Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Odd game show parody in local commercial  (Read 12528 times)

snowpeck

Odd game show parody in local commercial
« on: July 21, 2011, 06:23:53 AM »
Caught an odd local commercial airing on my station this morning for a local furniture store ("Brown Squirrel Furniture".)  I honestly wasn't paying attention to the parody itself, other than noting that the acting was bad, but it included the WOF bonus round timer and the WinTuition theme.  Very strange.
Co-owner, The Daytime TV Schedule Archive
My website: http://www.gregbrobeck.net
My board game collection: http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/snowpeck (recently passed the 100 mark!)

vexer6

« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2011, 10:44:03 AM »
Interesting, that reminds me of those Old Navy commercials that parodied Family Feud.

Jamey Greek

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2011, 01:19:22 PM »
I wish I could see it on youtube

The Ol' Guy

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2011, 05:14:46 AM »
Brown Squirrel Furniture. That wouldn't happen to be next door to Tex and Edna Boil's Organ Emporium, would it?
(That's right, Edna!)

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2011, 09:16:00 AM »
Brown Squirrel Furniture. That wouldn't happen to be next door to Tex and Edna Boil's Organ Emporium, would it?
While "Brown Squirrel Furniture" probably sounds weird to outsiders, if you're from East Tennessee, it's something you don't even think twice about.

See also: "French Broad River"
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

Chelsea Thrasher

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2011, 09:38:01 AM »

toddyo

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2011, 10:41:51 AM »
You forgot to add the Wrong Answer buzzer from Family Feud on these spots. I hope they have a good attorney!

BrandonFG

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2011, 11:23:28 AM »
I'm guessing the WinTuition theme was stock music?
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2011, 11:28:52 AM »
(That's right, Edna!)

My goodness, I had forgotten that series of sketches.  Thanks for the refresher.
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

jalman

« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2011, 01:34:15 PM »
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9rlmBanMiDM[/media]

The Ol' Guy

« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2011, 01:35:41 PM »
I hear ya, brother Matt. God Bless ANY successful localized business. No snobbishness here. Don't know why Brown Squirrel Furniture struck an SCTV chord with me, but it did. Just as long as the new manager isn't Harry, the guy with the snake on his face.....  :-)

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2011, 01:58:24 PM »
I'm guessing the WinTuition theme was stock music?
TVPMM indicates a composer...but I guess that really doesn't answer the question.
--Mark
Phil 4:13

Twentington

• I just got to win / Spin the Wheel again
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2011, 04:07:54 PM »
I've always wondered 1.) where the "sleazy-voiced car salesman" stereotype of game show hosts came from (Martindale + Hall + Eubanks + a few scoops of comedic exaggeration is my only guess), and 2.) why people still use it so often. It reminds me of when people parody country music and it amounts to dressing like a cowboy, and singing in the most exaggerated, whiny twang possible about mama, dogs and trucks. Sure, they're identifiable parodies, but they're incredibly inaccurate — Eubanks was rarely slimy outside Newlywed, and there are maybe two dog songs and four truck songs in the entire genre.

/"You Never Even Called Me by My Name" doesn't count since it was done satirically
//and "Feed Jake" is more of a song about society
Bobby Peacock

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2011, 06:16:55 PM »
and there are maybe two dog songs and four truck songs in the entire genre.
There's plenty more songs than four about trucks (I'm sure this is just a partial list), and here's just one CD featuring 15 country songs related to dogs.

You fail, moreso than usual.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2011, 06:18:35 PM by Modor »
--Mark
Phil 4:13

Twentington

• I just got to win / Spin the Wheel again
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2011, 06:42:03 PM »
I think it's clear that my numbers were not meant literally. And I think it's a stretch to say a couple of those are "truck songs" — "Redneck Woman" and "What Was I Thinkin'" (to name two) mention trucks, but are not about them per se. "Pickup Man", on the other hand, is definitely a "truck song".

The point still stands that they aren't nearly as commonplace as people believe. (And as a longtime country music fan, I'm disgusted that people still bash the genre with such gross "hick" stereotypes.)
Bobby Peacock