Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Market-specific episodes  (Read 10236 times)

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
Market-specific episodes
« on: July 24, 2011, 04:32:32 PM »
I don't believe we've talked about another videoarchives1000 post, a special "Win, Lose or Draw" that aired in LA only, pitting on-air personalities of KRTH vs. those of KROQ. (Part 1 and Part 2) ObGameShowsWithinAGameShow: KRTH's Steve Morris hosted Jay Wolpert's 1987 pilot for "Trivial Pursuit."

There's a clip of another market-specific edition for Arizona elsewhere on the Tubes. Does anybody remember any others from their hometown? And did any other show do this? I remember Detroit radio personalities on Donnymid, but never saw the episode for myself, so I don't remember if it aired nationally or not.

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

Kevin Prather

Market-specific episodes
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2011, 04:35:21 PM »
There's a clip of another market-specific edition for Arizona elsewhere on the Tubes. Does anybody remember any others from their hometown? And did any other show do this? I remember Detroit radio personalities on Donnymid, but never saw the episode for myself, so I don't remember if it aired nationally or not.
Donnymid did this in Seattle as well, featuring Steve Pool and Kathy Goertzen of KOMO. IIRC, this episode preempted one of the Dick Clark episodes.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
Market-specific episodes
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2011, 04:43:44 PM »
I remember a local radio personality helping to win her partner the whopping sum of $600 on Pyramid, but I didn't remember the Steve/Kathi episode. I do, however remember an episode of Combs Feud where local Seattle TV news talent took on Seattle's radio personalities in a battle for supremacy in the 13th media market, as well as a $5,000 donation to Seattle's Children's Hospital, airing at the oh-so-accessible timeslot of 10:30p on a Wednesday.
Travis L. Eberle

Jimmy Owen

Market-specific episodes
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2011, 05:26:23 PM »
WJBK in Detroit aired a market-specific celebrity ep of "Joker's Wild" 90. Channel 2 weatherman David Rogers, Gil Hill (of Beverly Hills Cop fame) and the now-hated Denny McLain were the contestants. They were one of the few markets that ran TJW in prime access (at least at the start of the run).
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

Vahan_Nisanian

Market-specific episodes
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2011, 05:37:43 PM »
Regarding Market-specific episodes of game shows, were they just first-run syndicated ones that did this, or did daytime ones do them as well?

weaklink75

Market-specific episodes
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2011, 05:51:52 PM »
I know Win Lose or Draw did a Baltimore-centric ep with the news crew from the station where it aired there...

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
Market-specific episodes
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2011, 06:29:15 PM »
The syndicated Weakest Link did a New York radio DJ episode in season one- I don't know for sure if it was just aired here. (We were one of the single run markets for Link.)
« Last Edit: July 24, 2011, 06:29:55 PM by PYLdude »
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

WarioBarker

• Mind Wanderer
Market-specific episodes
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2011, 07:39:39 PM »
Win, Lose, Or Draw did an episode with WTVJ anchors (including long-stander Tony Segreto) playing against the Miami Dolphins in late 1988 for...some reason I can't fathom. The only clip I can find is a WTVJ report on the event, posted by "wolfsonarchive":

The Game Show Forum: beating the **** out of the competition since 2003.

I'm just a mind wanderer, walking in eternity...

1984Gameshowsfan

Market-specific episodes
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2011, 08:19:14 PM »
I remember a local radio personality helping to win her partner the whopping sum of $600 on Pyramid, but I didn't remember the Steve/Kathi episode. I do, however remember an episode of Combs Feud where local Seattle TV news talent took on Seattle's radio personalities in a battle for supremacy in the 13th media market, as well as a $5,000 donation to Seattle's Children's Hospital, airing at the oh-so-accessible timeslot of 10:30p on a Wednesday.

10:30 PM on a Wednesday? Dang, that sounds like a weird time to have one of those specials. I'm wondering something here though: did the time that it aired have anything to do with a sporting event?

From what i've seen in the time i've been around(26 years), sometimes those specials, whether they be game show, or health or whatever are scheduled the way they are(and especially back when Ray Combs Family Feud was airing originally) because there was a sporting event airing the same night(MLB Playoffs, Monday Night Football, local sports, etc.).

What i'm thinking is there probably was a AL or NLCS game, or a World Series game, or a Monday Night Football game airing at 5 PM, or 6 PM, or 7 PM and then possibly the Family Feud episode aired after the sporting event and before the 11 PM news, sort of like a special lead in or something.

From reading old newspaper listings, Family Feud's syndicated version aired on KOMO 4 back then, which makes it airing after sports a definite possibility. Question is: am I correct, or just crazy; also, out of pure curiousity Travis, would you happen to know who was on each team? I know the latter is probably unlikely, but I would like to know why it was aired at 10:30 PM on a Wednesday.

Although like I said, the only reason I can think of why this happened was that ABC had an Baseball playoff game(and considering Ray Combs syndicated Feud debuted in fall 1988, and ABC had MLB coverage up until 1989, after which CBS took over in 1990, all this is likely; and then following the baseball, instead of KOMO airing regular ABC programming, they more then likely aired the special Combs Feud episode).

Sorry about being so long winded with the explanation, I guess I tend to do that a lot. Although just by looking at this post, I can guess what I wrote is the reason why it aired at 10:30 PM on a Wednesday; or maybe not.

Jay Temple

Market-specific episodes
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2011, 09:06:37 PM »
There didn't need to be a sporting event. I'm quite accustomed to seeing network coverage pre-empted for special local programming. In fact, I recall just the opposite situation from the OP, where I missed a prime-time Feud special because of local programming.
Protecting idiots from themselves just leads to more idiots.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
Market-specific episodes
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2011, 09:21:21 PM »
10:30 PM on a Wednesday? Dang, that sounds like a weird time to have one of those specials. I'm wondering something here though: did the time that it aired have anything to do with a sporting event?
I remember that it was after my bedtime at the time, so it was ten or ten-thirty.

also, out of pure curiousity Travis, would you happen to know who was on each team? I know the latter is probably unlikely, but I would like to know why it was aired at 10:30 PM on a Wednesday.
The radio team had the two morning jocks on 96.5 KXRX (because that's how I knew about this; one of the people said "Hey, I'm on this show, please watch!") and three others, and the "Local Seattle TV" team was the anchor team on KOMO at the time (So probably you had Dan, Kathi, Steve Pool, Bruce King and someone else.)
Travis L. Eberle

golden-road

Market-specific episodes
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2011, 09:29:35 PM »
WJBK in Detroit aired a market-specific celebrity ep of "Joker's Wild" 90. Channel 2 weatherman David Rogers, Gil Hill (of Beverly Hills Cop fame) and the now-hated Denny McLain were the contestants. They were one of the few markets that ran TJW in prime access (at least at the start of the run).

I'm curious; any specific memories?

Jimmy Owen

Market-specific episodes
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2011, 09:41:54 PM »

I'm curious; any specific memories?
I have it on tape somewhere, I'll have to find it.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

vtown7

Market-specific episodes
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2011, 10:11:19 PM »
ISTR Syndie Weakest Link doing some radio DJ eps.  Can anyone confirm/deny?

R.

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
Market-specific episodes
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2011, 11:45:41 PM »
ISTR Syndie Weakest Link doing some radio DJ eps.  Can anyone confirm/deny?

R.

Previously mentioned in my post earlier in this thread so there was at least one.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022