Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: So, about those Password wallets...  (Read 6491 times)

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
So, about those Password wallets...
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2011, 05:34:53 PM »
I hate to feed this question, but for the passwords they found a big, stinkin-huge electric typewriter with a gigantic font. It was loaded with carbon ribbons and Mark Bowerman used to type each password onto three adhesive paper labels: two for the wallets and one for the plastic rack that held the passwords in Allen's podium. Two of those labels were fastened to the half-index cards (2 1/2" x 3") which were in turn fastened to the inside of the wallets with adhesive putty by an I.A. prop person. The font of this typewriter was big -- not quite big enough for Lucille Ball -- but big enough for Allen to read.

The same kind of typewriter was used to type Hal Fishman's prompter copy at KTLA.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2011, 05:37:11 PM by chris319 »

narzo

« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2011, 08:51:43 PM »
Since this is turning into an "ask Chris" thread I do have one serious one I've always wondered.  Did they whisk the celebrities off the set during commercials so they didn't have to talk to the "common folks".  I could never imagine Lucille Ball wanting to sit and chat about life in Nebraska with the contestants for 2 minutes.

Robert Carter

« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2011, 10:29:05 PM »
I remember seeing that kind of typewriter, used for copy for the original TelePrompTers. Saw it at the CBS affiliate in Nashville, same studio where the syndie Candid Camera was taped (Fannie Flag co-host version) and also Hee Haw.

TimK2003

« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2011, 03:35:26 AM »
now how do I make the lazy susan that was in the host podium to hold my wallets?

I wouldn't necessarily call Susan "lazy" if she didn't want to hold wallets while underneath the host's podium. I think she may have had other things in mind. ;-)
« Last Edit: August 29, 2011, 03:36:57 AM by TimK2003 »

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2011, 03:38:22 AM »
You don't really want to discuss what was in the vicinity of that part of Allen's anatomy, no.

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2011, 03:40:36 AM »
Since this is turning into an "ask Chris" thread I do have one serious one I've always wondered.  Did they whisk the celebrities off the set during commercials so they didn't have to talk to the "common folks".  I could never imagine Lucille Ball wanting to sit and chat about life in Nebraska with the contestants for 2 minutes.
No, they were not whisked off the set. Usually Bobby Sherman would go up and make small talk, BUT with a representative of Compliance and Practices within earshot. Generally the civilians didn't hobnob with the celebs.

Yes, it's true that C&P had to accompany contestants to the men's/ladies' rooms.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2011, 03:44:01 AM by chris319 »

geno57

« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2011, 03:49:34 AM »
I remember seeing that kind of typewriter, used for copy for the original TelePrompTers. Saw it at the CBS affiliate in Nashville, same studio where the syndie Candid Camera was taped (Fannie Flag co-host version) and also Hee Haw.

In all of my years in broadcasting in Nashville, I don't think I'd ever heard that Candid Camera had been taped at Channel 5.  I knew about Hee Haw, though.

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2011, 06:50:04 AM »

In all of my years in broadcasting in Nashville, I don't think I'd ever heard that Candid Camera had been taped at Channel 5.  I knew about Hee Haw, though.
That's when Barbara Fairchild was co-host and T. Tommy Cutrer was announcer (narrator for those of you accustomed to wikipedia.)
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

Robert Carter

« Reply #23 on: August 30, 2011, 02:53:21 AM »

That's when Barbara Fairchild was co-host and T. Tommy Cutrer was announcer (narrator for those of you accustomed to wikipedia.)

Fannie Flagg was the co-host while taped in Nashville, at least part of the time; I think Phyllis George may have been in part of the Nashville run, too. Don't remember Fairchild on any run of Candid Camera, and the Wikipedia article on the show does not mention her, though that would not be a definitive authority, I'll admit.

My visit to the studio was in 1978, as a senior at a high school in Channel 5's viewing area. The station used to go to a different school each week for a show called "Spotlight on Schools," where a student crew filmed segments around the school, then visited the studio and did more taping. Got to play with a Chyron, watch the 6:00 news in-studio (hello, Chris Clark!), spin on the turntable used on the Candid Camera set, and visit the prop room where Hee Haw sets were stored. Somewhere out there are photos of me sitting in Archie Campbell's barber chair, standing in the famous cornfield and holding Junior Samples' "BR-549" sign. Loved every second. Wish there was a game-show connection here; only one I could find is the fact that the best surprised subject on CC got some prizes.

BrandonFG

« Reply #24 on: August 30, 2011, 06:10:30 AM »
Wish there was a game-show connection here; only one I could find is the fact that the best surprised subject on CC got some prizes.
Fannie Flagg being co-host works for me, given the Match Game connection. :-)

Great story BTW!
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!