Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Barker Interview  (Read 5261 times)

cmjb13

Barker Interview
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2003, 11:14:10 AM »
[quote name=\'Skynet74\' date=\'Dec 4 2003, 09:55 AM\']I give the Nod to Tom Bergeron[/quote]
I agree, but he's got to be weened off of using cue cards.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2003, 11:15:31 AM by cmjb13 »
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

Don Howard

Barker Interview
« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2003, 12:21:55 PM »
QUOTE (Skynet74 @ Dec 4 2003, 09:55 AM)
I give the Nod to Tom Bergeron

I have a hunch that shouldn't be too much trouble. My first exposure to him
was on fx's late great Breakfast Time, which was choc-full of ad libs.
My first choice would be Geoff Edwards, but since I think he's in his 60s,
"the suits" would say, "No way!!". Either Todd or Tom, I believe, would work
out great.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2003, 12:22:26 PM by Don Howard »

Neumms

Barker Interview
« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2003, 12:37:11 PM »
[quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Dec 4 2003, 07:47 AM\'] Some might argue a part of the reason CBS tried an hour-long Feud in 1992 is to see if Ray Combs could handle an hour-long format, and if he could handle it(he did an admirable job), perhaps then he could have been prepped to succeed Barker. [/quote]
I agree on Ray Combs. He'd have been terrific. His kind of energy seems more suited to TPIR than Bergeron's. Not that Bergeron isn't great, but he seems a little too cerebral, a little too sophisticated for this. Todd Newton'll be fine once he escapes Whammy.

The question I was trying to raise, though, was more about how hard it will be to pry Barker's hands off the mike.

Is it kind of a vanity thing, or will it be the financial interest in seeing the show remain successful be the motivation? I'd hate to see him go on so long we remember him as a doddering old fool, rather than an amazing broadcaster. Also, a timely, well-handled transition would help keep the show on the air.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2003, 12:38:20 PM by Neumms »

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Barker Interview
« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2003, 12:48:42 PM »
[quote name=\'Don Howard\' date=\'Dec 4 2003, 10:21 AM\'] [quote name=\'Skynet74\' date=\' Dec 4 2003, 09:55 AM\']
[/quote]
Either Todd or Tom, I believe, would work
out great. [/quote]
 At this time I would like to move that the banner at the top of this site be changed from "THE GAME SHOW FORUM" to "TOM DOESN'T WANT THE FREAKIN' JOB ALREADY"...
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

cmjb13

Barker Interview
« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2003, 12:54:03 PM »
The question I was trying to raise, though, was more about how hard it will be to pry Barker's hands off the mike.
Won't be easy that's for sure.

Is it kind of a vanity thing, or will it be the financial interest in seeing the show remain successful be the motivation?
I wouldn't be shocked of an on-air passing of the torch, but I would be shocked if someone else guest hosted/trained while Barker is still doing the show.
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

Jimmy Owen

Barker Interview
« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2003, 01:02:25 PM »
How about a karate match between old friends Chuck Norris and Bob Barker and whoever wins gets to be host of TPIR and the loser would be BANNED FROM TPIR FOR LIFE!
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Barker Interview
« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2003, 01:10:01 PM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' date=\'Dec 4 2003, 11:02 AM\'] How about a karate match between old friends Chuck Norris and Bob Barker and whoever wins gets to be host of TPIR and the loser would be BANNED FROM TPIR FOR LIFE! [/quote]
 I'd pay to watch that only if you could promise me that Stone Cold would do a run-in and drop a Stunner on both participants at some point. :)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Don Howard

Barker Interview
« Reply #22 on: December 04, 2003, 02:38:45 PM »
"TOM DOESN'T WANT THE FREAKIN' JOB ALREADY"...

That's too bad. Because he's going to host the show anyway whether he wants
to or not. I'll get to work on the blackmail right away.

uncamark

Barker Interview
« Reply #23 on: December 04, 2003, 04:46:40 PM »
[quote name=\'Don Howard\' date=\'Dec 4 2003, 12:21 PM\']

was on fx's late great Breakfast Time, which was choc-full of ad libs.[/quote]
And as I pointed out before, Tom didn't work with either cue cards or an IFB on "Breakfast Time"--just some note cards he occasionally looked at ("my ad libs, please," he'd always say before he made the daily walk down the hallway from the "ballroom" to the living room in the fX apartment) and his own instincts.  The only time he read from a prompter was in the early days when he and Laurie Hibberd did the news inserts before Jane Fergus took that over (and she then did the segments from her cubicle one floor above the apartment studio, so for a good portion of the run Tom never saw a prompter during the show).

cmjb13

Barker Interview
« Reply #24 on: December 04, 2003, 05:25:44 PM »
[quote name=\'uncamark\' date=\'Dec 4 2003, 04:46 PM\'][quote name=\'Don Howard\' date=\'Dec 4 2003, 12:21 PM\']

was on fx's late great Breakfast Time, which was choc-full of ad libs.[/quote]
And as I pointed out before, Tom didn't work with either cue cards or an IFB on "Breakfast Time"--just some note cards he occasionally looked at ("my ad libs, please," he'd always say before he made the daily walk down the hallway from the "ballroom" to the living room in the fX apartment) and his own instincts.  The only time he read from a prompter was in the early days when he and Laurie Hibberd did the news inserts before Jane Fergus took that over (and she then did the segments from her cubicle one floor above the apartment studio, so for a good portion of the run Tom never saw a prompter during the show).[/quote]
He uses cue cards on squares.

uncamark

Barker Interview
« Reply #25 on: December 05, 2003, 01:13:59 PM »
[quote name=\'cmjb13\' date=\'Dec 4 2003, 05:25 PM\']
And as I pointed out before, Tom didn't work with either cue cards or an IFB on "Breakfast Time"--just some note cards he occasionally looked at ("my ad libs, please," he'd always say before he made the daily walk down the hallway from the "ballroom" to the living room in the fX apartment) and his own instincts.  The only time he read from a prompter was in the early days when he and Laurie Hibberd did the news inserts before Jane Fergus took that over (and she then did the segments from her cubicle one floor above the apartment studio, so for a good portion of the run Tom never saw a prompter during the show).
He uses cue cards on squares.[/quote]
So did Peter Marshall--even though at one point he was doing the "Object for the players..." spiel faster than the cue card guy could change the cards.

Very often, game show producers still have the cards out even if the host's done the show for years, just as a backup in case they have a brain freeze.  I still recall Chuck Woolery saying in amazement, "I've been doing this show for five years and you still show me a card saying 'good morning and welcome to "Wheel of Fortune?"'"