Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Marty Wagner retires  (Read 3208 times)

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
Marty Wagner retires
« on: June 29, 2011, 03:22:15 PM »
Courtesy of Drew Carey's two Twitter accounts, cameraman Marty Wagner is retiring after 55 years in the biz.

Marty used to take the pan shot of the first few rows in the opening. I was in the audience last August before the season started airing. I looked up at the monitor to see what they did differently that season, only to be spooked that Marty was panning mine and a dozen other faces in the crowd. When the episode aired, I was confused to see them using the same dips and swooshes from the jib camera in the open. I asked around why Marty was doing that shot. A safety for editing in case one of the other cameras went out?

"Nobody calls for that shot. Marty must be doing it for fun."

-Jason
« Last Edit: June 29, 2011, 03:23:34 PM by JasonA1 »
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

cmjb13

Marty Wagner retires
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2011, 03:29:54 PM »
Interesting fellow that Marty..

I had been visiting the show for several years, when he decided to strike up a conversation with me (in either during Barker's Final year or Drew's first year)

I found it strange that when he was talking with me, he was literally nose to nose with me.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2011, 03:37:07 PM by cmjb13 »
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
Marty Wagner retires
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2011, 06:45:09 PM »
I was confused to see them using the same dips and swooshes from the jib camera in the open. I asked around why Marty was doing that shot. A safety for editing in case one of the other cameras went out?
I believe all of the cameras are iso'ed now. That's how they were able to cover up Terry Kniess fielding his perfect showcase bid from the audience.

/How else would you spell the past tense of the verb "iso"?

tvrandywest

Marty Wagner retires
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2011, 04:17:53 AM »
Loved chatting with Marty when I was working there. He has seen it all in his l-o-n-g career. Would enjoy seeing some game show or TV nostalgia website interview him.

I wish him less politics in his retirement   ;-)

Randy
tvrandywest.com
The story behind the voice you know and love... the voice of a generation of game shows: Johnny Olson!

Celebrate the centennial of the America's favorite announcer with "Johnny Olson: A Voice in Time."

Preview the book free: click "Johnny O Tribute" http://www.tvrandywest.com