Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Confirmation of 2nd Series for "Amazing Race Australia"  (Read 1449 times)

pownster

Confirmation of 2nd Series for "Amazing Race Australia"
« on: July 28, 2011, 03:17:59 AM »
Some fantastic news released today that the Seven Network have confirmed that they are commissioning a second series of the locally-produced "Amazing Race Australia", which will commence production later this year. The show has had solid ratings throughout its entire 1st season, against some very tough competition. Critics have also heaped great praise on the show for its high production values (which have matched and even exceeded those of the US version). Can't wait to see another 11 teams and Grant Bowler taking on the world again!
Chris Powney

Australian Game Show Home Page

http://members.iinet.net.au/~powney/gameshow/homepage.htm

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2011, 03:20:10 AM »
This is excellent news. I have been following along with the entire series, and for the most part I like what they've done. There were a few too many airport bunches and bottlenecks for my liking, but I also like that the route info tasks aren't just "move to your next location."
Travis L. Eberle

Brig Bother

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2011, 06:36:40 AM »
This is excellent news. I have been following along with the entire series, and for the most part I like what they've done. There were a few too many airport bunches and bottlenecks for my liking, but I also like that the route info tasks aren't just "move to your next location."

I'd suggest the bottlenecks are no worse than the US version (I'd suggest more concessions are made to teams that arrive somewhere closed first with ticketing) and the tasks quite a bit more interesting.

I think TARA makes a lot of good decisions generally - I liked that the kicking a team when they're down element (with the Yield, U-Turn and non-existant Speed Bumps) were kept to a minimum. I just don't see how they contribute to make things more exciting in a show that makes trying to avoid coming last a thrill.

However, they totally should have made the tough chinese lantern puzzle -> Pitstop leg the follow-up to a non-elimination leg and have the team that was marked for elimination sweating.

Edit: other things about TARA I have enjoyed - contestants who are likable and have a grasp of irony, and producers who didn't feel the need to spell everything out for the viewers. That's the one thing that gets me about US Reality shows - if something gets subtitled or they're shown saying something in an interview you can be 100% sure it will come back and bite them on the backside later. In The Amazing Race US, this will have an associated rasping sound and an onlooker looking exasperated. This doesn't happen on TARA, except on one hilarious incident with a Czech soldier which was purest comedy.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2011, 06:46:25 AM by Brig Bother »

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2011, 10:05:15 PM »
When it was revealed that a Fast Forward claiming team would have their advantage wiped out because of event timing, I was a bit put off. I think if you're going to have a prize that big, it should be meaningful. Otherwise, why bother to set it up, have a camera crew there and other planning?

By and large, the good far far outweighs the bad. There are many teams to root for, and even the ones I didn't care for weren't awful. Plus there's Grant Bowler, who is the perfect understatement in everything he does and says. I will happily grab TARA2, warts and all.
Travis L. Eberle