Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Set changes  (Read 9360 times)

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
Set changes
« Reply #30 on: August 20, 2011, 07:56:24 PM »
We weren't a hit but the ratings were adequate.

Considering you had two time slot shifts in the first seven months (12:30 ET to 12N in March and back to 12:30 in August), that's actually pretty good.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2011, 07:56:45 PM by SRIV94 »
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

Twentington

• I just got to win / Spin the Wheel again
Set changes
« Reply #31 on: August 20, 2011, 08:52:45 PM »
How do producers decide to make set changes, anyway?  I can understand wanting to redo your whole set every few years, but some things, like the strip in front of Contestants' Row or making the orange display yellow, just make me wonder, "Why did anybody even bother thinking of that?"

Same thing I wondered with Wheel's "soft drink machine". You never saw it except during the occasional pan of the set, or in the intro. Ditto the weird scoreboards for the first week of S25. No one realized that the names were way, way, WAY too small to be seen on most TVs?
Bobby Peacock

RMF

Set changes
« Reply #32 on: August 20, 2011, 09:52:51 PM »
//Vivienne Nearing, James Snodgrass and Elfrida Von Nardroff: I'll get back to you on that.

Nearing died in 2007:

http://articles.latimes.com/2007/jul/16/local/me-passings16.1

Von Nardroff isn't in the SSDI (so presume alive without other evidence), and I'm not sure about Snodgrass either way.

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
Set changes
« Reply #33 on: August 21, 2011, 12:02:56 AM »
//Vivienne Nearing, James Snodgrass and Elfrida Von Nardroff: I'll get back to you on that.

Nearing died in 2007:

http://articles.latimes.com/2007/jul/16/local/me-passings16.1

Von Nardroff isn't in the SSDI (so presume alive without other evidence), and I'm not sure about Snodgrass either way.
How ironic that, as a lawyer, she was convicted of perjury.

whewfan

Set changes
« Reply #34 on: August 21, 2011, 06:12:33 AM »
I was going to start a new thread, but since the PW+ Alphabetics board was discussed, I guess it's relevant to the topic...

How about set changes (minor or major) made to a set or prop shortly after making its debut on TV...

TPIR
The Bonus Game windows were yellow for the first week, then blue the following week.

The turntable added lights and extra stripes only after 6 or 7 shows (I forget how many exactly, someone posted it)

The bucket in Push Over was changed from red to yellow once it was discovered it blended in with the red on the turntable at the time.

The lights in Cover Up were changed from red to blue

The lights in It's In the Bag were changed from yellow to blue

First playing or so of Clearance Sale, the tags were white with red numbers, then changed to red with white numbers.

An eggcrate display was added to Time is Money to indicate how many the contestant got WRONG (why they didn't tell the player how many they got RIGHT, I dunno, one of the many reasons the game was axed)

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
Set changes
« Reply #35 on: August 21, 2011, 06:14:36 AM »
(why they didn't tell the player how many they got RIGHT, I dunno, one of the many reasons the game was axed)
Golden Road seems to indicate this is not true.
--Mark
Phil 4:13

BrandonFG

Set changes
« Reply #36 on: August 21, 2011, 09:05:03 AM »
I didn't realize this until I saw it on GSN, but for the first half-season of Eubanks's Card Sharks, the red Ace backdrops tilted for the Money Cards, then returned to their upright position for the main game.

Could be moot since the entire set got an overhaul the following season, but in late-2001, Hollywood Squares introduced their 60-second bonus round, and placed a platform and clear stand in front of the big grid. The setup was gone (along with Whoopi) the following year.

Donnymid added scoreboards to the two team desks about midway through the first season.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2011, 09:05:34 AM by fostergray82 »
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

Jeremy Nelson

Set changes
« Reply #37 on: August 21, 2011, 10:55:30 AM »
Classic Concentration and the not-so-temporary palm trees. After, that, they started adding all kinds of foliage and whatnot to the set- I still prefer the pre-palm tree set to this day.
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.

That Don Guy

Set changes
« Reply #38 on: August 21, 2011, 01:26:05 PM »
When Match Game switched to the newer logo in 1978, weren't the celebrity podiums one color for a brief period, and then switched to another?

whewfan

Set changes
« Reply #39 on: August 21, 2011, 06:32:21 PM »
Yes. The backdrop behind the lower tier was dark blue. However the backdrop behind the players was light blue and was solid instead of ridged. The player's score indicators were white instead of green and red. The following week the lower tier was painted light blue to match the player area, and the triangle and circle were painted green and red respectably.

Stevek83

Set changes
« Reply #40 on: August 21, 2011, 11:44:35 PM »
During the first week(s) of John O'Hurleys first season on "Feud" there were no scoreboards on the families' podiums.