Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: N.O. It Alls  (Read 4112 times)

gamed121683

N.O. It Alls
« on: August 17, 2011, 05:35:33 PM »
I'm trying to find some YouTube vids or any info. about how the New Orleans produced game N.O. It Alls was played. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to find anything online. Anyone here know of some info. or leads?
« Last Edit: August 17, 2011, 07:09:16 PM by gamed121683 »

Thunder

N.O. It Alls
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2011, 12:20:23 AM »
Wow.

I saw an episode of this on WGNO when I worked in New Orleans. My memory may be a bit fuzzy (due to time passed and copious amounts of NOLA beverages)

They had two players and object of the game was to win 4 squares in a row on a 4X4 grid. The categories were on the left side of the grid, and the call letters W G N O. The player would call for a category and a letter ("Things on Elysian Fields under the "N"), and the host would ask a question. First player to buzz in won the square and they would put a photo of the player on the square to mark who got it. 4 of your faces in a row won the game.

parliboy

• Which of my enemies told you I was paranoid?
N.O. It Alls
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2011, 01:40:52 AM »
So, bastard child of Facts in Five and Blockbusters?
"You're never ready, just less unprepared."

toddyo

N.O. It Alls
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2011, 10:23:32 AM »
We had a show like this in Cincinnati (WCPO-TV)  Know-It-Alls. Mid to late 90's?

Matt Ottinger

N.O. It Alls
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2011, 11:09:15 AM »
We had a show like this in Cincinnati (WCPO-TV)  Know-It-Alls. Mid to late 90's?
Yeah, there was an effort to franchise the New Orleans program into other markets, each unique and local.  Atlanta had a version, and one of our own worked on it.  I saw an episode of that version, and Thunder's vague recollection matches mine.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

BrandonFG

N.O. It Alls
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2011, 11:11:46 AM »
I did some Googling last night and if Wiki is to be believed, the late NBC executive Brandon Tartikoff developed the format for local stations...
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

Matt Ottinger

N.O. It Alls
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2011, 11:30:03 AM »
I did some Googling last night and if Wiki is to be believed, the late NBC executive Brandon Tartikoff developed the format for local stations...
About that, anyway, Wiki can be believed.  It was a major selling point back when this was being pitched to stations.

gamed121683

N.O. It Alls
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2011, 01:54:50 PM »
About that, anyway, Wiki can be believed.  It was a major selling point back when this was being pitched to stations.

I do remember reading that part while looking up some info. on my own. I could see how that was a big selling point. "If this guy can save NBC from the dead, he must have a golden touch in producing, too!" I wonder how many stations bought into that pitch? Anyway, I remember an episode of it on YouTube sometime back, but I believe the vid got pulled. Then again, it could be just my imagination.

/♪ Running away with me... ♪

brianhenke

N.O. It Alls
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2011, 05:15:11 PM »

1997 to 2000.

Brian
The leaves start to change color in May?

Jamey Greek

N.O. It Alls
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2011, 07:16:53 PM »
Yeah, there was an effort to franchise the New Orleans program into other markets, each unique and local.  Atlanta had a version, and one of our own worked on it.  I saw an episode of that version, and Thunder's vague recollection matches mine.

What channel was Atlanta's version on?

Matt Ottinger

N.O. It Alls
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2011, 10:07:09 AM »
Pretty sure it was WAGA (5)

davidhammett

N.O. It Alls
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2011, 10:44:00 AM »
Pretty sure it was WAGA (5)
Yup.  That's Atlanta ran for one season, 1996-97, on Atlanta's Fox affiliate.  John Kukla (who is now with Dallas' Fox affiliate) had done his own radio quiz show at the University of Georgia in the early 80's called "The Know-It-Alls," and that was enough to make him decide not to use that title for Tartikoff's version.  He got permission for the name change, and for a format change as well -- there was no box connecting, just different kinds of Q&A rounds with categories and such.  The endgame did involve the station's call letters, albeit a bit awkwardly -- each answer began with a W, an A, a G... or an A.

This was the first game show I ever worked on; I was the contestant coordinator.  I'll always be grateful to John for that first opportunity to get my feet wet in game show production.

Allstar87

N.O. It Alls
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2011, 01:03:23 AM »
Anyway, I remember an episode of it on YouTube sometime back, but I believe the vid got pulled. Then again, it could be just my imagination.

You are indeed correct. Posted here about a year ago, removed by the user since.

However, I did download the episode before it went down. I suppose I could reupload it, if anyone would like to see it again.

gamed121683

N.O. It Alls
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2011, 12:50:32 PM »
Anyway, I remember an episode of it on YouTube sometime back, but I believe the vid got pulled. Then again, it could be just my imagination.

You are indeed correct. Posted here about a year ago, removed by the user since.

However, I did download the episode before it went down. I suppose I could reupload it, if anyone would like to see it again.

Call me crazy, but you got my vote!

MyronMMeyer

N.O. It Alls
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2011, 12:59:18 PM »
Call me crazy...

You're crazy!

(Ben Stein, is that you?)

-M