Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Press Your Luck Feature  (Read 3108 times)

calliaume

Press Your Luck Feature
« on: July 16, 2010, 09:37:06 AM »
Public radio show This American Life will (apparently) run a feature on the Michael Larson episodes this weekend.  (I say apparently because it's not shown on the website, I heard a promo on my local station this morning.)  It may not have anything we haven't heard a dozen times, but This American Life is a pretty quirky show, so there might be something of interest.

Check local listings for air time and station; it airs in some markets twice.

TimK2003

Press Your Luck Feature
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2010, 06:57:03 PM »
[quote name=\'calliaume\' post=\'244265\' date=\'Jul 16 2010, 07:37 AM\']Public radio show This American Life will (apparently) run a feature on the Michael Larson episodes this weekend.  (I say apparently because it's not shown on the website, I heard a promo on my local station this morning.)  It may not have anything we haven't heard a dozen times, but This American Life is a pretty quirky show, so there might be something of interest.

Check local listings for air time and station; it airs in some markets twice.[/quote]

I caught the first and last 5 minutes of the segment.  There are audio clips of his appearance on PYL, and some interview segments with Michael's then-wife, and also with his brother. A very interesting listen, as I don't recall any prior Larsen-related program ever having interviews with family members -- only those associated with the show and the contestants from that episode.

For those who are interested in hearing the entire segment, the podcast will be available at the NPR website (http://www.thisamericanlife.org/radio-arch...ion-dollar-idea) after 7PM (Eastern) Sunday evening. Until then, as Curt has mentioned above, check your local NPR station's listings for a "live" airing this weekend.  It starts about 35 minutes into the show.

tpirfan28

Press Your Luck Feature
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2010, 08:43:43 PM »
[quote name=\'TimK2003\' post=\'244385\' date=\'Jul 17 2010, 06:57 PM\']A very interesting listen, as I don't recall any prior Larsen-related program ever having interviews with family members -- only those associated with the show and the contestants from that episode.[/quote]
His brother and common-law wife were interviewed on the excellent Big Bucks: the Press Your Luck Scandal doc.
When you're at the grocery game and you hear the beep, think of all the fun you could have at "Crazy Rachel's Checkout Counter!"

Thunder

Press Your Luck Feature
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2010, 09:07:28 PM »
[quote name=\'TimK2003\' post=\'244385\' date=\'Jul 17 2010, 06:57 PM\']For those who are interested in hearing the entire segment, the podcast will be available at the NPR website...

...Until then, as Curt has mentioned above, check your local NPR station's listings for a "live" airing this weekend.  It starts about 35 minutes into the show.[/quote]

As someone who has contributed and participated in a "This American Life" show segment, I'm obliged to say the show is distributed by Public Radio International and not NPR.

tpirfan28

Press Your Luck Feature
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2010, 08:40:32 PM »
It's up...go to the 38 minute mark in the stream for the PYL bit.
When you're at the grocery game and you hear the beep, think of all the fun you could have at "Crazy Rachel's Checkout Counter!"

Bobby B.

Press Your Luck Feature
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2010, 06:26:57 PM »
I thought it was very interesting to hear more details about the various scams in which Michael was involved.  We caught a little bit of that in the "Big Bucks" documentary, but not very much.

alfonzos

Press Your Luck Feature
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2011, 06:00:23 PM »
This being rerun in Los Angeles on Saturday, August 6. Here is a link to KCRW's web site.
A Cliff Saber Production
email address: alfonzos@aol.com
Boardgame Geek user name: alfonzos

alfonzos

Press Your Luck Feature
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2011, 03:52:23 PM »
FTR, here is another article about the incident.
A Cliff Saber Production
email address: alfonzos@aol.com
Boardgame Geek user name: alfonzos