Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: So, about those Password wallets...  (Read 6492 times)

cliffhanger285

So, about those Password wallets...
« on: August 25, 2011, 03:45:10 PM »
I've always been curious about how those Password wallets were made. Anyone have photos of them or know how to make them?

Thanks,

Bryan

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2011, 04:35:46 PM »
They are based on the old McDonald's cardboard French Fry holders.  Put the word in the bottom, secure with a small bit of velcro and voila!
« Last Edit: August 25, 2011, 04:42:33 PM by Jimmy Owen »
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

Game Show Man

• Admiral Anaheim, Big Joey Numbers, etc.
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2011, 05:39:54 PM »
I've always been curious about how those Password wallets were made. Anyone have photos of them or know how to make them?

Thanks,

Bryan

Paging Mr. Clementson...
"Game Show Man" Joe Van Ginkel
captvangin@aol.com
"Remember, reality bites, so WATCH MORE GAME SHOWS!"

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2011, 05:50:30 PM »
He asked about Password, the version that debuted in 1961 I presume. That had a different wallet design than Password Plus. I am not familiar with the original design.

cliffhanger285

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2011, 05:55:54 PM »
I'm sorry - I meant Password Plus. Sorry for the confusion.

EDIT: Actually, either one would be good. I'm trying to recreate them for a Password game I'm having at my house.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2011, 09:14:11 PM by cliffhanger285 »

opimus

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2011, 07:29:31 PM »
The wallets on CBS Password looked liked they were made from leather.They were probably custom made for the show.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2011, 07:30:55 PM by opimus »

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2011, 09:37:03 PM »
The Password Plus wallets were a simpler design. They can be created from 3" x 5" index card stock and adhesive tape.

Take a 3" x 5" card oriented horizontally. Draw a line from the bottom left corner to a point 15/16" in from the upper left corner. Draw another line from the bottom right corner to a point 15/16" in from the upper right corner. Take another card and make a "sandwich" consisting of two cards. Cut along the lines you have drawn. This will give you two trapezoids 3" in height, 5" along the bottom aspect and 3 1/8" along the top aspect. Draw a vertical line from a point 15/16" in from the bottom left corner (directly below the top left corner of the trapezoid) and 15/16" in from the bottom right corner. Fold both cards along these lines. Apply tape along the 3 1/8" top aspect to form a hinge. Apply tape to the left and right aspects of the trapezoid so that, by squeezing the sides, the wallet will open.

For the passwords, cut some 3" x 5" cards in half. The result will be a series of cards measuring 3" x 2 1/2". The passwords are printed on these cards and fit inside the wallets. You can hold these cards in place with adhesive putty (the kind used to mount posters to a wall). This will enable you to remove the passwords and reuse the wallets. The process was more involved in 1979 but nowadays you can use a printer to print the passwords before cutting these cards in half. Alternatively, you could use very light-tack paper labels.

Once upon a time you could get small circular paper clips about the diameter of a dime. You could use these to keep the wallets closed and to hold the passwords in place. The wallets we used on the show were a little more elaborate in construction but this gives you the basic idea.

Let me know if my instructions need clarification.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2011, 09:39:28 PM by chris319 »

chrisholland03

« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2011, 08:35:08 AM »
I thought we were talking about the Amity wallets given to contestants as a consolation prize ;D

cliffhanger285

« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2011, 06:46:18 PM »
Thank you very much, Chris.

Are these the paper clips you were talking about:
Nifty Clips

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2011, 01:27:24 AM »
Thank you very much, Chris.

Are these the paper clips you were talking about:
Nifty Clips
Yes, those would work.

narzo

« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2011, 05:36:01 AM »
The Password Plus wallets were a simpler design. They can be created from 3" x 5" index card stock and adhesive tape.

Take a 3" x 5" card oriented horizontally. Draw a line from the bottom left corner to a point 15/16" in from the upper left corner. Draw another line from the bottom right corner to a point 15/16" in from the upper right corner. Take another card and make a "sandwich" consisting of two cards. Cut along the lines you have drawn. This will give you two trapezoids 3" in height, 5" along the bottom aspect and 3 1/8" along the top aspect. Draw a vertical line from a point 15/16" in from the bottom left corner (directly below the top left corner of the trapezoid) and 15/16" in from the bottom right corner. Fold both cards along these lines. Apply tape along the 3 1/8" top aspect to form a hinge. Apply tape to the left and right aspects of the trapezoid so that, by squeezing the sides, the wallet will open.

For the passwords, cut some 3" x 5" cards in half. The result will be a series of cards measuring 3" x 2 1/2". The passwords are printed on these cards and fit inside the wallets. You can hold these cards in place with adhesive putty (the kind used to mount posters to a wall). This will enable you to remove the passwords and reuse the wallets. The process was more involved in 1979 but nowadays you can use a printer to print the passwords before cutting these cards in half. Alternatively, you could use very light-tack paper labels.

Once upon a time you could get small circular paper clips about the diameter of a dime. You could use these to keep the wallets closed and to hold the passwords in place. The wallets we used on the show were a little more elaborate in construction but this gives you the basic idea.

Let me know if my instructions need clarification.

now how do I make the lazy susan that was in the host podium to hold my wallets?  What type and size font do I use for the passwords?  The wallets were painted colors, what were the hues used?

geno57

« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2011, 01:08:05 PM »
now how do I make the lazy susan that was in the host podium to hold my wallets?  What type and size font do I use for the passwords?  The wallets were painted colors, what were the hues used?

Y'know, I don't normally endorse violence.  But I might make an exception, in one case.  ;^)

narzo

« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2011, 03:04:07 PM »

Y'know, I don't normally endorse violence.  But I might make an exception, in one case.  ;^)

I was only teasing Chris because his explanation was so detailed it kind of surprised me.

Joe Mello

• has hit the time release button
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2011, 04:06:31 PM »
now how do I make the lazy susan that was in the host podium to hold my wallets?
You go to the office supply store and buy one.
This signature is currently under construction.

Mr. Brown

« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2011, 04:38:57 PM »

You know, this is why we can't have nice things.
Cheers,
Mr. Brown, Esq.
‎"I am on a drug. It's called Charlie Sheen. It's not available because if you try it, you will die. Your face will melt off and your children will weep over your exploded body." -Charlie Sheen