Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: '70's Pyramid  (Read 3207 times)

Jimmy Owen

'70's Pyramid
« on: August 05, 2011, 09:02:47 AM »
Let me preface this by saying Bill Cullen is my favorite host of all time and I'm glad he did it, but I wonder why Dick Clark wasn't tapped to do the 74-79 version of $25,000 Pyramid?  There didn't seem to be any conflicts that would prevent Dick from hosting.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

aaron sica

'70's Pyramid
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2011, 09:33:52 AM »
Let me preface this by saying Bill Cullen is my favorite host of all time and I'm glad he did it, but I wonder why Dick Clark wasn't tapped to do the 74-79 version of $25,000 Pyramid?  There didn't seem to be any conflicts that would prevent Dick from hosting.

Here's what I'm thinking: Dick Clark wasn't really the "Face of the Pyramid" in '74. He was more known for Bandstand than anything at this point, and Bill Cullen had quite a few shows under his belt by '74. I'm thinking they wanted to go with a "big name" for the syndication run. By 1981, and 1985 of course, Dick had established himself with Pyramid so it made sense for him to handle the reins of $50K and $100K.

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
'70's Pyramid
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2011, 04:23:35 PM »
Let me preface this by saying Bill Cullen is my favorite host of all time and I'm glad he did it, but I wonder why Dick Clark wasn't tapped to do the 74-79 version of $25,000 Pyramid?  There didn't seem to be any conflicts that would prevent Dick from hosting
Was ABC considered the 'parent network' for the syndie version too, or did it air mainly on CBS/NBC affiliates?  

(If the later scenario was the case, perhaps ABC nixed it).  Also, while Cullen was a seasoned host by this time, I really don't think he's a "big name".  Just my opinion.
--Mark
Phil 4:13

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
'70's Pyramid
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2011, 04:30:10 PM »
Also, while Cullen was a seasoned host by this time, I really don't think he's a "big name".  Just my opinion.
Within the industry, by this point, absolutely he was a big name.

Your opinion, I suspect, is tainted by your overall opinion of Cullen. Which you have every right to.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

alfonzos

'70's Pyramid
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2011, 05:03:21 PM »
Dick Clark has a production company, a family, and he's a commercial spokesman. Perhaps his plate was full.
A Cliff Saber Production
email address: alfonzos@aol.com
Boardgame Geek user name: alfonzos

JakeT

'70's Pyramid
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2011, 06:34:27 PM »
Also, while Cullen was a seasoned host by this time, I really don't think he's a "big name".  Just my opinion.
Within the industry, by this point, absolutely he was a big name.

Really?  Seriously?  Oh, c'mon...you're pulling my leg, right?

You don't think Bill Cullen was considered a "big name" in the world of game shows in 1974?  Not only would I believe him to be considered a "big name" by many/most, very few other hosts were at his level and I can think of only a very small number of hosts who might have been considered "bigger" than Bill Cullen in 1974.  

And, for what its worth, just for the sake of arguement, let's say he wasn't considered a "big name" by the industry or even the viewing public at that time.  However, to one man in particular, I think it is safe to say that Bill Cullen wasn't just a "big name" in his mind but was, whenever possible, the ONE name that always topped his list of go-to game show hosts.  That man, of course, was Bob Stewart.  I'm only guessing here but I suspect that if Cullen wasn't already committed to another network daytime game show in March 1973 (NBC's THREE ON A MATCH), he would have been Stewart's choice to host the CBS daytime version of "THE $10,000 PYRAMID" rather than Dick Clark.  

Don't get me wrong...Dick Clark RULED throughout all his years of hosting the various PYRAMID incarnations and I can't imagine the show without him.  I just think he was a very fortunate man due to Uncle Bill Cullen being unavailable at just the right time.

JakeT

The Pyramids

'70's Pyramid
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2011, 06:35:05 PM »
Dick Clark has a production company, a family, and he's a commercial spokesman. Perhaps his plate was full.

That sounds the most plausible to me.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
'70's Pyramid
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2011, 09:30:19 PM »
He had hosted one of the top-rated game shows in daytime and nighttime, aside from a shedload of other jobs. What more do you want?
Travis L. Eberle

parliboy

• Which of my enemies told you I was paranoid?
'70's Pyramid
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2011, 10:56:29 PM »
I suspect that Modor grew up in a cable era. He is not from a time when many markets had only three or four viewing options -- a time where a person known primarily for game shows could be considered a big name.
"You're never ready, just less unprepared."

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
'70's Pyramid
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2011, 11:04:59 PM »
I suspect that Modor grew up in a cable era. He is not from a time when many markets had only three or four viewing options -- a time where a person known primarily for game shows could be considered a big name.
So did I. I was born in 1980 and really didn't get cable until 1987 or 1988. I was able to not only deal with the network monoliths of the day, but I also understand that there's a reason companies came back to Bill time and again.
Travis L. Eberle

wdm1219inpenna

'70's Pyramid
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2011, 04:51:13 PM »
Is it possible that when Cullen's version taped, it conflicted with Clark's Bandstand schedule?  Another possibility might be they simply wanted somebody different to be associated with the night time version vs. the daytime version.  Not sure...I still miss Bill Cullen, and I feel so badly for Dick Clark with the stroke he suffered.  Makes me sad and wistful.  Now Jerry Lewis has hung it up too no longer doing the MDA telethon.

calliaume

'70's Pyramid
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2011, 10:14:51 PM »
And, for what its worth, just for the sake of arguement, let's say he wasn't considered a "big name" by the industry or even the viewing public at that time.  However, to one man in particular, I think it is safe to say that Bill Cullen wasn't just a "big name" in his mind but was, whenever possible, the ONE name that always topped his list of go-to game show hosts.  That man, of course, was Bob Stewart.  I'm only guessing here but I suspect that if Cullen wasn't already committed to another network daytime game show in March 1973 (NBC's THREE ON A MATCH), he would have been Stewart's choice to host the CBS daytime version of "THE $10,000 PYRAMID" rather than Dick Clark.  
This was always my theory -- it seems to me whenever Cullen was available, he hosted Bob Stewart shows.