn't in the morning show cellar, Willard Scott was wearing a Carmen Miranda costume.   Affiliates are still not pleased with a CBS directive from a few years ago that forced them to broadcast "Early Show."

Maybe it's me, but I can see CBS getting out of the morning news show game entirely, cancelling "Early" and giving the two hours back to the affiliates, provided that one hour goes to Mr. Probst.

JD

PYLdude

« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2011, 09:24:36 PM »
Considering CBS has been remarkably unwilling to leave the morning show game despite its inability to draw flies I don't see that happening.

chad1m

« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2011, 09:28:20 PM »
I call shenanigans on Dr. Phil having the highest rated talk show. Proof or Not Real.
Not that hard to verify. Dr. Phil's show was #14, the next closest were Oprah reruns at #21, then Live at #23.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2011, 09:31:10 PM by chad1m »

PYLdude

« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2011, 09:35:01 PM »
Color me surprised.

TimK2003

« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2011, 10:45:21 PM »
Considering CBS has been remarkably unwilling to leave the morning show game despite its inability to draw flies I don't see that happening.

But The Chenbot® is not a daily personality on that show anymore.  It has a better chance at cancellation than at least "The Talk" and "Big Brother".

PYLdude

« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2011, 12:01:25 AM »

But The Chenbot® is not a daily personality on that show anymore.  It has a better chance at cancellation than at least "The Talk" and "Big Brother".

Absolutely irrelevant. She wasn't there from the beginning of CBS' morning program broadcasts and CBS has really struggled to find morning success over the years.

I don't care if she's shtupping the head of the network. She was neither the cause of, nor any sort of solution to, the long standing morning show issues that continue to plague CBS. Like I said, it hasn't mattered worth a crap who has been hosting or connected with the morning program at CBS, they haven't been able to do much there. And they don't seem willing to concede that point and find some other way.

NickS

« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2011, 02:08:15 PM »

Real, for at least for week one.

The problem I've seen on the net is some saying "CBS signs Probst to Talker" and not even reporting that it's CBSD and not necessarily a true net talker.

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2011, 03:08:18 PM »
Like I said, it hasn't mattered worth a crap who has been hosting or connected with the morning program at CBS, they haven't been able to do much there. And they don't seem willing to concede that point and find some other way.
Actually, I got the impression that the latest move was absolutely a concession to their reality.  Field a B-team of capable but inexpensive (by network standards) talent and subsist off the third-place crumbs.  What "other way" is there except to totally give up and give the time back to the locals?  It's not like they'll be bringing back Captain Kangaroo.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.