Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Rutgers New Jersey Bowl  (Read 2354 times)

JacksonBrowne1980

• I Played With The Toys At My Schools I Went To
Rutgers New Jersey Bowl
« on: September 18, 2011, 02:30:36 PM »
there was a game show on new jersey channel in the 80s called the rutgers new jersey boel, does anyone remember this?
Erik "Taz" Mokracek

"Well, I Guess You Have To Be 35 Before Anyone Around Here Listens To You" - Alex Pruitt From "Home Alone 3"

William_S.

Rutgers New Jersey Bowl
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2011, 04:45:45 PM »
There was a game show on New Jersey Channel (Later called NJN) in the 80s called the Rutgers New Jersey bowl, Does anyone remember this?

1. Fixed it for ya, so you look professional.....I guess...

2. Besides Me, I don't think anyone outside the armpit state (or at least anyone that gives a damn) would know about this. It's pretty much a "Dodo" gem to anyone who likes state side trivia. Other than that it had some nifty sounding buzzers. And the host resembled a bit like Bill Cullen. that's all that I have.

/Or then again they do give a damn.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2012, 04:05:11 AM by William_S. »

SFQuizKid

Rutgers New Jersey Bowl
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2011, 06:22:41 PM »
Count me among those who remember it...it didn't stay on the air beyond 1983 or 1984 so I never made a videotape of it.  I do have an audio tape and if there's interest I'll upload it.

Basically it was. 4-on-4 competition with a format pretty close to the original College Bowl.  Nifty score displays like those on TPIR's Contestant's Row.

Allstar87

Rutgers New Jersey Bowl
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2011, 07:25:40 PM »
Did some Googling and found this picture from a 1989 article.

rjaguar3

Rutgers New Jersey Bowl
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2011, 11:01:24 PM »
Actually, this summer, I found a transcript of the questions of an entire episode of the show (namely the 1986 Student-Teacher challenge) in The Book of Tests by Allen D. Bragton (Harper & Row Publishers: New York, 1989).  On p. 287, there is an introduction about the show, which is described as "now in its eighth season" (Bragton 287).  The format has four rounds, a toss-up and bonus round, a challenge round for each team, and a final toss-up round where toss-ups are valued at 20 points each (Bragton 287).

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
Rutgers New Jersey Bowl
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2011, 11:59:08 PM »
(Bragton 287).  
Did we become wikipedia or require MLA attribution in our posts and I just wasn't informed?

/actually bought that book at a community college book sale about ten years ago.
Travis L. Eberle

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
Rutgers New Jersey Bowl
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2011, 06:11:05 AM »
(Bragton 287).  
Did we become wikipedia or require MLA attribution in our posts and I just wasn't informed?
I got the memo!
--Mark
Phil 4:13

irwinsjournal.com

Rutgers New Jersey Bowl
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2011, 11:20:23 AM »
My brother was actually on the program as part of our high school's team.  They lasted either one or two shows, I don't remember.  I recalled the title being "Rutgers Bowl" not "Rutgers New Jersey Bowl" but it could have changed over time.

I don't remember much about it other than it was a basic quiz show; thanks to those who checked it out and posted.

There might be a videotape of his team's appearance back at my parents house.  It would be VHS, taped off the air and probably not terribly good quality.  I can try to dig it out if there is any interest when I next visit.

If "Rutgers Bowl" is obscure, then what does that make "Challenge," a similarly formatted show that ran on the then Suburban Cablevision (now part of whatever cable service that is down there now)?   My brother was on that as well.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2011, 11:23:13 AM by irwinsjournal.com »
George in Ellison Park, NY

irwinsjournal.com

Allstar87

Rutgers New Jersey Bowl
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2011, 02:39:55 PM »
I would be interested in seeing it. I enjoy watching local shows like that. :)

Johnissoevil

Rutgers New Jersey Bowl
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2011, 06:45:37 PM »
I remember the show myself.  All I remember are the "College in New Jersey" ads, and the tagline "It worked for me.  Let it work for you."
In loving memory of my father, Curtis Fenner 4/29/44-8/13/15

irwinsjournal.com

Rutgers New Jersey Bowl
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2011, 12:47:21 PM »
I would be interested in seeing it. I enjoy watching local shows like that. :)

OK, that's one vote, good enough!  I won't be back down at my parents for a while but I will see if I can do some digging when I get there.
George in Ellison Park, NY

irwinsjournal.com