Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: "The Substitute"  (Read 5356 times)

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
"The Substitute"
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2011, 04:23:58 PM »
Obviously, not destined for a long run once it hits the air, unless they get different "substitute" hosts.
How many episodes of Cash Cab are there?
Snap. Somebody just got told.
Travis L. Eberle

NickS

"The Substitute"
« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2011, 04:44:29 PM »
I would LOVE to be proven wrong, but I lost faith in MTV putting out quality programming a long time ago.

You know, for someone that's appeared on a Michael Davies-produced show in the past, you're quick to bite the hand that fed you.  You're blaming MTV (and I will give them shit as once you've seen the original Silent Library, contestant-based Silent Library is nowhere near as good.  Now if they went the Kiki (insert food here) route...) and not necessarily the producers.  Davies has usually had good shows, so I would give him the benefit of the doubt to at least sample the show.

THR has a quick :30ish clip link here.  (hat tip - Chad Mosher)

This is why I usually reserve judgment before I see the actual show.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2011, 04:46:46 PM by NickS »

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
"The Substitute"
« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2011, 04:55:43 PM »
Davies has usually had good shows, so I would give him the benefit of the doubt to at least sample the show.
M. Davies has done well with studio based quiz tournaments, and Millionaire. Once he leaves that realm it starts to go south. I'd love for this to do well, because I like quiz shows. The look is a Frankenberry of the Greed Terminator and Around-the-World: I'm intrigued.

(There's a different version of Silent Library? I was not aware of this.)
Travis L. Eberle

NickS

"The Substitute"
« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2011, 05:02:43 PM »
(There's a different version of Silent Library? I was not aware of this.)

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bsP9KH7EBN0&feature=related[/media]

Points to you, sir, for knowing the original.

/Gaki was Jackass before Jackass was Jackass

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
"The Substitute"
« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2011, 05:15:06 PM »
I knew that it came from a Japanese variety show, I thought that there were perhaps two or more versions of the show on MTV. (Really, one was plenty.)
Travis L. Eberle

DoorNumberFour

• ChristianCarrion.com
"The Substitute"
« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2011, 06:15:16 PM »
You know, for someone that's appeared on a Michael Davies-produced show in the past, you're quick to bite the hand that fed you.
I don't think this is quite the right phrase...he "fed" me as much as I provided his show with extra entertainment value, as all contestants do. It takes two to tango, so to speak. I can have whatever opinion I please, regardless of whether I've been on one of his shows or not. Michael Davies has been behind a couple of shows which I think have been the worst in a long time. Will he take the money back if he finds out I said that? Probably not.

Also, nowhere did I say I wasn't gonna give it a chance. As pessimistic as I may have sounded, I'll still check it out.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2011, 06:22:15 PM by DoorNumberFour »
Digital Media Producer, National Archives of Game Show History
"Tell Us About Yourself: Conversations with Game Show Contestants" available on all streaming services
christian@christiancarrion.com

BrandonFG

"The Substitute"
« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2011, 07:15:59 PM »
From the clip I just saw, it looks fun enough. Yeah, it has the same template as every other MTV show (withholding my opinion of Viacom), but it actually looks like it could be worth watching.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

chad1m

"The Substitute"
« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2011, 12:14:28 AM »
On a network populated by Jersey Shore and Teen Mom, this show wasn't bad at all. The format works like this: (There are spoilers contained within on a prize given out and the end outcome)

This episode started off with the 20 students in the classroom, two at a time in pre-selected pairs, each going up and facing off one-on-one. In round one, "Things You Should Know," each pair was asked one fairly-softball academically-related question. The first person to ring in with the correct answer advanced and the other person was eliminated. If the person who rang in was incorrect, the other person had to answer correctly to move on. Two of these face-offs were deemed "Extra Credit." The winners of these went against each other at the end of round one for a mystery bonus prize. This episode's was an HDTV and Blu-Ray player.

Round two works very similarly to round one, weeding ten students down to five in the pop culture round "Things You Do Know." There were no bonuses in this round. The five remaining students went against each other in round three's "Things You Do" round. This episode's challenge had each student simultaneously putting six events chronologically on a magnetized whiteboard. The student who put the most events in order correctly and, in the event of a tie was quickest, advanced to the final showdown. The twist here is that the rest of the class votes from the remaining four finalists to determine who faces off against round three's winner. If the winner wins the final showdown, he wins the $5,000 grand prize but if the class favorite wins, the rest of the class splits the prize.

Round four is a best-of-five Family Feud-esque round, "What You Think." The students are asked questions given to a national sample of teens like "What should a guy get for a girl on Valentine's Day?", "What is your worst habit?" and "To the nearest hundred, how many Facebook friends do you have?" The first person to signal gets to give a first answer and the other person, naturally, goes second. The questions are read consecutively and after all have been read, the percentage of respondents that gave each student's answer is revealed. On this particular episode, the class won after their representative got the win on the fifth question, 3-2.

There's no artificial drama, no confessionals, no host-induced trash talking, no super-dramatic face close-up reveals. Just 22 minutes of a cut-and-dry game show with a good amount of material (although, admittedly, not terribly difficult) with high schoolers as contestants. It's perfectly harmless and is a bright spot on MTV's schedule. Give it a watch if watching teens on a game show interests you.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2011, 12:22:04 AM by chad1m »

DoorNumberFour

• ChristianCarrion.com
"The Substitute"
« Reply #23 on: September 13, 2011, 12:30:46 AM »
Seconded. I will absolutely eat a lifetime supply of crow.
Digital Media Producer, National Archives of Game Show History
"Tell Us About Yourself: Conversations with Game Show Contestants" available on all streaming services
christian@christiancarrion.com

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
"The Substitute"
« Reply #24 on: September 13, 2011, 12:38:37 AM »
Give it a watch if watching teens on a game show interests you.
And you can under no circumstance wait for October and Quizbusters 23: Rise of the Machines.
Travis L. Eberle

Jimmy Owen

"The Substitute"
« Reply #25 on: September 13, 2011, 06:52:44 AM »
My initial FF vibe turned out to be correct, after all.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.