Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Set changes  (Read 9362 times)

MikeK

• Martha!
Set changes
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2011, 11:17:30 AM »
Actually, the Alphabetics cabinet began on show #036. It's okay though, Chris. Not all of us can remember every bit of detail as we get older.
Why, thank you Zach.  And saying it in such a tactful manner to someone with the power to send you to the land of bannination.

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
Set changes
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2011, 11:20:01 AM »
How long was the P+ Alphabetics board suspended from the ceiling instead of in a cabinet? I seem to recall it wasn't very long.
26 weeks. A decision was made not to build the bigger edifice until we had been picked up for a second 26-week cycle. Whether the debut of the board synchronized with the start of our second cycle (show #131) is a subject for the historians among us.

Actually, the Alphabetics cabinet began on show #036. It's okay though, Chris. Not all of us can remember every bit of detail as we get older.
You would know better than I. I was involved in the discussions involving Mike Brockman of NBC, Howard Felsher, Bobby Sherman, Mark Bowerman and Ted Cooper about the new Alphabetics board. I was there when Mr. Goodson came to the studio to see it and remember his reaction to it. I sat behind George Choderker in the booth when we had to devote extra studio time to changing the camera blocking. But you would know better than I, clearly. BTW, on that first day in the studio with the new Alphabetics board, what did we have for lunch and in which rehearsal room? I confess, my memory is quite dim on this matter but I'm sure you know the answer.

It's okay though, Chris. Not all of us can remember every bit of detail as we get older.
Would you care to address that same remark to Mr. Blumenthal? He has a couple of years on me so by your reasoning his recollections of Concentration are just as flawed or more so as mine are of Password Plus.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2011, 11:42:52 AM by chris319 »

Joe Mello

• has hit the time release button
Set changes
« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2011, 11:57:48 AM »
Can you recall approximately when you got the green light for the 2nd block of shows?

/Testing the theory that both of you are right.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2011, 11:58:22 AM by Joe Mello »
This signature is currently under construction.

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
Set changes
« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2011, 11:59:02 AM »
Can you recall approximately when you got the green light for the 2nd block of shows?

/Testing the theory that both of you are right.
I'm sure gameshowlover87 can.

chad1m

Set changes
« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2011, 12:00:39 PM »
It might not have been the exact time gameshowlover87 cited, but it certainly wasn't 26 weeks in. This clip is from week eight and has the Alphabetics board tucked in neatly on the left side.

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
Set changes
« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2011, 01:21:23 PM »
It might not have been the exact time gameshowlover87 cited, but it certainly wasn't 26 weeks in. This clip is from week eight and has the Alphabetics board tucked in neatly on the left side.
That comports with my records of show numbers and air dates, so he's right about it being show #36 which aired on 2/26/79. That show would have been taped at least a week in advance (2/17 - 2/18 or earlier) so construction of the new board would have begun maybe two weeks prior to that, which puts us in early February, or about four weeks into the run. In hindsight that seems awfully early, and there was indeed discussion about not building a new board until we knew we would be on for more than one 26-week cycle. Of course it's been over 30 years since we taped those shows at the ABC Prospect studios. I forget the production company, was it Hill-Eubanks or William T. Naud? You know, my early Alzheimer's just isn't getting any better. I'll have to drown my misery with another swig of Geritol, if I can remember where I put the bottle.

Does anyone remember the taping date that our emcee, Bobby Van, had the stage carpenters modify the podium so it wouldn't poke him in the abdomen? They came out and sawed the corners off; that much I remember. It was between shows -- anybody remember which episodes? I remember Bobby bringing his wife Elaine Joyce to the studio with him even if Elaine wasn't booked as a guest. She sometimes used to bring her mother Bess with her.

I found the Geritol, time for another belt.

BTW, we had chicken the day we taped show #36. The Geritol jogged my memory. Must be all that iron. Say, does the ethanol in Geritol have any health benefits?

tpirfan28

Set changes
« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2011, 02:50:13 PM »
What is deemed short?  80s Pyramid changed the coverings on the host podium and desks into that 13 week return they had.

Say, does the ethanol in Geritol have any health benefits?
Ask Herb Stempel.

/finally watched Quiz Show
When you're at the grocery game and you hear the beep, think of all the fun you could have at "Crazy Rachel's Checkout Counter!"

Matt Ottinger

Set changes
« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2011, 02:57:12 PM »
Cures tired blood.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

Matt Ottinger

Set changes
« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2011, 03:07:46 PM »
In hindsight that seems awfully early, and there was indeed discussion about not building a new board until we knew we would be on for more than one 26-week cycle.
Speculating, but if you guys were a hit right out of the gate, then you might have known pretty quickly that you were going to be renewed.  Once you knew you were picked up, and you knew you wanted to have a new board, there wouldn't have been any compelling reason to wait 26 weeks to build it.

In other words, as much as this might pain gameshowlover87 to hear, you could easily be remembering this exactly right.  I think that's the point Joe was making.  You could have gotten the nod for more shows fairly early in the run, and, armed with that knowledge, gone ahead and built the new board.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

Vahan_Nisanian

Set changes
« Reply #24 on: August 20, 2011, 03:41:09 PM »
I didn't mean to hurt Chris' feelings, and I didn't realize it was in poor taste.

And don't even think about calling me Zach. I wouldn't be caught dead being associated with the likes of him.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2011, 03:41:35 PM by gameshowlover87 »

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
Set changes
« Reply #25 on: August 20, 2011, 03:48:24 PM »
And don't even think about calling me Zach. I wouldn't be caught dead being associated with the likes of him.
Just how old are you?
I didn't mean to hurt Chris' feelings, and I didn't realize it was in poor taste.
You didn't find
It's okay though, Chris. Not all of us can remember every bit of detail as we get older.
to be extremely patronizing?  If you didn't, perhaps you should be posting less.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2011, 03:50:31 PM by Modor »
--Mark
Phil 4:13

Vahan_Nisanian

Set changes
« Reply #26 on: August 20, 2011, 04:46:06 PM »
If you didn't, perhaps you should be posting less.

I've been well-behaved for the most part, save for some unintentional slip-ups such as this one time. No reason to gang up on me like that, like I'm the scum of the Earth and you're not.

Anyways, I'm done with this thread.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2011, 04:50:47 PM by gameshowlover87 »

mmb5

Set changes
« Reply #27 on: August 20, 2011, 04:55:00 PM »
It was also dark blue during a week of Betty White & Joel Brooks episodes in 1985 on the daytime edition, and a week of Vicki Lawrence & Brian Mitchell episodes for the syndicated version (premiere week of syndicated edition) in the same years. Both week could very well have been taped at the exact same time.
That's a minor miracle of television to produce two shows at the same time in the same studio with the same host.  Consecutively maybe, but not at the same time.
Now that I think about it, this is Bob Stewart we're talking about.  He very may have well have tried this.
Portions of this post not affecting the outcome have been edited or recreated.

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
Set changes
« Reply #28 on: August 20, 2011, 05:54:20 PM »
Ask Herb Stempel.
Stempel and Van Doren are still alive. Jack Barry is dead. Results inconclusive.

/Dan Enright and Paul Taubman: likewise dead.
//Vivienne Nearing, James Snodgrass and Elfrida Von Nardroff: I'll get back to you on that.

Cures tired blood.
Does the ethanol make the iron rust?
« Last Edit: August 20, 2011, 05:55:48 PM by chris319 »

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
Set changes
« Reply #29 on: August 20, 2011, 06:04:52 PM »
In hindsight that seems awfully early, and there was indeed discussion about not building a new board until we knew we would be on for more than one 26-week cycle.
Speculating, but if you guys were a hit right out of the gate, then you might have known pretty quickly that you were going to be renewed.  Once you knew you were picked up, and you knew you wanted to have a new board, there wouldn't have been any compelling reason to wait 26 weeks to build it.

In other words, as much as this might pain gameshowlover87 to hear, you could easily be remembering this exactly right.  I think that's the point Joe was making.  You could have gotten the nod for more shows fairly early in the run, and, armed with that knowledge, gone ahead and built the new board.
We weren't a hit but the ratings were adequate. In thinking this over, NBC may have decided "aw, what the heck?" and figured we'd be on long enough to warrant construction of the bigger board. By doing so they were banking that we'd be around at least until October '79 or even January '80, past one 26-week cycle.

It actually wasn't a new board; the existing light boxes and electronics were simply mounted on a big platform and put behind sliding doors.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2011, 09:08:55 PM by chris319 »