Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: AV Club "A Very Special Episode"  (Read 2897 times)

MyronMMeyer

AV Club "A Very Special Episode"
« on: June 29, 2011, 02:13:19 PM »
The Onion AV Club has a regular column called "A Very Special Episode", in which writer Noel Murray looks at individual episodes of various TV shows and writes about their place in TV, broadcast, and American history. The 4th "Season" starts tomorrow with an article called "Celebrity Hot Potato, 6/29/84", which I'm sure will be of interest to this board. Will he be looking at the "celebritizing" of game shows, the career of Bill Cullen, or just game shows in general? (Sometimes a specific episode is chosen because is is the only existing episode he has to work with. His "Tonight Show" article, for instance. I hope it hasn't been pulled from YouTube in the meantime.)

I've been waiting for this one for a couple of weeks, and it finally posts tomorrow. AV Club usually updates right after midnight, so let's check it out together, either at AV Club or at the page for the A Very Special Episode series.

-M

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2011, 02:26:45 PM »
Oh, MMM, you've done it again.  What a terrific time waster it will be this summer for me to go through the backlog of old episodes on this site.  Just a wonderful mix of truly classic and truly camp.  Can't wait to get lost in it.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2011, 03:13:03 PM »
A Very Special Episode is indeed a good feature. Their "Inventory" lists are also time well wasted.

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

aaron sica

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2011, 10:52:54 PM »
Of course, everyone's going to have their own opinion, but IMHO, they should include the episode of AITF entitled "The Draft Dodger". One of the best episodes of that show.

MyronMMeyer

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2011, 06:09:16 AM »
Will he be looking at the "celebritizing" of game shows, the career of Bill Cullen, or just game shows in general?

Looks like the answer was D: "All of the above."

http://www.avclub.com/articles/celebrity-hot-potato-62984,58290/

Note: the very first comment below the article is a correction. See if you can find the factual error as you read.

-M

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2011, 12:24:19 PM »
The author handled the subject with aplomb - saying enough to make his comments on game shows credible, but not cramming in unnecessary facts as many members of our board would do. Cheers.

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

knagl

• Executive Producer
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2011, 08:48:41 PM »
I was disappointed that the author didn't refer to it as, "Celebrity Hot  :pssssssst:  Potato", but other than that I really enjoyed the article, the pictures, and the video clips.  Thanks for posting.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2011, 08:49:09 PM by knagl »

chrisholland03

« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2011, 10:08:14 PM »
I thought the article was pretty dang funny!