Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Former host sighting  (Read 1639 times)

BrandonFG

Former host sighting
« on: August 21, 2011, 12:46:40 AM »
I work the graveyard shift on weekends, and part of my routine includes watching the programming on Antenna TV. So during the "3 Stooges" marathon, they constantly show a commercial for a cell phone company featuring "The McCann Twins".

So, I read through the comments, and find out that it's former Quicksilver host Ron Maestri in a double role*. Nothing earth-shattering, just a fun "Whatever Happened To..." type of update. If you can make it through the cheesiness of the commercial, my hat goes off to you. :-P

*There's more discussion in the comments about whether they were truly twins...had me doing a double take myself.
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

TimK2003

Former host sighting
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2011, 02:44:50 AM »
I work the graveyard shift on weekends, and part of my routine includes watching the programming on Antenna TV. So during the "3 Stooges" marathon, they constantly show a commercial for a cell phone company featuring "The McCann Twins".

So, I read through the comments, and find out that it's former Quicksilver host Ron Maestri in a double role*. Nothing earth-shattering, just a fun "Whatever Happened To..." type of update. If you can make it through the cheesiness of the commercial, my hat goes off to you. :-P

*There's more discussion in the comments about whether they were truly twins...had me doing a double take myself.

I've seen that commercial for months and I couldn't figure out why he/they looked so familiar.

MikeK

• Martha!
Former host sighting
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2011, 01:07:57 PM »
I've seen that commercial for months and I couldn't figure out why he/they looked so familiar.
What Tim said.  Even though that ad is annoying as all get out and it only plays 3 or 4 times an hour on Antenna TV, finding out Maestri played a dual role is actually kind of interesting.

/Come for the Stooges, stay for Benny Hill.

thewhammy_2000

Former host sighting
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2011, 10:50:15 PM »
[Eyes bugging out]

I've also watched this commercial for months, during Price and other local programming. Now their/his voice does sound familiar. I never would have noticed it for the life of me. It could have been Patrick Wayne or any other cheesy game show host and I still wouldn't have gotten it.

(With the sole exception of Peter Tomarken as a talk show host for Frosted Mini-Wheats (or some other product)).

TimK2003

Former host sighting
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2011, 12:47:34 PM »
One other interesting tidbit I saw on his bio is that if you own a Honda or Accura with an on-board navigation system (GPS), Ron is your "guiding voice" so to speak.

/Which brings me to another question:  If Ron Maestri can't find the answer to your navigational question, does he just say "Quicksilver"?

tvrandywest

Former host sighting
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2011, 01:55:58 PM »
Yes, Ron has done at least a couple of spots for this phone company over the past few years. He was living in his home town, Vegas, while I was there for TPiR-Live a couple of years ago, and is now in New York with a budding acting career. For those looking for more Maestri sightings, Ron shows up in occasional bit parts on everything from "Boardwalk Empire" to "Curb Your Enthusiasm."

Randy
tvrandywest.com
« Last Edit: August 24, 2011, 02:18:30 PM by tvrandywest »
The story behind the voice you know and love... the voice of a generation of game shows: Johnny Olson!

Celebrate the centennial of the America's favorite announcer with "Johnny Olson: A Voice in Time."

Preview the book free: click "Johnny O Tribute" http://www.tvrandywest.com