Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: has anyone used the "Classroom Jeopardy!" program?  (Read 3671 times)

JepMasta

has anyone used the "Classroom Jeopardy!" program?
« on: August 13, 2011, 09:30:51 PM »
Greeting gentle viewers.  I bought a Original Classroom Jeopardy! unit on ebay a few days ago, for a personal project, and I was wondering if you guys could help me.

Has anyone used this particular program?  If so, is it any good?  Also, I know that the Daily Doubles are picked at random in the games, but I read somewhere once that you can "force" a Daily Double in a game.

Thank you for your help in advance

Brian~

visualbasicwizard

« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2011, 12:40:50 PM »
I have used it before in at a game show night I helped out at a friend's church last year.  It is a pretty cool device, and it's easy enough to control; just like using a video game system.  It's even forgiving you screw up.  All we needed was the lecturns, and it would have been like realy being on the show.

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2011, 04:21:12 PM »
Forcing a Daily Double was not a feature of the original version.

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

JepMasta

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2011, 06:30:50 PM »
Oh.  Well that's still alright.  It's better than trying to figure out a powerpoint and buying a box to project it on a tv.

Joe Mello

• has hit the time release button
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2011, 07:26:42 PM »
Oh.  Well that's still alright.  It's better than trying to figure out a powerpoint and buying a box to project it on a tv.
Maybe I'm lucky because I have S-Video out, but I can connect my laptop to any tv with just some cords...
This signature is currently under construction.

JepMasta

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2011, 08:33:09 PM »
true, but having to operate a keyboard and look at my answer sheet at the same time can be a pain

Hastin

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2011, 12:59:16 PM »
true, but having to operate a keyboard and look at my answer sheet at the same time can be a pain

With the original CJ!, you'll be using both an answer sheet and the host remote. Also, the original CJ! doesn't feature the 'fraction of a second' lockout like the real show - new CJ! does have that.
-Hastin :)

JepMasta

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2011, 07:22:28 PM »
That's true Hastin - and please don't take this the wrong way - But I don't have $500 to spend on a new CJ! setup

When you get get one on ebay for $55 - and that INCLUDES shipping, I jump all over that stuff :-)

By the by, I got it today, it works GREAT!  I can't wait to use it come this december.

Joe Mello

• has hit the time release button
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2011, 08:01:07 PM »
When you get get one on ebay for $55 - and that INCLUDES shipping, I jump all over that stuff :-)
I'll second that.
This signature is currently under construction.

Hastin

« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2011, 12:11:13 AM »

A massive +1 to that. Great price! :)

bwood

« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2011, 12:30:35 PM »
You got a great deal! I bought mine in early 2006 for a little over $100 (which was a good deal then). If you can swing it, I recommend picking up the Classroom Jeopardy Link (if you haven't all ready), it saves all of the grueling work of typing it in on your TV. You can just type it on your PC and transfer it directly to your cartridge. They used to be $99.99 on the Educational Insights site, but, just like the other old CJ items on there, they are being clearanced out (Thanks to MikeK for giving the heads up!). I've gotten tons of use out of mine, it is a great tool.

EDIT: I just remembered my version is the short-lived "Host Your Own Jeopardy!" version of CJ. Hopefully the Link I ordered a few days ago still works with this version (I assume it does).
« Last Edit: August 21, 2011, 01:57:39 PM by bwood »

Hastin

« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2011, 01:00:47 PM »
EDIT: I just remembered my version is the short-lived "Host Your Own Jeopardy!" version of CJ. Hopefully the Link I ordered a few days ago still works with this version (I assume it does).

Exact same hardware, different box branding. The "host your own" was sold in retail stores.

bwood

« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2011, 01:01:57 PM »

Exact same hardware, different box branding. The "host your own" was sold in retail stores.

Sweet. That's what I figured. Thanks!

MikeK

• Martha!
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2011, 01:13:51 PM »
They used to be $99.99 on the Educational Insights site, but, just like the other old CJ items on there, they are being clearanced out (Thanks to MikeK for giving the heads up!). I've gotten tons of use out of mine, it is a great tool.
Thanks for the hat tip.  Now that I'm among the employed in the education field for at least 6 weeks and my new school has a metric buttload of technology, I might drop a few bucks on Classroom Jeopardy!

For those with Classroom Jeopardy! (preferably the original), how does it handle high school math problems?  I assume it can handle lower level equations easily.  Can it handle powers, symbols (pi), graphing, etc.?  Jeopardy! with word problems is not fun for the students, and is no fun for the teacher who would have to input them.

bwood

« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2011, 01:56:09 PM »
Without dragging it all the way out, I'm not 100% sure but mine (original) says this in the manual:

"Other symbols such as (cents) and (pi) can also be created. To see a list of these symbols and the keys you need to produce them, press F12. The symbols and corresponding keys will appear on screen."

If nobody else knows the detailed answer straight off I will get mine out and look at it. I just have the manual right here in my filing cabinet. I seem to recall activating that symbol menu one time and there were quite a few. I'm not sure about powers unless you just did like 2^5 or something like that. Wonder if the software/link could preform those tasks better? It would def. be easier on the person inputting the info. Would have to check it out when I get the Link from E-I. The original is pretty basic so I don't see it handling any kind of graphing.