Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: "The Substitute"  (Read 5357 times)

bwood

"The Substitute"
« on: September 10, 2011, 02:39:41 PM »
This just came across the news feed on my phone. Haven't heard about this one:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/mtvs-substitute-sneak-peek-at-233637

DoorNumberFour

• ChristianCarrion.com
"The Substitute"
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2011, 03:44:08 PM »

As someone who's taken part in an MTV "game show", I can say with confidence...do not expect anything likeable to come from an MTV game show. They're complete crap, and they have the production values of crappy TV movies.
Digital Media Producer, National Archives of Game Show History
"Tell Us About Yourself: Conversations with Game Show Contestants" available on all streaming services
christian@christiancarrion.com

byrd62

"The Substitute"
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2011, 03:54:59 PM »

As someone who's taken part in an MTV "game show", I can say with confidence...do not expect anything likeable to come from an MTV game show. They're complete crap, and they have the production values of crappy TV movies.

I wonder if that statement makes Remote Control, Idiot Savants, Lip Service, Turn it Up and Singled Out--all studio-based MTV game shows from back in the '80s and '90s--look so well-produced by comparison?

Matt Ottinger

"The Substitute"
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2011, 03:58:17 PM »
It sounds like what you're saying is that because you had one negative experience, you are now qualified to say with certainty that no game show ever produced for MTV can possibly have any worth whatsoever.  Interesting perspective.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
"The Substitute"
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2011, 04:08:43 PM »

That $1 on Next didn't do it for ya, huh?
--Mark
Phil 4:13

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
"The Substitute"
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2011, 04:13:25 PM »
It sounds like what you're saying is that because you had one negative experience, you are now qualified to say with certainty that no game show ever produced for MTV can possibly have any worth whatsoever.  Interesting perspective.
Well, now, in his defense, he said "do not expect." I don't expect Ludia's GS products to be anything but utter crap (and Randy's fine voice work notwithstanding, Hole In The Wall did not disappoint), but that doesn't mean I can't be pleasantly shocked if I were to be proven wrong.

Admittedly, the latter half of his statement moves closer to a declarative as opposed to merely setting expectations.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
"The Substitute"
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2011, 04:58:09 PM »
That $1 on Next didn't do it for ya, huh?
Congratulations on proving his point.

The elevator pitch is that a game show is sprung on a classroom of high schoolers, and one of them ends up winning a cash prize at the end of class by playing various quiz games. The mechanic of "Surprise! You're on a game show!" is used beautifully on Cash Cab, and was interesting on Instant Recall but the game was barren. If this gets us away from another permutation of teenage Dating Game and back to fundamentals, that's fine by me.
Travis L. Eberle

Jimmy Owen

"The Substitute"
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2011, 08:15:32 AM »
It looks okay.  Anybody else getting a "Family Feud with facts" vibe?
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

Matt Ottinger

"The Substitute"
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2011, 09:27:47 AM »
Not really, to tell you the truth.  Now that you mention it, I certainly see the superficial visual similarity, but facing off like that is certainly not unique to the Feud.  Besides, I thought we already decided that Pointless was Family Feud with facts.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

ChrisLambert!

• Overthrow, Sister Havana
"The Substitute"
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2011, 10:01:18 AM »

Mmmm. warm blanket statements.

'Silent Library' was watchable (depending on the contestants), as long as you knew going in what you were gonna get.
@lambertman

Jimmy Owen

"The Substitute"
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2011, 10:17:51 AM »
Obviously, not destined for a long run once it hits the air, unless they get different "substitute" hosts.

tpirfan28

"The Substitute"
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2011, 10:21:13 AM »
Closer to an elongated extension of the Greed "terminator" game.
When you're at the grocery game and you hear the beep, think of all the fun you could have at "Crazy Rachel's Checkout Counter!"

Joe Mello

• has hit the time release button
"The Substitute"
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2011, 12:56:28 PM »
Obviously, not destined for a long run once it hits the air, unless they get different "substitute" hosts.
How many episodes of Cash Cab are there?
This signature is currently under construction.

DoorNumberFour

• ChristianCarrion.com
"The Substitute"
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2011, 01:03:16 PM »

What I meant to say was this: MTV does not produce game shows like Remote Control, Idiot Savants, etc. anymore. MTV produces their game shows the same way they produce Jersey Shore or any of their more popular shows--lots of post-production dialogue, scripted comebacks, and so on. And I'm saying not to expect anything as good as you can imagine--in the same way Nickelodeon announced BrainSurge a couple of years back and some people expected the return of Concentration.

I would LOVE to be proven wrong, but I lost faith in MTV putting out quality programming a long time ago.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2011, 01:04:29 PM by DoorNumberFour »
Digital Media Producer, National Archives of Game Show History
"Tell Us About Yourself: Conversations with Game Show Contestants" available on all streaming services
christian@christiancarrion.com

Jimmy Owen

"The Substitute"
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2011, 01:29:22 PM »
How many episodes of Cash Cab are there?
Not sure, but CC has started having different hosts recently.