Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Larry Emdur co-hosts TPiR with Drew Carey  (Read 5323 times)

pownster

Larry Emdur co-hosts TPiR with Drew Carey
« on: July 22, 2011, 06:47:10 AM »
I've read in today's paper (Herald-Sun, Melbourne, Australia) that Larry Emdur (former host of "The Price Is Right" here in Australia) has helped co-host a round on the US version of the show, at the specific request of Drew Carey himself. I'm not sure whether the show has actually aired yet, or whether it has merely been recently recorded. Can anyone out there confirm this? Larry is currently in the US on assignment for a morning chat show he currently hosts here.
Chris Powney

Australian Game Show Home Page

http://members.iinet.net.au/~powney/gameshow/homepage.htm

DoItRockapella

« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2011, 09:05:24 AM »
Here's the story, and considering the picture I'm guessing it did happen. I have no idea when it will air (if it hasn't already).

JayDLewis

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2011, 09:22:48 AM »
It was taped this past week so I'm guessing it'll air in October or November.

Please let this be (or turn into) a "tryout" for Emdur 2012. (or Emdur 41)
QWIZX.com  -- A little bit of everything

tvmitch

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2011, 09:40:21 AM »
Emdur was a fantastic host for the format. Kept things moving, funny, very enjoyable. Knew how to properly build suspense for their convoluted-yet-awesome version of the Showcase, especially the episodes where they were giving away condos.
You should follow me on Twitter

Jeremy Nelson

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2011, 11:34:26 AM »
I have always really liked the idea of exposing American viewers to versions/ hosts of the same show from around the world, and the fact that it's Larry Emdur makes it that much better.

But this is even more surprising since Aussie Price has been off the air for about five years. They could have just as easily done the same thing with Marco Antonio Regil, who lives in LA, helms the Mexican Price, and speaks English very well. My best guess is Drew watched some Aussie Price on YouTube sometime in the offseason and recommended it, as I really can't see them having anyone in the same contact circle, even at Fremantle.

I'm holding out for an Aussie revamp of the show.
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2011, 01:19:41 PM »
Based on that story (and Chris, if you read something more detailed I'm happy to be corrected, but if you read something more detailed I don't see why they wouldn't co-opt it for more content on the site than just a picture), I'm gonna go ahead and suggest that "at the request of Drew Carey himself" is firmly in hyperbole territory.

After a firm application of Occam's Razor, here's my theory, and it has nothing to do with Carey sitting at home watching YouTube clips of foreign versions of his game show:

Larry's over here doing Morning Show stuff ('cuz if you're gonna come all the way to America you might as well bang out a few stories while you're here), and one of the stuffs is a walk-on thing for TPiR, because it's great morning show fodder and Mike Richards has never met a stunt he didn't like and therefore would be totally down with it. (And I feel safe in suggesting that Larry Emdur has a connection at Fremantle who can at least get Mikey to accept a phone call.)

Everything you read in that article was complete on-air theater. Larry walks out, Drew says "Hey, everybody, it's Larry Emdur from Australia who used to host this show down there!" Crowd applauds politely because a) the sign flashes and b) they have no idea who Larry Emdur is because nobody in this country knows who the hell has hosted this show outside of Barker and Carey. After some witty banter, Drew says "Hey, I have a great idea, why don't you help me host the next game?" Larry feigns complete shock even though all of this was planned out in great detail days before.

Really, folks, don't make this stuff more complicated than it is. From our side it's nothing more than Let's Do A Walk-On With A Foreign Guy Who Hosted This Show Where They Come From, and it doesn't matter if it's Larry Emdur, Marco-Antonio Regil, or Bruce Forsyth, because nobody in the US audience (outside of us geeks, pimple/ass/etc.) is going to recognize them. (Though in the latter case, it would be nice to see him, and to see him, nice.)
« Last Edit: July 22, 2011, 01:21:14 PM by clemon79 »
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

tvwxman

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2011, 06:57:30 PM »
Really, folks, don't make this stuff more complicated than it is. From our side it's nothing more than Let's Do A Walk-On With A Foreign Guy Who Hosted This Show Where They Come From, and it doesn't matter if it's Larry Emdur, Marco-Antonio Regil, or Bruce Forsyth, because nobody in the US audience (outside of us geeks, pimple/ass/etc.) is going to recognize them. (Though in the latter case, it would be nice to see him, and to see him, nice.)
Agreed, but somewhere, Marco-Antonio Regil is punching walls in his house for not being asked first. Wasn't he reallllllllllly desperate to be considered as Barker's replacement?
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

clemon79

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2011, 07:50:30 PM »
Agreed, but somewhere, Marco-Antonio Regil is punching walls in his house for not being asked first. Wasn't he reallllllllllly desperate to be considered as Barker's replacement?
I have absolutely no idea, but if he was, he was utterly deluded.

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2011, 08:10:27 PM »
I would have picked Don Francisco before Marco-Antonio.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

clemon79

« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2011, 08:38:21 PM »
As Barker's replacement? So would I. Which should tell you how strong a candidate I think Marco was. :)

Jeremy Nelson

« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2011, 10:03:44 PM »
As Barker's replacement? So would I. Which should tell you how strong a candidate I think Marco was. :)
Ummm...can someone fill me in? Marco probably wouldn't have been my top choice, but he seems like he'd be a more than competent host. Is the general consent that Marco Sucks, or Don Francisco is amazing, or both?
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.

clemon79

« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2011, 03:46:42 AM »
Ummm...can someone fill me in? Marco probably wouldn't have been my top choice, but he seems like he'd be a more than competent host. Is the general consent that Marco Sucks, or Don Francisco is amazing, or both?
No, my consensus (and mine alone) is simply that there was no way in fourteen purple hells that Marco-Antonio Regil was going to follow Barker as the new host of TPiR, no matter how good of a host he may or may not be, for the very basic reason that 99.999% of the U.S. population doesn't have the first damn clue as to who he is. No more, no less.

JayDLewis

« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2011, 09:34:42 AM »
Larry is interviewed on 2UE about hosting. Spoiler ahoy.

http://bit.ly/prMuBR
QWIZX.com  -- A little bit of everything