Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Set changes  (Read 9380 times)

Twentington

• I just got to win / Spin the Wheel again
Set changes
« on: August 19, 2011, 04:51:11 PM »
A show changes its set, but the change doesn't stick long. I've seen it happen a few times:

* Wheel of Fortune: For the first week of Season 22, they had a cylindrical whatchamacallit next to the blue contestant, which Pat jokingly called a "soft drink machine". It was only there for the first week of taping, IIRC.

* And then again in Season 25, there were the weird scoreboards with the contestants' names on them, which also lasted for only the first week of taping.

* How long was the P+ Alphabetics board suspended from a ceiling instead of in a cabinet? I seem to recall it wasn't very long.

* TPIR's purple wheel, of course.

Any others?
Bobby Peacock

Vahan_Nisanian

Set changes
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2011, 08:17:02 PM »
I remember on $25K Pyramid in 1987 with Betty White and Bill Cullen and on $100K Pyramid with Leann Hunley and Terry Lester, they had the microphones for the front desk and the winner's circle changed to small silver goose-necked ones, or something like that. Apparently, those two weeks were taped at the exact same time, but aired two months apart from each other.

J.R.

Set changes
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2011, 09:19:40 PM »
How long did that dark blue $25,000 sign last?
-Joe Raygor

Bobby B.

Set changes
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2011, 10:10:48 PM »
The Pyramid logo on Dick's podium with the pointy top didn't last long, did it?

BrandonFG

Set changes
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2011, 11:49:06 PM »
Twentington: I believe the Alphabetics board was gone by the spring of 1979.
Joe: I think it lasted the entire 1987-88 season.
Bobby: I don't even think a month...it was right after it became "The NEW $25,000 Pyramid", c. November 1982. They flattened the top by the end of the year.

Match Game 98 changed to the more "festive" set after about a month or so.
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

Kevin Prather

Set changes
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2011, 11:49:45 PM »
Eh?

Eh?
« Last Edit: August 19, 2011, 11:49:54 PM by Kevin Prather »

BrandonFG

Set changes
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2011, 12:18:12 AM »
Eh?
If Joe's talking about what I think he is, it's down on Brad Francini's page. Scroll down to September 1987.

Eh?
When the 80s version became "The New $25,000 Pyramid", the logo on Dick's podium changed from a flattop pyramid to a pointy triangle.
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

Steve Gavazzi

Set changes
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2011, 12:46:09 AM »
When the color scheme for this wall behind Mystery Price was first introduced on TPIR, the red stripe was not present.  The wall only appeared that way for four days -- one set of tapings.

Sometime early last decade, there was a pink strip across the floor at the base of Contestants' Row for one episode.

When the Hollywood mural was replaced by the pastel Turntable walls, a gigantic yellow circle was stuck behind Clock Game because the chroma key effect used to show the contestant on the board was also keying out part of the wall.  It only lasted for two shows before they painted the board and started keying out green instead of blue.

For a few months in 1992, 3 Strikes had white strike chips with red Xs.

For a couple months in Season 28, a cover was placed over the chase lights on Push Over that made them look really weird when they were chasing and like a solid, strangely-angled bulb when they weren't.  It showed up on a couple random episodes the next winter, too.

How do producers decide to make set changes, anyway?  I can understand wanting to redo your whole set every few years, but some things, like the strip in front of Contestants' Row or making the orange display yellow, just make me wonder, "Why did anybody even bother thinking of that?"

J.R.

Set changes
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2011, 01:14:26 AM »
If Joe's talking about what I think he is, it's down on Brad Francini's page. Scroll down to September 1987.
Oh, I should've been more clear. I meant the big $25,000 sign on Pyramid. It started dark blue when it began.

Since everyone was talking $25,000 Pyramid, I didn't explain it fully. My mistake.
-Joe Raygor

Vahan_Nisanian

Set changes
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2011, 01:24:27 AM »
It was also dark blue during a week of Betty White & Joel Brooks episodes in 1985 on the daytime edition, and a week of Vicki Lawrence & Brian Mitchell episodes for the syndicated version (premiere week of syndicated edition) in the same years. Both week could very well have been taped at the exact same time.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2011, 01:26:40 AM by gameshowlover87 »

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
Set changes
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2011, 05:12:41 AM »
How long was the P+ Alphabetics board suspended from the ceiling instead of in a cabinet? I seem to recall it wasn't very long.
26 weeks. A decision was made not to build the bigger edifice until we had been picked up for a second 26-week cycle. Whether the debut of the board synchronized with the start of our second cycle (show #131) is a subject for the historians among us.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2011, 05:22:25 AM by chris319 »

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
Set changes
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2011, 05:20:04 AM »
A TPiR change I remember is when they had white curtains with colored lights for one week around '98 because someone left the lights on over the weekend.  I thought it was too bad they never use them again; they looked rather classy IMO.
--Mark
Phil 4:13

mmb5

Set changes
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2011, 09:52:24 AM »
It was also dark blue during a week of Betty White & Joel Brooks episodes in 1985 on the daytime edition, and a week of Vicki Lawrence & Brian Mitchell episodes for the syndicated version (premiere week of syndicated edition) in the same years. Both week could very well have been taped at the exact same time.
That's a minor miracle of television to produce two shows at the same time in the same studio with the same host.  Consecutively maybe, but not at the same time.
Portions of this post not affecting the outcome have been edited or recreated.

Matt Ottinger

Set changes
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2011, 09:59:39 AM »
That's a minor miracle of television to produce two shows at the same time in the same studio with the same host.  Consecutively maybe, but not at the same time.
News, traffic and weather together.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

Vahan_Nisanian

Set changes
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2011, 10:56:48 AM »
How long was the P+ Alphabetics board suspended from the ceiling instead of in a cabinet? I seem to recall it wasn't very long.
26 weeks. A decision was made not to build the bigger edifice until we had been picked up for a second 26-week cycle. Whether the debut of the board synchronized with the start of our second cycle (show #131) is a subject for the historians among us.

Actually, the Alphabetics cabinet began on show #036. It's okay though, Chris. Not all of us can remember every bit of detail as we get older.