Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: The Chamber  (Read 5767 times)

vexer6

The Chamber
« on: July 03, 2011, 04:28:23 PM »
So, did anyone besides me actually like this show?  I thought it was really exciting, yeah it might've gone a bit "too far" for some people(though Survivor and Fear Factor are both arguably more dangerous, i'll gladly take being burned or frozen over having to eat bull testicles or sheep's eyes, i'm getting sick just thinking about it!) But it's certainly better then Fox's recent game show offerings(5th Grader just dosen't do it for me, Hole In The Wall should've never been attempted, and MDMD pretty much doomed itself with it's "all or nothing" format) and I wouldn't mind seeing a revival of it.  I just really wish that Fox didn't rush the show to compete with "The Chair"(which wasn't that great anyways) and cancel it before the remaining 3 episodes could air. (I really wanted see the electric, water and insect chambers)

GrandGame1440

The Chamber
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2011, 04:51:01 PM »
I read an interview Johnny Carson gave in 2002 (his last) that he actually enjoyed watching this, The Chair, Fear Factor, and Survivor simply because he "delighted in crap."
« Last Edit: July 03, 2011, 05:42:03 PM by GrandGame1440 »

Jimmy Owen

The Chamber
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2011, 04:55:06 PM »
Never saw it.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

vexer6

The Chamber
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2011, 05:39:36 PM »
I read an interview Johnny Carson gave in 2002 (his last) that he actually enjoyed watching this, The Chair, and Fear Factor simply because he "delighted in crap."
Makes sense, that must be the same reason why DOND lasted for so long.

Mr. Brown

The Chamber
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2011, 05:52:26 PM »
I read an interview Johnny Carson gave in 2002 (his last) that he actually enjoyed watching this, The Chair, Fear Factor, and Survivor simply because he "delighted in crap."

This right here is why Johnny Carson was and always will be the king of late night.
Cheers,
Mr. Brown, Esq.
‎"I am on a drug. It's called Charlie Sheen. It's not available because if you try it, you will die. Your face will melt off and your children will weep over your exploded body." -Charlie Sheen

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
The Chamber
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2011, 06:52:41 PM »
The Chamber was an offensive and disgusting program that never should have made air. How anyone cannot rank this in its rightful place among the all time worst is beyond me. How can you say the danger factor on Survivor or Fear Factor was worse? The Chamber was human torture!

And The Chair wasn't a whole lot better.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

BrandonFG

The Chamber
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2011, 07:25:39 PM »
I remember going out to dinner with friends the night it premiered. There was no one in the restaurant, so I was able to change the channel. It was my first and last time watching, because I found it just that insipid.

Didn't mind The Chair, but it was still another gimmicky game show that placed all its emphasis on the chrome. They both deserved the obscurity they received.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2011, 03:20:04 PM by fostergray82 »
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

Ian Wallis

The Chamber
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2011, 09:51:29 PM »
The Chair wasn't bad.  I think I watched part of one episode of The Chamber and never went back.  Why would people audition to be contestants on these types of shows?  I guess everyone must want their 15 minutes of fame.  I do too - but not that bad!
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
The Chamber
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2011, 01:02:12 AM »
MDMD pretty much doomed itself with it's "all or nothing" format)
This phrase. I do not think it means what you think it means.

The Chamber was an offensive and disgusting program that never should have made air.
Everyone signed on the dotted line going in. I question the sanity of someone who was willing to endure that for a thousand dollars a question, but I didn't have a problem with the conceit. I had a problem with how uninteresting the game play was.

And The Chair wasn't a whole lot better.
How so? I thought it was light years better, myself.
Travis L. Eberle

vexer6

The Chamber
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2011, 01:40:04 AM »
Most of the scenarios on "The Chair" were pretty lame, (I.E. John McEnroe serving tennis balls at a contestant, how is that exciting?) and John was pretty weak as a host.

PYLdude

The Chamber
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2011, 03:05:30 AM »
I just thought The Chair added way too much drama to what was a bland quizzer. I liked the fact that they tried to play up the stress factor and how it can screw with your heart rate but I felt they went to patently ridiculous levels to do so (alligators, now really).
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
The Chamber
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2011, 03:14:40 AM »
(alligators, now really).
I will yield to my learned colleague on the point of the alligators. Absolutely. I admit I liked the idea of "everyone's excited to be on a game show, what if being excited means you'll lose?" but the problem inherent with that is you end up watching people struggle internally to get their rate low enough to play, and they're pissing away the money and so there's that to contend with, and you watch a guy trying to be chill enough to keep his last couple of bucks and I end up looking for an entry under "recursion." Interesting idea but really unworkable. On the other hand, I think the idea of distracting contestants while they're trying to answer questions was done pitch perfectly on Distraction in England.
Travis L. Eberle

PYLdude

The Chamber
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2011, 03:46:32 AM »
It's too bad Distraction really didn't catch on here. Keep in mind my exposure to the UK version is kinda limited, but I think your assessment of it is fairly spot on. I did quite enjoy the version here, though.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
The Chamber
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2011, 04:41:46 AM »
Makes sense, that must be the same reason why DOND lasted for so long.
We get it, you can stop banging the drum now.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Mr. Armadillo

The Chamber
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2011, 02:46:58 PM »
So, did anyone besides me actually like this show?

I did.  Then again, I was 17 at the time, so I was probably squarely in their target demographic.  My biggest gripes with the show were technical...if the earpieces slipped out of the contestant's ears, they were pretty much screwed through no fault of their own.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2011, 02:47:47 PM by Mr. Armadillo »