Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Trebek HR Query  (Read 3023 times)

J.R.

Trebek HR Query
« on: December 01, 2003, 04:51:31 PM »
Aside from the infamous finalie, the only other existing ep of Trebek's "HR" is that with the man who made the fastest $30,000 I've ever seen on a 70s Game Show.

Anyway, my question is. Does anybody know what happned to Gene in the later episodes ? Did he eventually get beat or did he retire undefeated ?

Slighty-related q: Does anybody know Trebek's behavior in the episodes prior to the 1980 Finalie ?

Thanks !
-Joe R.
-Joe Raygor

Jimmy Owen

Trebek HR Query
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2003, 05:47:37 PM »
[quote name=\'JRaygor\' date=\'Dec 1 2003, 04:51 PM\']

Slighty-related q: Does anybody know Trebek's behavior in the episodes prior to the 1980 Finalie ?

Thanks !
-Joe R. [/quote]
 The same.  Alex was wacky from day one on the revival.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

Card Shark

Trebek HR Query
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2003, 08:21:11 PM »
[quote name=\'JRaygor\' date=\'Dec 1 2003, 05:51 PM\'] Aside from the infamous finalie, the only other existing ep of Trebek's "HR" is that with the man who made the fastest $30,000 I've ever seen on a 70s Game Show.

[/quote]
 Was that the premiere of the return to NBC in 1978? Because I have the finale and another episode of Trebek's HR, which is the 1978 premiere.
Adam Strom

NickintheATL

• Husband of snowpeck
Trebek HR Query
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2003, 09:25:43 PM »
[quote name=\'Card Shark\' date=\'Dec 1 2003, 08:21 PM\'] Was that the premiere of the return to NBC in 1978? Because I have the finale and another episode of Trebek's HR, which is the 1978 premiere.
[/quote]

Now wait a second here.... you have the premiere? I may have been out of the trading loop for a while, but when was this found?

The Gene Schook ep is from 5/19/78, the end of the 4th week I believe.

But, back to the point, is this a joke, or is this for real, because if it is, I'd like to get a copy of this!
« Last Edit: December 01, 2003, 09:26:12 PM by NicholasM79 »

zachhoran

Trebek HR Query
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2003, 09:32:16 PM »
[quote name=\'NicholasM79\' date=\'Dec 1 2003, 09:25 PM\'] [quote name=\'Card Shark\' date=\'Dec 1 2003, 08:21 PM\'] Was that the premiere of the return to NBC in 1978? Because I have the finale and another episode of Trebek's HR, which is the 1978 premiere.
[/quote]

Now wait a second here.... you have the premiere? I may have been out of the trading loop for a while, but when was this found?

But, back to the point, is this a joke, or is this for real, because if it is, I'd like to get a copy of this! [/quote]
That 1978 episode with Gene winning $30K was located c. 1998. If someone on our clique had Trebek's HR78 premiere, it would have been mentioned on ATGS or here by now. What he thinks is the premiere is from the fourth week as you describe I think. Also in that same group of shows was the Marvin Shinkman fifth win ep. of Split Second from 1975 and an episode of To Say the Least from 1978(not the premiere), plus he had some Battlestars and Bullseye episodes IIRC.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2003, 10:02:40 PM by zachhoran »

Card Shark

Trebek HR Query
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2003, 11:06:01 PM »
[quote name=\'NicholasM79\' date=\'Dec 1 2003, 09:25 PM\'] [quote name=\'Card Shark\' date=\'Dec 1 2003, 08:21 PM\'] Was that the premiere of the return to NBC in 1978? Because I have the finale and another episode of Trebek's HR, which is the 1978 premiere.
[/quote]

But, back to the point, is this a joke, or is this for real, because if it is, I'd like to get a copy of this! [/quote]
The guy I originally got it from back five years ago had it listed as the premiere on his page. For the life of me, I can't remember who I got it from. In the next day or two, I will go and check out the tape, when I actually have time and see if the episode I have is the one being described. I'm not trying to make jokes or anything. I'm just going by what the guy said on his site. The beginning sequence says "It's 1978...It's the New High Rollers..." and that's about all I can remember. That's why it's some times a good thing to have Zach posting here because he can set stuff like this straight.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2003, 11:06:32 PM by Card Shark »
Adam Strom

zachhoran

Trebek HR Query
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2003, 12:15:07 AM »
[quote name=\'Card Shark\' date=\'Dec 1 2003, 11:06 PM\']
The guy I originally got it from back five years ago had it listed as the premiere on his page. [/quote]
 If a returning champ is mentioned at the start of the show, and more importantly if they don't start at the beginning of a match, it ain't the premiere  :)

NickintheATL

• Husband of snowpeck
Trebek HR Query
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2003, 04:48:57 AM »
[quote name=\'Card Shark\' date=\'Dec 1 2003, 11:06 PM\'] The guy I originally got it from back five years ago had it listed as the premiere on his page. For the life of me, I can't remember who I got it from. In the next day or two, I will go and check out the tape, when I actually have time and see if the episode I have is the one being described. I'm not trying to make jokes or anything. I'm just going by what the guy said on his site. The beginning sequence says "It's 1978...It's the New High Rollers..." and that's about all I can remember. That's why it's some times a good thing to have Zach posting here because he can set stuff like this straight.
 [/quote]
 I'm sorry, I didn't mean to insult you in the original reply. I was saying that if it is the premiere, I would love a copy of it. I hope you are correct and I am wrong. Sorry for the misinterpretation.

And about ZH.... no comment on that.

Card Shark

Trebek HR Query
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2003, 06:58:31 AM »
[quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Dec 2 2003, 12:15 AM\'] [quote name=\'Card Shark\' date=\'Dec 1 2003, 11:06 PM\']
The guy I originally got it from back five years ago had it listed as the premiere on his page. [/quote]
If a returning champ is mentioned at the start of the show, and more importantly if they don't start at the beginning of a match, it ain't the premiere  :) [/quote]
 I understand that, Zach. But, as I was saying earlier, I haven't actually watched the tape since I first got it back in 1998. I remember it having the intro I described in an earlier post and remember what the description of the episode read on the guy's web page. A lot has happened in my life since 1998 and can't remember if there was a returning champion at the beginning of the episode or not. But, as I also said, in the next day or so, when I actually have a few moments, I will dig the tape out and take a look.
Adam Strom

Card Shark

Trebek HR Query
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2003, 07:00:24 AM »
[quote name=\'NicholasM79\' date=\'Dec 2 2003, 04:48 AM\'] [quote name=\'Card Shark\' date=\'Dec 1 2003, 11:06 PM\'] The guy I originally got it from back five years ago had it listed as the premiere on his page. For the life of me, I can't remember who I got it from. In the next day or two, I will go and check out the tape, when I actually have time and see if the episode I have is the one being described. I'm not trying to make jokes or anything. I'm just going by what the guy said on his site. The beginning sequence says "It's 1978...It's the New High Rollers..." and that's about all I can remember. That's why it's some times a good thing to have Zach posting here because he can set stuff like this straight.
 [/quote]
I'm sorry, I didn't mean to insult you in the original reply. I was saying that if it is the premiere, I would love a copy of it. I hope you are correct and I am wrong. Sorry for the misinterpretation.

And about ZH.... no comment on that. [/quote]
No need to apologize. I wasn't offended in the least :) At the risk of breaking one  of the rules of this board, I will guarantee you that if the episode is in fact the premiere, I will gladlly send you a copy.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2003, 07:01:22 AM by Card Shark »
Adam Strom

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
Trebek HR Query
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2003, 09:49:33 PM »
The beginning sequence says "It's 1978...It's the New High Rollers..." and that's about all I can remember.

I figured this was the issue. I'm not completely ruling out that you have the premiere, but this was the open for a good part of the run, and most importantly, the Gene Schnook eppy.

Now on the other hand, if he does have it... :)

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck