Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Hosts returning to their old shows full time after having previously b  (Read 6590 times)

Johnissoevil

One thing I've wondered recently while watching some Feud '94 episodes, have there been many occasions when the original host of a show would leave due to circumstances such as quitting/being let go or cancellation, then having someone replace them as full time host, only for the old host to return to their old job eventually?  The only three I can think of off the top of my head is Richard Dawson returning to Feud after Ray Combs had hosted it for a lengthy run, Bob Eubanks returning to the Newlywed Game after having handed the show off to Paul Rodriguez and later a revival with Gary Kroger, and Monty Hall re-assuming hosting duties on Let's Make a Deal in 1990 only months after Bob Hilton had been named host (albeit Monty was supposed to step down again once a replacement was to be found, which ultimately didn't come to pass due to cancellation).  Has this happened on any other occasion?
« Last Edit: August 04, 2011, 03:13:24 AM by Johnissoevil »
In loving memory of my father, Curtis Fenner 4/29/44-8/13/15

geno57

Hosts returning to their old shows full time after having previously b
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2011, 03:17:47 AM »
Remember when Sajak left WOF to do his talk show?  Apparently, he was welcomed back with open arms when the talker went boobs-up.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2011, 03:26:48 AM »
Remember when Sajak left WOF to do his talk show?  Apparently, he was welcomed back with open arms when the talker went boobs-up.
That's an odd circumstance, though, since he never stopped doing the syndicated version. I'd count it, but with an asterisk. :)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Steve Gavazzi

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2011, 03:28:56 AM »
That's an odd circumstance, though, since he never stopped doing the syndicated version. I'd count it, but with an asterisk. :)
I'm not even sure I'd do that.  Pat never came back to the daytime show, and he never left the nighttime show.

parliboy

• Which of my enemies told you I was paranoid?
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2011, 03:35:37 AM »
I would have to asterisk Monty Hall as well. Remember that it was his production company. If he wanted to host from the beginning, he would have hosted from the beginning. OTOH, Bob Clayton's replacement and subsequent "de-replacement" are documented in Norm Blumenthal's book.
"You're never ready, just less unprepared."

Kevin Prather

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2011, 03:37:15 AM »
Wanna count Reege hosting Super Millionaire or the 10th anniversary special? Or guest hosting that one week of Syndie Millionaire?

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2011, 04:07:31 AM »
Actually, Ron Greenberg and Dick Clark were behind LMAD '90 and Monty was only advising them IIRC- I don't think you can really asterisk that.

Now where Regis is concerned, the Super and Tenth Anniversary editions of Millionaire I see as revivals of the original network series, so to me neither one would count. You could technically place the asterisk on him for hosting the current syndicated series even though it's really a separate series.

(Before anybody says anything- I understand in cases like Millionaire and Deal or no Deal you can say it's the same game- which it is. It's how the games are conducted as to why I would consider them to be separate from each other- no fastest finger, no models on cases plus wheel used for contestant selection, etc.)
« Last Edit: August 04, 2011, 06:06:23 AM by PYLdude »
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2011, 06:33:05 AM »
Geoff Edwards did the NBC run of Jackpot!  When it became a USA cable show, Mike Darrow was the host for its run.  When the show went syndicated, Geoff returned as host.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

gamed121683

« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2011, 08:21:54 AM »
How about Richard Dawson coming back to Family Feud in '94 after a 9 year absence?
« Last Edit: August 04, 2011, 08:22:08 AM by gamed121683 »

BrandonFG

« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2011, 09:15:40 AM »
How about Richard Dawson coming back to Family Feud in '94 after a 9 year absence?
That's the initial example that sparked this whole thread. :-)
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

Vahan_Nisanian

« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2011, 10:52:14 AM »
Geoff Edwards did the NBC run of Jackpot!  When it became a USA cable show, Mike Darrow was the host for its run.  When the show went syndicated, Geoff returned as host.

And the change was not for the better at all. It seemed that Mike Darrow was hired only because he looked pretty on camera, nothing more. I remember someone who attended a taping of The $128,000 Question with him hosting say that he got caught in the curtains when he made his entrance, and therefore, the crew had to stop tape. That's not a good sign when a game show host doesn't know how to make an entrance.

And when he hosted Jackpot!, more often than not, he got the wallet colors wrong (something Geoff Edwards never did).
« Last Edit: August 04, 2011, 11:01:39 AM by gameshowlover87 »

clemon79

« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2011, 11:20:08 AM »
I'm not even sure I'd do that.  Pat never came back to the daytime show, and he never left the nighttime show.
My history is decidedly fuzzy to this end...when the show went back to NBC towards the end of the daytime run, did Goen go with it?

If so, then, yes, you're absolutely right, Sajak doesn't count at all.

clemon79

« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2011, 11:22:25 AM »
And the change was not for the better at all. It seemed that Mike Darrow was hired only because he looked pretty on camera, nothing more.
I'm (only slightly) stunned, as I can't think of one single thing to support Darrow being anything but perfectly capable.

(And considering they taped in Toronto at the time, I'm guessing the fact that he was Canadian didn't exactly hurt.)

And when he hosted Jackpot!, more often than not, he got the wallet colors wrong (something Geoff Edwards never did).
Especially this. "More often than not?" Proof or Not Real.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2011, 11:23:17 AM by clemon79 »

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2011, 11:28:34 AM »
My history is decidedly fuzzy to this end...when the show went back to NBC towards the end of the daytime run, did Goen go with it?
Yes.
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

Johnissoevil

« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2011, 01:17:25 PM »

This counts, to me.  Good example. :-)
In loving memory of my father, Curtis Fenner 4/29/44-8/13/15