Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: "You Deserve It"  (Read 3999 times)

tvrandywest

"You Deserve It"
« on: September 09, 2011, 02:42:32 AM »
Chris Harrison ("Bachelor" et al) will be hosting a new trivia game show for ABC in which contestants play for "life changing" cash prizes that will be awarded to "the heroes among us."

The show has been casting for a few weeks, looking for contestants who provide a good human interest story of why they'd like to win for a deserving friend or family member who is the hero - described as someone who may have given much to their community but lost their own home, health or business in the process. The whole affair is to be kept secret from the hero until the big on-air reveal.

Chris is a solid game host who did Price-Live in the early days of the stage show, and the idea is timely as people are struggling through the economic hard times. We shall see.

Randy
tvrandywest.com
The story behind the voice you know and love... the voice of a generation of game shows: Johnny Olson!

Celebrate the centennial of the America's favorite announcer with "Johnny Olson: A Voice in Time."

Preview the book free: click "Johnny O Tribute" http://www.tvrandywest.com

Craig Karlberg

"You Deserve It"
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2011, 03:51:41 AM »
Randy, has ABC greenlighted this yet?  It would seem so if they're still casting.  If so, is there a firm launch date yet?

Matt Ottinger

"You Deserve It"
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2011, 09:56:57 AM »
I saw the pilot of this and really, really liked it.  I'll say more closer to air -- and yes, it's scheduled to air sometime after sweeps.  The human-interest element is certainly their gimmick and their draw, but there's a decent play-along-at-home game as well.  It may not be universally loved around here, but there's lots to like.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

weaklink75

"You Deserve It"
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2011, 05:44:55 PM »
I saw the pilot of this and really, really liked it.  I'll say more closer to air -- and yes, it's scheduled to air sometime after sweeps.  The human-interest element is certainly their gimmick and their draw, but there's a decent play-along-at-home game as well.  It may not be universally loved around here, but there's lots to like.

I heard it's going to get a Monday spot after DWTS is over in November.....

catkins522

"You Deserve It"
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2011, 08:43:29 PM »

Sort of like "Queen of the Day" and "Fanasty", right?

Charles Atkins
-----------

Bigger and better....in HD!!!!

Matt Ottinger

"You Deserve It"
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2011, 10:39:15 PM »
Sort of like "Queen of the Day" and "Fanasty", right?
Yes, that's the part of it that they'll be pushing.  I'm just telling you that unlike those giveaway shows, there's actually a game that has to be played, and the better it's played the more money the player wins.  You guys know how much the 'game' is important to me, so for now, just trust me that there's more to it than "sob sob, here's some money".

J.R.

"You Deserve It"
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2011, 10:48:46 PM »
"sob sob, here's some money".
That what they should rename "Minute To Win It".
-Joe Raygor

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
"You Deserve It"
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2011, 03:03:29 AM »
"Fanasty"
I saw this once, but I had to go way to the back of the video store behind the little curtain to find it. Coincidentally, the host of this one was also named Peter.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

NickS

"You Deserve It"
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2011, 07:06:53 AM »
"Fanasty"
I saw this once, but I had to go way to the back of the video store behind the little curtain to find it. Coincidentally, the host of this one was also named Peter.

Win.

ObYDI: I'll give it a try, since IIRC an alumni is helping produce the show.

/does this mean Ron Jeremy plays the role of Dionne Warwick?
//aisle seat, please

clemon79

"You Deserve It"
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2011, 01:57:08 PM »
So close! Leslie Uggams. :)

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
"You Deserve It"
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2011, 02:18:51 PM »
No contestants pushed in the water or falling through trap doors, no prizes falling off the roof and no stage money flushed down faux toilets. It'll never last.

NickS

"You Deserve It"
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2011, 03:17:29 PM »
So close! Leslie Uggams. :)
I stand completely corrected.  Why I went in the direction of Warwick, I have no idea.

/Now if I had said Nichelle Nichols, I'd be closer
//or not

clemon79

"You Deserve It"
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2011, 04:08:08 PM »
I stand completely corrected.  Why I went in the direction of Warwick, I have no idea.
Naw, I see it. They were mostly indistinguishable in the early '80s. :)

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
"You Deserve It"
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2011, 04:25:03 PM »
I think one question will tell me everything I want to know: Could the question/answer portion have sold as a show unto itself without being propped up by the Good Samaritan angle?
Travis L. Eberle

Matt Ottinger

"You Deserve It"
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2011, 05:29:42 PM »
I think one question will tell me everything I want to know: Could the question/answer portion have sold as a show unto itself without being propped up by the Good Samaritan angle?
I think everybody's going to have a different answer to that.  It appears Alex at Buzzerblog has seen the same thing I've seen and he doesn't seem to be quite as impressed.  It's fair to say that the game is completely independent of the "Good Samaritan angle" and does not come across as an afterthought.  Here, it's going to easily deconstruct the way we always do as "this show plus a little of that show with a part of that other show that only we remember".  In fact, what it reminded me the most of is a solitaire version of a game that only we remember.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2011, 05:30:57 PM by Matt Ottinger »