Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Cheating on game shows (big time)  (Read 7008 times)

Justin30519

Cheating on game shows (big time)
« on: December 04, 2003, 07:24:09 PM »
Over Thanksgiving, I was watching Let's Make A Deal with my parents. They were doing the big deal. Flippantly, I said out loud, "I wonder if anybody has ever run up and looked behind the curtains." It actually got me wondering. In the 32 years TPIR has been on the air, has anyone ever looked under a shell on The Shell Game, pushed the reveal button on Double Prices, etc. What would the host say? What would happen to the contestant? And how would they edit something like this? This topic may seem frivolous to some. But, I am not a troll. I just think it would be amusing if anyone ever did this and really funny to see the look on the host's face.
Justin

TalkingHeadsFan

« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2003, 07:28:44 PM »
There was an incident on TPIR where a woman lifted up the shell during the Shell Game. Bob's reaction was absolutely "Priceless" (Yes, pun intended)...This moment can be seen over at www.tpir.tv

Brandon Brooks

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2003, 07:38:08 PM »
[quote name=\'Justin30519\' date=\'Dec 4 2003, 07:24 PM\'] Over Thanksgiving, I was watching Let's Make A Deal with my parents. They were doing the big deal. Flippantly, I said out loud, "I wonder if anybody has ever run up and looked behind the curtains." It actually got me wondering. In the 32 years TPIR has been on the air, has anyone ever looked under a shell on The Shell Game, pushed the reveal button on Double Prices, etc. What would the host say? What would happen to the contestant? And how would they edit something like this? This topic may seem frivolous to some. But, I am not a troll. I just think it would be amusing if anyone ever did this and really funny to see the look on the host's face.
Justin [/quote]
 If they did the incidents of which you speak of before instructions were given, automatic disqualification.  If they misunderstood, other measures would be taken, depending on the show.

Brandon Brooks

JayC

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2003, 07:48:00 PM »
Other Cheating moments that I remember
TPiR- 3 Strikes contestant is down to 1 # left and 2 strikes.  She has the strike in her hand and is about to pull it up, but quickly puts it back and pulls up the number.

UK Millionaire- I'm sure everyone's heard about this, but one contestant was helped out on almost every question by a member in the audience (the audience member coughed 1, 2, 3, or 4 times to symbolize which answer was right)

aaron sica

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2003, 07:52:20 PM »
[quote name=\'TalkingHeadsFan\' date=\'Dec 4 2003, 07:28 PM\'] There was an incident on TPIR where a woman lifted up the shell during the Shell Game. Bob's reaction was absolutely "Priceless" (Yes, pun intended)...This moment can be seen over at www.tpir.tv [/quote]
 Yes, you must go download it. Even if you are on dialup, go download it! Everybody knows the damn thing's there. :)

daveromanjr

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2003, 09:10:12 PM »
OK I'm stupid... I can't find that video on tpir.tv  Do you know under what section the link is located?

I redownloaded some clips from there I haven't seen in a while and the one with the 30th anniversary with the walk back stage and with the sound fx lady had a quick clip of the FF theme as the prize music for a car.  I've known they used it as a prize cue before but that's the first I've heard it used on the show (it grabbed my attention)
« Last Edit: December 04, 2003, 09:11:34 PM by daveromanjr »

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2003, 09:15:41 PM »
[quote name=\'aaron sica\' date=\'Dec 4 2003, 07:52 PM\'] [quote name=\'TalkingHeadsFan\' date=\'Dec 4 2003, 07:28 PM\'] There was an incident on TPIR where a woman lifted up the shell during the Shell Game. Bob's reaction was absolutely "Priceless" (Yes, pun intended)...This moment can be seen over at www.tpir.tv [/quote]
Yes, you must go download it. Even if you are on dialup, go download it! Everybody knows the damn thing's there. :) [/quote]
 This was never confirmed; it is simply a myth...
(regarding the 3 strikes incident)
--Mark
Phil 4:13

TV Favorites

« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2003, 09:24:33 PM »
The Shell Game video can be found on this page.

http://www.tpir.tv/bloopers/8/bloopers8.htm

It's the one on the right side on the first set.

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2003, 09:45:07 PM »
This was never confirmed; it is simply a myth...
(regarding the 3 strikes incident)

I never saw one where it was the game-ender, but on one episode (I may have it on tape, but I definitely did see it) an older woman sees a strike in her hand and drops it. Bob scolded her and she ended up losing anyway.

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

Justin30519

« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2003, 10:05:21 PM »
If they did the incidents of which you speak of before instructions were given, automatic disqualification. If they misunderstood, other measures would be taken, depending on the show.

I assume you meant after the instructions were given. I watched the Shell Game clip. Quite funny. I'm not sure if the contestant did it on purpose to try to cheat. Maybe it was just nerves. There are a few people out there (you can probably count them on one hand) who have never seen TPIR. When I was in high school, there was this man in my church who didn't own a TV - didn't want it "corrupting" his children.

The original idea behind my post was a contestant doing something that would ruin a game. Like Monty saying "Which curtain do you want?" and a contestant then running across the stage and looking behind the curtains. Or maybe on Golden Road, a contestant pulling the tab to see the price before they chose a digit. That would completely ruin the whole game. What would they do?

Justin Dyer

That Don Guy

« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2003, 10:47:09 PM »
[quote name=\'Justin30519\' date=\'Dec 4 2003, 10:05 PM\'] The original idea behind my post was a contestant doing something that would ruin a game. Like Monty saying "Which curtain do you want?" and a contestant then running across the stage and looking behind the curtains. [/quote]
Didn't this happen on an episode of Sanford & Son once (where somebody - I think it was Fred (Redd Foxx's character) - was on LMAD and looked behind a curtain to see what was behind it before trading what he had)?

As for the 3 Strikes "incident", I remember one where a contestant looked like she was trying to see whether she had a strike or a number, and Bob more or less gave her a warning; she did it a second time (with the last number needed for the car), and you could tell Bob was not overly excited that she had won.  (And wasn't there a show from this season where the contestant had the strike and looked like he/she tried to drop it back into the bag before pulling it out all the way?  I think Bob half-joked about what the contestant tried to do, and did count it as a strike.)

The closest I can think of to "cheating" besides those incidents was a woman playing "Pick A Number"; she told Bob what number she wanted, then (obviously misunderstanding the rules) she pulled up the correct number herself (but since it wasn't the one she had said, she lost).

-- Don

DrBear

« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2003, 12:11:33 AM »
I don't know if it's the same thing, but supposedly Samuel Goldwyn once blabbed to two WML panelists that he'd be that Sunday's Mystery Guest.
This isn't a plug, but you can ask me about my book.

uncamark

« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2003, 01:05:31 PM »
[quote name=\'DrBear\' date=\'Dec 5 2003, 12:11 AM\']I don't know if it's the same thing, but supposedly Samuel Goldwyn once blabbed to two WML panelists that he'd be that Sunday's Mystery Guest.[/quote]
In that instance the two panelists immediately disqualified themselves, following standard procedure.

There was the one instance where Walter Winchell found out a Mystery Guest booking and put it in his column.  In that instance, the Mystery Guest came out and then Daly asked the panel to take off their blindfolds.  He then mentioned the incident without mentioning Winchell's name, did the plug for whatever the Mystery Guest was promoting, sent him/her off the shake the panel's hands and then immediately brought out another Mystery Guest that Winchell hadn't been tipped on.

Johnissoevil

« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2003, 02:21:30 PM »
I must admit to a time I was tempted to cheat on one of GSN's Interactive originals, and hopefully, you people won't think any less of me, since I did make the right decision in the end.  I was watching the first airing of Whammy! one night, and I wrote down all of the info, when someone would Whammy, the right answers, etc.  I was going to use that info for the rerun later that night.  Just couldn't bring myself to do it.  Unfair disadvantage there, so I figured the hell with it.
In loving memory of my father, Curtis Fenner 4/29/44-8/13/15

BrandonFG

« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2003, 02:27:05 PM »
[quote name=\'That Don Guy\' date=\'Dec 4 2003, 10:47 PM\'] [quote name=\'Justin30519\' date=\'Dec 4 2003, 10:05 PM\'] The original idea behind my post was a contestant doing something that would ruin a game. Like Monty saying "Which curtain do you want?" and a contestant then running across the stage and looking behind the curtains. [/quote]
Didn't this happen on an episode of Sanford & Son once (where somebody - I think it was Fred (Redd Foxx's character) - was on LMAD and looked behind a curtain to see what was behind it before trading what he had)?

As for the 3 Strikes "incident", I remember one where a contestant looked like she was trying to see whether she had a strike or a number, and Bob more or less gave her a warning; she did it a second time (with the last number needed for the car), and you could tell Bob was not overly excited that she had won.  (And wasn't there a show from this season where the contestant had the strike and looked like he/she tried to drop it back into the bag before pulling it out all the way?  I think Bob half-joked about what the contestant tried to do, and did count it as a strike.)

The closest I can think of to "cheating" besides those incidents was a woman playing "Pick A Number"; she told Bob what number she wanted, then (obviously misunderstanding the rules) she pulled up the correct number herself (but since it wasn't the one she had said, she lost).

-- Don [/quote]
"Bubba, I won a watch!" That was Fred all right...funny episode too, even though they somehow let him keep the watch*. :-)

*I know, I know, it's TV.
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!