Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: UCLA Film and TV Archives questions  (Read 1310 times)

Vahan_Nisanian

UCLA Film and TV Archives questions
« on: August 19, 2011, 08:29:45 PM »
One of these days, I'm thinking of going to the UCLA Film and TV Archives. In the meantime, I have some questions about it:

1) From what I understand, you can't just walk into UCLA and watch whatever you want. You have to make arrangements ahead of time. How do you do that?

2) When you make arrangements, can you watch as many movies and/or TV shows as you want, or are you only limited to one for the day?

3) When you watch a film and/or TV show at UCLA, is it free?

RMF

« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2011, 08:59:10 PM »
One of these days, I'm thinking of going to the UCLA Film and TV Archives. In the meantime, I have some questions about it:

1) From what I understand, you can't just walk into UCLA and watch whatever you want. You have to make arrangements ahead of time. How do you do that?

2) When you make arrangements, can you watch as many movies and/or TV shows as you want, or are you only limited to one for the day?

3) When you watch a film and/or TV show at UCLA, is it free?

To answer all of these questions:

1.) The UCLA website explains its processes here (The "request items" entry is most important, but all sections have some information). In addition, this guide is important

2.) There's no stated limit, but the more you ask for, the longer preparations take (see previous links).

3.) Access is free.

mmb5

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2011, 09:59:24 AM »
To answer all of these questions:

1.) The UCLA website explains its processes here (The "request items" entry is most important, but all sections have some information). In addition, this guide is important

2.) There's no stated limit, but the more you ask for, the longer preparations take (see previous links).

3.) Access is free.

Go for study copies, you can get a one day turnaround and have virtually no limit.  If you ask for research copies, you have to wait two weeks and they will generally give you a hard limit (I usually got 2 or 4 when I asked).  Once somebody has had a research copy transferred, it becomes a study copy.

When I am asked if I could watch one thing, I would get The Game Show Show.  Although it's by today's standards looks like Public Access, you get interviews with people who normally didn't do interviews (Ralph Andrews, Jack Barry), they're not puff pieces, and the transitions are simply pictures off the TV of shows of the era (1971).  

As much as access is free, I always try to donate something.

If you don't want to go through the hassle, go to Paley.  Access is pretty instantaneous, although you only get two hours.

--Mike
Portions of this post not affecting the outcome have been edited or recreated.